Tag Chris Jones

8 hours ago, West said:

I am at the other end of the equation.

Chris Jones is the heart of the defense.  He, Honey Badger and Clark are the difference makers.  I think (and Hope) Veach finds a way to keep him.

Of course, my underlying assumption is that Mahomes is a Chief for life.

Our Window is WIDE OPEN....Keep the Known difference makers and plug and play with the rest.

w

I like your scenario.

11 hours ago, West said:

I am at the other end of the equation.

Chris Jones is the heart of the defense.  He, Honey Badger and Clark are the difference makers.  I think (and Hope) Veach finds a way to keep him.

Of course, my underlying assumption is that Mahomes is a Chief for life.

Our Window is WIDE OPEN....Keep the Known difference makers and plug and play with the rest.

w

Guess we'll have to disagree.  Jones is a very good player and his batted passes in the playoffs were difference makers.  In spite of that, I think Buckner had more value as a FA.  He plays hard every down and is a much better run defender.  Jones is less rounded although a great pass rusher from the DT position.  If the Chiefs can turn him into a first round pick which would fill a position of need while shedding Jones' cost, they should consider it.  Without Jones, they could re-sign a few players from last season and be in position to pick up second tier FAs.  They would also be better positioned to sign Mahomes.  No way should Jones receive a long term contract with the Chiefs for over $20 million. 

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

Guess we'll have to disagree.  Jones is a very good player and his batted passes in the playoffs were difference makers.  In spite of that, I think Buckner had more value as a FA.  He plays hard every down and is a much better run defender.  Jones is less rounded although a great pass rusher from the DT position.  If the Chiefs can turn him into a first round pick which would fill a position of need while shedding Jones' cost, they should consider it.  Without Jones, they could re-sign a few players from last season and be in position to pick up second tier FAs.  They would also be better positioned to sign Mahomes.  No way should Jones receive a long term contract with the Chiefs for over $20 million. 

Frank Clark or Chris Jones?

1 hour ago, ChiefThunder said:

Extend CJ now and Mahomes in '21. There is no rush to lockdown Mahomes right now. 

They can't extend Jones now unless they release Watkins and that still leaves no room for re-signing any of their lower cost players and their draft class. 

7 hours ago, jetlord said:

They can't extend Jones now unless they release Watkins and that still leaves no room for re-signing any of their lower cost players and their draft class. 

I’m not sure this is accurate. Once the Chiefs tagged CJ the full amount of the tag is immediately applied to the current cap year. Is that not correct?  If it is, then any deal done with CJ would most certainly have a much lower year 1 cap charge than the franchise tag amount.  Getting a deal done with CJ lowers his current cap charge and increases cap space. 

1 hour ago, TomahawkChop said:

I’m not sure this is accurate. Once the Chiefs tagged CJ the full amount of the tag is immediately applied to the current cap year. Is that not correct?  If it is, then any deal done with CJ would most certainly have a much lower year 1 cap charge than the franchise tag amount.  Getting a deal done with CJ lowers his current cap charge and increases cap space. 

Correct, full amount of tag is charged to the cap when applied by the team, not when player signs it.  Signing a long term contract would almost certainly lower the cap hit this year if they structured it that way.

13 minutes ago, xen said:

Correct, full amount of tag is charged to the cap when applied by the team, not when player signs it.  Signing a long term contract would almost certainly lower the cap hit this year if they structured it that way.

That's what I thought.  In terms of long-term strategy... I listened to ESPN radio a couple days ago and they were talking about the rash of huge contracts Dallas was handing out comparing them to the Rams, who've completely hamstrung themselves with multiple, cap-crushing contracts, limiting their ability to build depth and field a competitive roster from end to end.  I worry about this for the Chiefs as well.  Should they give CJ a huge contract, in addition to Pat's impending league record contract, Frank Clark's existing huge contract, etc., etc., etc.  Basically, I'm on the fence as to whether a long term contract or trade is the best move.  I'm glad Veach is the one making this call.  Maybe find a way to allow him to play on the tag in 2020 then tag and trade next year?  This would still require cutting/restructuring existing player contracts.  We shall see which way this turns out.  I have faith that Veach and Reid will make the best decision for the Chiefs long-term success.  With Pat, this team can compete for championships for many years to come - as long as they protect him and field a middle of the road or better defense.

