For what its worth

Patrick Mahomes' Agent Suggests He's Willing to Take Team-Friendly Contract Extension

By Braulio Perez | Feb 27 2020

Could Patrick Mahomes take a below-market deal to remain with the Kansas City Chiefs? Could Patrick Mahomes take a below-market deal to remain with the Kansas City Chiefs? | Kyle Rivas/Getty Images

Patrick Mahomes and the Kansas City Chiefs remain on top of the world right now. After winning the Super Bowl earlier this month, the party hasn't stopped in KC.

For Mahomes, things are only going to get better, as he's expected to receive a monster contract extension sooner than later. But, could he end up taking less than what he's surely worth on the open market for the good of his team?

Spoke with Patrick Mahomes’ agent, Leigh Steinberg, this morning.

I joked about extension being easiest of his career. Steinberg made point of getting Mahomes what he deserves while ensuring Chiefs can maintain a good roster.

“Quarterback greatness is judged by Super Bowls.”

This is certainly interesting from Mahomes' agent, Leigh Steinberg, who came out and said money isn't the No. 1 focus for his star quarterback. Sure, the superstar QB is going to get an extension worth well over, say, $100 million, but he wants to help Kansas City win more Super Bowls. If that means taking a bit less than what his achievement suggests he ought to, so be it.

This has got to be refreshing for Chiefs fans, who have seen the dance between Dak Prescott and the Dallas Cowboys go nowhere for months now. It doesn't look like the Chiefs will have that same kind of an issue with Mahomes.

Many local supporters didn't think they'd be able to love Mahomes more than they already did. After this latest update, that's surely no longer the case.

24 minutes ago, Balto said:

I don’t think the players union would let him take a huge discount.  All QBs contract will be based off his and if he takes a huge discount it will hurt other QBs contract values.

They may not like it but in the end I don’t think their is whole helluva lot they can do about it.  Steinberg is right, his legacy isn’t going to be about money it’s going to be about SBs and Pat knows the best way to have that happen is to think of the team around him as well.  

I still believe he is going to take around 36 37 million a year when he could easily take 40 plus.   

I think we are making too much of that statement.   His agent probably thinks he’s worth 50 a year which he just might be so a discount for him might be 40.

He needs to be rewarded because we want him here for his entire career.  I think somewhere in the low 30/ is fair for both.

6 minutes ago, Okiechief1 said:

They may not like it but in the end I don’t think their is whole helluva lot they can do about it.  Steinberg is right, his legacy isn’t going to be about money it’s going to be about SBs and Pat knows the best way to have that happen is to think of the team around him as well.  

I still believe he is going to take around 36 37 million a year when he could easily take 40 plus.   

Correctamundo..MVPat  could sue the union and win very  biggly

51 minutes ago, Okiechief1 said:

The more he wins, breaks records and more rings, the more he will make in endorsements plus it will continue when his career is done. The money will be there, especially if he continues to do what he has up to now.

1 minute ago, kkuenn said:

The more he wins, breaks records and more rings, the more he will make in endorsements plus it will continue when his career is done. The money will be there, especially if he continues to do what he has up to now.

like Michael Jordan didnt become a billionaire from his NBA salary. 

two entirely different sports though the NFL way harder to win a Superbowl if you're great in both 

I believe I started a thread about this. My opinion, on record, is that pat will in fact do a deal that doesn’t hurt the team. No one at the time agreed..  I still believe he will take a deal that doesn’t hamper the team. He’s a special kid in more ways than just on the field.

Maybe Pat is smart enough to realize that making $37 million or $43 million won't change his life in the long run.  Playing on a winning team and leading it to championships will bring more happiness than bragging rights on who has the biggest contract.  And as has been pointed out, endorsements will be rolling in, especially if he wins some more.  His persona is made for certain types of roles in commercials and his humility sells well just like Peyton Manning. 

I'd think he would be willing to take a discount IF he still becomes say the NFL's highest GUARANTEED contract.

Kirk Cousins has the highest % guaranteed but at 3 years $84M thats really not a MEGA contract.

It seems most QBs contracts ATM are coming out near 80-84% guarantee of base with the MOST being an AVG of about $27/$28 Million a year.

Why not really promote the trust in Mahomes and how we want to give him the best "guaranteed" contract in the NFL!

Give him 5 year $150M FULLY guaranteed!  This would be a new standard for the NFL and be $30M year AVG in cap hit.

20 hours ago, Balto said:

I don’t think the players union would let him take a huge discount.  All QBs contract will be based off his and if he takes a huge discount it will hurt other QBs contract values.

I'm guessing 52 out of 53 players from every team would be fine with the starting quarterback taking less of a percentage of the salary cap. 

3 hours ago, Balto said:

I'd think he would be willing to take a discount IF he still becomes say the NFL's highest GUARANTEED contract.

Kirk Cousins has the highest % guaranteed but at 3 years $84M thats really not a MEGA contract.

It seems most QBs contracts ATM are coming out near 80-84% guarantee of base with the MOST being an AVG of about $27/$28 Million a year.

Why not really promote the trust in Mahomes and how we want to give him the best "guaranteed" contract in the NFL!

Give him 5 year $150M FULLY guaranteed!  This would be a new standard for the NFL and be $30M year AVG in cap hit.

I would do that. 

39 minutes ago, DieHard said:

I would do that. 

In a NY minute but it'll be more than that.. I'd be flabbergasted if that'd get it done..maybe 5 for 175 mil for a start but I would not be surprised  to see a 200 mil number guaranteed for hopefully 6 yrs

33 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

In a NY minute but it'll be more than that.. I'd be flabbergasted if that'd get it done..maybe 5 for 175 mil for a start but I would not be surprised  to see a 200 mil number guaranteed for hopefully 6 yrs

200 for 6 would be just over 33 per.  Imminently doable but I wouldnt sign that long if I was Mahomes.  If the cap explodes he'll be regretting that number.

13 hours ago, xen said:

200 for 6 would be just over 33 per.  Imminently doable but I wouldnt sign that long if I was Mahomes.  If the cap explodes he'll be regretting that number.

I think it would be hard to regret anything if you are 30 years old and have made half a billion dollars in salary and endorsements.  But i get what you are saying. 

I just think mahomes is gonna look at the offer from the chiefs and then say. What are you going to do about my full back, RB TE and O line and WR. Then he will ask about the defense. Once he is comfortable that his team has play makers he will sign it. This kid we have is special and I don’t think he is worried about himself. He is more worried about having a team that can make a run year after year. He knows he will get his money. But he also knows he needs playmakers in all three phases to win. 
It is such a wicked feeling to have the best QB and a Super Bowl under our belts. 

I have no problem with Pat being the highest paid player in the league, if that is what he wants.  He is the best, after all.  But, I also think he wants to win and will make concessions to allow Veach to keep his playmakers around, and to add others.

He also knows, whether he admits it or not, that he is the face of the league now and can name his price in endorsements.  That’s where the real money is made.  Jordan didn’t become a billionaire because of the Bulls.  And Shaq is still all over the tv.

Let's not confuse "discount" with "rational".

What matters:

1. Patrick Mahomes is a gift from God to Chiefs Fans.  He is thoughtful, mature and he loves Kansas City.

2. Patrick Mahomes LOVES to WIN.

What the agent's comments means is that Patrick will "be smart"....the total amount of $$$ on the table is not his contract extension with KC.

What matters is winning and that leads to even bigger and better things for him and his family.

Frankly, coming from Leigh Steinberg..... this is great news.

w