Projected Cap space

19 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Turner would upgrade the line, but the Chiefs need to go the opposite direction when it comes to costs.

I agree but man some of the talent coming available is nice. Veach is a wizard and who knows who he cuts to get cap space. Plus some may come here to win after leaving teams that have always lost.

18 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Turner would upgrade the line, but the Chiefs need to go the opposite direction when it comes to costs.

I dont necessarily agree. I think interior offensive line is the one position I'd be ok with them spending a little bit on an outside free agent. I'm tired of hearing people talk about how good offensive linemen can be found later in the draft. That thought process is why our interior line sucks as bad as it does. 

I guess the real question is how good could Mahomes be if he could sit back there instead of taking an 11 step drop to get jet chip wasp off?   Our offense this year was limited by injuries, self inflicted wounds (drops/penalties/refs swallowing the whistle and fumbles but the other issue that might trump them all is our Oline doesn't give Mahomes enough time consistently to allow these deeper routes to develop.   We saw as good as the 49ers were that if Mahomes has time he can absolutely light up any team.    I would argue that Tuner would help this offense more than Watkins would.  Sign me up for a stud guard to beef up our IOL.   I think we can find some wr's in this draft and some ring chasers to fill in for Sammy.  And if its true that Sammy shows up in the playoffs and this offense can be tricky to learn then we have all regular season for a guy to learn and step up in his place.  

54 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I dont necessarily agree. I think interior offensive line is the one position I'd be ok with them spending a little bit on an outside free agent. I'm tired of hearing people talk about how good offensive linemen can be found later in the draft. That thought process is why our interior line sucks as bad as it does. 

Turner was drafted in the 3rd round.

1 hour ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

How do you define "later in the draft"?  Morse, Hudson, Allen, etc. were all second day picks.  Maybe you burn a top pick on a can't miss OT, but IOL can be found in the third round.  I'm not saying the line isn't important,, only that starters can be found on day two. 

7 hours ago, jetlord said:

How do you define "later in the draft"?  Morse, Hudson, Allen, etc. were all second day picks.  Maybe you burn a top pick on a can't miss OT, but IOL can be found in the third round.  I'm not saying the line isn't important,, only that starters can be found on day two. 

2 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I assume you had intended for there to be a point to this. Whatever it was went over my head.

Should be eye level now.

1 hour ago, SEMO said:

Should be eye level now.

I see...I would say day 3 and UDFAs. Day 2 investments would be a nice change of pace. Idk that I'd want to give up the pick and the cap space both for Turner, but you are getting a proven commodity. With a 2nd or 3rd rounder you are getting a player on a rookie deal, but no guarantees.

Having said that I dont think it's real likely that they cut LDT, eat 4 million in dead money then add a significant cap number at that same position. 

But I wouldnt be mad either. The dude is dominant and in his prime. 

I was really excited about Ben Grubbs back in the day and only gave up a 5th for him but it didn't work out. Turner is a better player IMO and still very young so trading for him would be a good risk to take IMO. Protecting Mahomes is the best offensive investment at this point and surely will upgrade our running game. Not sure about how much he would want in the new deal though, there's no way we trade for him with a 2-year deal at such a high amount. 

38 minutes ago, sith13 said:

I was really excited about Ben Grubbs back in the day and only gave up a 5th for him but it didn't work out. Turner is a better player IMO and still very young so trading for him would be a good risk to take IMO. Protecting Mahomes is the best offensive investment at this point and surely will upgrade our running game. Not sure about how much he would want in the new deal though, there's no way we trade for him with a 2-year deal at such a high amount. 

No i bet if they did trade for him he would do a new contract as part of the trade. Space out the money at less hit per year but more of it guaranteed type deal.

Also curious to see Scherff on the open market too. No need for a trade here for him. What he may want to get and to do so for a good team like us to win vet type deal.

1 minute ago, kkuenn said:

No i bet id they did trade for him he would do a new contract as part of the trade. Space out the money at less hit per year but more of it guaranteed type deal.

