Tag Chris Jones

Had a list on page 3 of likely destinations. Haven't really looked to see where everyone ended up with regards to the cap lately. 

Edit: I'm an idiot... meant to quite jetlord's question

Still think the most likely trade partner would be Tampa Bay. Now that they appear to be securing Brady as their QB, they still have the money to sign Barrett and Jones long-term. #14 plus a 3rd? Buckner is the benchmark and got #13 and he's nearly as good a pass rusher and a better run defender. 

4 minutes ago, kccrow said:

Still think the most likely trade partner would be Tampa Bay. Now that they appear to be securing Brady as their QB, they still have the money to sign Barrett and Jones long-term. #14 plus a 3rd? Buckner is the benchmark and got #13 and he's nearly as good a pass rusher and a better run defender. 

Carolina could be an interesting trade partner too. They could use a guy like Watkins to mentor some of their young talent like DJ Moore and curtis samuel

7 minutes ago, kccrow said:

I think Jones should command more for sure imo. He had a weaker cast support on the line and did all he did with that support. 14th and a 3rd would be the lowest I would like to see. Maybe 13th this year, a player and a 3rd next year. That would work best.

20 hours ago, jetlord said:

Who do you see as potential traders for Jones?  TPA?  Does Watkins have much trade value since he'll want to get paid after the $7 million from the Chiefs expires after this season?  Lots of promising receivers in the draft at much lower cost. 

I could see Miami getting in on Jones trade.  They are making big signings and still have over $50M in cap left and tons of picks.  Phins have 3 1st rounds and 2 2nds this year!  And a couple 1st next year too.

Maybe something like...

Miami gets:

Jones

Chiefs get:

OR

#18+#26

OR

#18+2nd rounder+2021 1st

39 minutes ago, Balto said:

I could see Miami getting in on Jones trade.  They are making big signings and still have over $50M in cap left and tons of picks.  Phins have 3 1st rounds and 2 2nds this year!  And a couple 1st next year too.

Maybe something like...

Miami gets:

Jones

Chiefs get:

OR

#18+#26

OR

#18+2nd rounder+2021 1st

I don't think there's anyway those scenarios are likely.  They need a QB still.  Plus I don't think 2 firsts are that likely unless multiple teams are hot after him.

42 minutes ago, Balto said:

Maybe something like...

Miami gets:

Jones

Chiefs get:

OR

#18+#26

OR

#18+2nd rounder+2021 1st

Or maybe something realistic like #18 by itself or #26 by itself.

17 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Or maybe something realistic like #18 by itself or #26 by itself.

To low compared to what SF got for Buckner. If 18th or 26th they need to add another pick for sure. Chiefs better point to the Buckner trade as a benchmark. If not, keep him and tag and trade him next year.

Still though, one would want to sell high and as pointed out he did not have the line help buckner did. Also pointed out he can play 34 or 43 defense. Jones is worth more.

1 hour ago, kkuenn said:

To low compared to what SF got for Buckner. If 18th or 26th they need to add another pick for sure. Chiefs better point to the Buckner trade as a benchmark. If not, keep him and tag and trade him next year.

Still though, one would want to sell high and as pointed out he did not have the line help buckner did. Also pointed out he can play 34 or 43 defense. Jones is worth more.

Yeah I think #26 and a 3rd would do it for me.   Or #18 alone.  We could get a stud in this draft at 18. Then we could trade 32 to add another pick.   However, I think Veach comes out looking bad initially because of Ballard.  However the Colts aren’t winning anything and I think Veach has earned the benefit of the doubt.  

18 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Yeah I think #26 and a 3rd would do it for me.   Or #18 alone.  We could get a stud in this draft at 18. Then we could trade 32 to add another pick.   However, I think Veach comes out looking bad initially because of Ballard.  However the Colts aren’t winning anything and I think Veach has earned the benefit of the doubt.  

Veach has a ring. Ballard could not have done much more in 2 years other than winning 2. Still he has yet to win one with the Colts.  I don't know if Ballard would have done it the way Veach has, maybe fire Sutton a year earlier?