4 minutes ago, TomahawkChop said:

That's what I thought.  In terms of long-term strategy... I listened to ESPN radio a couple days ago and they were talking about the rash of huge contracts Dallas was handing out comparing them to the Rams, who've completely hamstrung themselves with multiple, cap-crushing contracts, limiting their ability to build depth and field a competitive roster from end to end.  I worry about this for the Chiefs as well.  Should they give CJ a huge contract, in addition to Pat's impending league record contract, Frank Clark's existing huge contract, etc., etc., etc.  Basically, I'm on the fence as to whether a long term contract or trade is the best move.  I'm glad Veach is the one making this call.  Maybe find a way to allow him to play on the tag in 2020 then tag and trade next year?  This would still require cutting/restructuring existing player contracts.  We shall see which way this turns out.  I have faith that Veach and Reid will make the best decision for the Chiefs long-term success.  With Pat, this team can compete for championships for many years to come - as long as they protect him and field a middle of the road or better defense.

I have far less concern about fitting CJ in now that the CBA passed.  I expect the salary cap to explode.

6 hours ago, TomahawkChop said:

That's a good point.  The Chiefs could kick the can down the road and back load Jones' contract for future.  That being the case, the future also means contracts in two years for Fisher, Schwartz, Kelce and others.  If the Chiefs go that route, they are betting on a much higher cap in a few years.  That's the same kind of financial planning that my ex-wife had.  I'm really in the trade Jones mode.  Not just for cap savings or because I don't value his play, but because the Chiefs could snag at least one, and maybe two, picks that could turn into potential starters in areas of need.  A late first and a fourth would allow the Chiefs to trade #32 and have eight picks in the first five rounds.  LB, CB, IOL, WR, RB.   Hit on three or four and the team is set with lower cost building blocks for the next four years. 

I had a weird offseason dream I rarely have...

In any event, Veach restructured and extended Watkins and then traded Jones to the Jets along with 1-32 and 3-96 for 1-11, 2-48, and 3-79. 

He used the freed up money to sign CB Daryl Worley (LV), DT Timmy Jernigan (PHI), TE Nick Vannett (PIT), and CB Javien Elliott (CAR).

In the draft, Veach then took 1-11 and 2-63 and traded it to Carolina for 1-7.

The Chiefs took

1-7 - LB Isaiah Simmons, Clemson

2-48 - ER Julian Okwara, Notre Dame

3-79 - OL Robert Hunt, LA-Lafayette

4-138 - CB Michael Ojemudjia, Iowa

5-177 - RB LaMical Perine, Florida

And that's a wrap...

No way it really happens, so back to la la land.  

6 hours ago, kccrow said:

I had a weird offseason dream I rarely have...

In any event, Veach restructured and extended Watkins and then traded Jones to the Jets along with 1-32 and 3-96 for 1-11, 2-48, and 3-79. 

He used the freed up money to sign CB Daryl Worley (LV), DT Timmy Jernigan (PHI), TE Nick Vannett (PIT), and CB Javien Elliott (CAR).

In the draft, Veach then took 1-11 and 2-63 and traded it to Carolina for 1-7.

The Chiefs took

1-7 - LB Isaiah Simmons, Clemson

2-48 - ER Julian Okwara, Notre Dame

3-79 - OL Robert Hunt, LA-Lafayette

4-138 - CB Michael Ojemudjia, Iowa

5-177 - RB LaMical Perine, Florida

And that's a wrap...

No way it really happens, so back to la la land.  

LOVE the off season trade type dreams!  Still think Jones is worth more......maybe get Bell too!

On 3/19/2020 at 8:58 AM, TomahawkChop said:

I am not sure. Seems like it wouldn’t be official until the signs the contract.

Franchise or Transition Tag – any player who receives the Franchise or Transition Tag (other than the Exclusive Franchise Tag) is still technically a Free Agent, but is restricted by the Tag.  A player under the Tag does count against the Salary Cap, at the amount of the Franchise or Transition Tag tender amount.

55 minutes ago, TomahawkChop said:

Only if the team rescinds the offer, which they can do any time as long as it hasn’t been signed. 

And if they do this he becomes and UFA and goes into the comp pool equation. Would be an end of 3rd round comp pick at best.

1 hour ago, kkuenn said:

And if they do this he becomes and UFA and goes into the comp pool equation. Would be an end of 3rd round comp pick at best.

Yep. They’re under the cap for the time being, so no need to make a move at this time. However, if the right offer comes I would expect Jones to wear a different jersey in ‘20. 

If we trade that far up then Jeffrey Okudah is who I would want.   I like Isaiah and believe he is gonna be good but not much for tweeners especially when we already have two very good safeties on our roster.   I think he's too light in the pants to play Will the way Spags likes his Will to play.    

24 minutes ago, Balto said:

Anyone got any crazy trade ideas that makes sense but have about a zero % chance of happening

Trade Jones to SEA for #27 and #138.  Trade #32 to CAR for #38 and #113.  Chiefs have moved up enough in the first to get Queen or Murray, pick a top six CB and IOL in the second, and go BPA with five other picks in the top five rounds to fill WR, RB, second CB, TE, DL for example.  Zero chance of happening.  😉