Also curious to see Scherff on the open market too. No need for a trade here for him. What he may want to get and to do so for a good team like us to win vet type deal.

I think we are in a position to get FAs by paying them less overall and could work with a few guys that don't really get what they want in the open market. Being in the spotlight earns a lot of paychecks for any offensive player. 

7 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

No i bet id they did trade for him he would do a new contract as part of the trade. Space out the money at less hit per year but more of it guaranteed type deal.

I like Graham Glasgow from Detroit too. Hes in the tier below these guys, but still a damn good RG in his prime that's an UFA.

The Chiefs need three linemen.  They need a swing tackle to replace Erving and that will probably be a vet.  They won't trust the draft to protect Mahomes if either Fisher or Schwartz go down.  They need a center to upgrade over Reiter.  That can be a day two or early day three pick in the draft and the ideal would be a C/OG.  Then they need an OT/OG to replace LDT either this year or next.  One of the interviews at the combine was Robert Hunt and he could fill that role.  He's all over the various draft boards so who knows what it would take to get him.  There are a few others  in the same category.  I expect the Chiefs to trade for more picks and use two of them on IOL.  JMHO

5 hours ago, sith13 said:

I think we are capable of finding quality interior linemen in the draft. We just need to commit to doing it on at least day two this year. I'm starting to really favor the idea of trying to stockpile comp picks in 2021 while focusing more of our free agent efforts on the 1 year prove it type deals. It will be interesting to see Veach's approach this offseason though. Obviously trading Jones changes the dynamics dramatically. 

2 hours ago, Balto said:

I still think we can get a 1st for Fisher this year as his value will never be higher.

Could trade him, replace him with a 1st or 2nd rounder and give that extra cash to go out and sign a elite guard like Scherff.  

There is no reality in the multiverse where Fisher is still worth a 1st.  

6 minutes ago, Balto said:

Then it should make us feel even worse that he is taking up almost $15M in cap!

Cash outlay for fisher is right in line with production.  He's around 11th.  Average $ for this contract is 12m per, which is fine.  We're just in the back end now which is why the bigger cap hits this year and next.  That says to me he's due for a restructure.

37 minutes ago, xen said:

Cash outlay for fisher is right in line with production.  He's around 11th.  Average $ for this contract is 12m per, which is fine.  We're just in the back end now which is why the bigger cap hits this year and next.  That says to me he's due for a restructure.

Let me ask if you don't think he would be worth a 1st in a trade why would you want to restructure him and tie ourselves to him even longer as he ages/declines?

Your exactly right on how his contract and most contract are setup with the back end hurting the most...Example Watson as well.

The trading team would only be on the hook for about $9M plus have him under contract for two more seasons.  This and our Super Bowl win and being 29 is why his value will never be higher for a trade partner.

We spend more than any team in the NFL at tackle and around 20th for interior OL.  I believe Pats skill set says it should be the other way around!  I think Pat will make a rookie LT look much better than he is!  Just like he does Fisher

22 minutes ago, Balto said:

Let me ask if you don't think he would be worth a 1st in a trade why would you want to restructure him and tie ourselves to him even longer as he ages/declines?

Your exactly right on how his contract and most contract are setup with the back end hurting the most...Example Watson as well.

The trading team would only be on the hook for about $9M plus have him under contract for two more seasons.  This and our Super Bowl win and being 29 is why his value will never be higher for a trade partner.

We spend more than any team in the NFL at tackle and around 20th for interior OL.  I believe Pats skill set says it should be the other way around!  I think Pat will make a rookie LT look much better than he is!  Just like he does Fisher

The main reason is because next year his contract pretty much makes it decision time. We can cut him at a 14 million dollar cap number and 3 million dollar dead cap number, or restructure and try and make that number more manageable. 

He is a solid tackle and deserves to have good guard next to him for once in his career. But it's also not everyday you get an opportunity to free up 11 mill with one move involving a player who is moving out of his prime years.

If they draft a guard early who projects well at tackle long term, I think we will have our answer.