35 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Why would Veach take less than what Buckner cost?

33 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

#18 and a third would be gold for the Chiefs.  Then trade #32 for a high second and a fourth.  Eight picks in the first five rounds should net some instant starters and some great potential.

I do disagree with some who seem to value Jones trade potential as higher than realistic.  Every fan base is probably the same way, but if any team offered what a few in this thread have suggested, he would be long gone by now unless he refuses to agree to a contract with anyone. 

5 hours ago, Balto said:

Maybe something like...

Miami gets:

Jones

Chiefs get:

OR

#18+#26

OR

#18+2nd rounder+2021 1st

I would be happy with #18 + 2021 1st/2nd. Anything above that is just a huge bonus.

I will say this. If the Chiefs do trade Chris Jones, there is likely going to be some very upset people around here when they see the compensation. 

Then all the same people that were calling for his job last year will have their pitchforks back out, because he's an idiot.

Teams know the Chiefs have no cap room. They know we dont have a lot of picks. The colts didnt have either of those problems. Not to mention the fact that their GM was here in KC when Jones was drafted and still preferred Buckner.

I'm not saying he will be traded for a 4th or anything ridiculous like that. But if Veach can get a first rounder, I think he jumps. And he should. 

He traded a stud corner in his prime for a 2 and a 5, and an edge rusher in his prime for a 2. For some reason people think he should ask for much more than that for Jones. 

I really hope I'm wrong.

38 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I will say this. If the Chiefs do trade Chris Jones, there is likely going to be some very upset people around here when they see the compensation. 

Then all the same people that were calling for his job last year will have their pitchforks back out, because he's an idiot.

Teams know the Chiefs have no cap room. They know we dont have a lot of picks. The colts didnt have either of those problems. Not to mention the fact that their GM was here in KC when Jones was drafted and still preferred Buckner.

I'm not saying he will be traded for a 4th or anything ridiculous like that. But if Veach can get a first rounder, I think he jumps. And he should. 

He traded a stud corner in his prime for a 2 and a 5, and an edge rusher in his prime for a 2. For some reason people think he should ask for much more than that for Jones. 

I really hope I'm wrong.

Wasn't it a 2nd and a 3rd? 

I am at the other end of the equation.

Chris Jones is the heart of the defense.  He, Honey Badger and Clark are the difference makers.  I think (and Hope) Veach finds a way to keep him.

Of course, my underlying assumption is that Mahomes is a Chief for life.

Our Window is WIDE OPEN....Keep the Known difference makers and plug and play with the rest.

w

Some GMs just seem more astute at getting higher value in trades. Don't think Veach falls into that group. A 1st and 3rd seems realistic although it's possible in the hands of another a GM might squeeze out a 1st and a 2nd.

1 hour ago, sith13 said:

Wasn't it a 2nd and a 3rd? 

2nd and 4th. Ford for a 2nd. Thing is Ford was always injured other than his contract year. We saw how much he played last year too. 

Peters was also then traded for a 5th round pick and a player to the Ravens.

I think Veach did well in both trades.

2 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I really hope I'm wrong.

No cap room?  Cut Sammy and we do....pretty easy fix.

Or Colts went the cheaper route with Buckner and didn’t wanna pay Veach’s price?

Or Veach didn’t wanna trade him to a team we will compete with?

Or Veach has no plans to trade him unless it’s a crazy offer?

5 hours ago, West said:

I am at the other end of the equation.

Chris Jones is the heart of the defense.  He, Honey Badger and Clark are the difference makers.  I think (and Hope) Veach finds a way to keep him.

Of course, my underlying assumption is that Mahomes is a Chief for life.

Our Window is WIDE OPEN....Keep the Known difference makers and plug and play with the rest.

w

I agree. They must find a way to keep Jones. there are other ways ( like Watkins) to increase cash flow. Draft picks are great but we are talking about a top 5 D lineman in his prime.