Projected Cap space

On 3/6/2020 at 5:23 PM, kccrow said:

ScratchyGloomyHammerheadbird-size_restri

As for the debate on Fisher. Let me ask you a pointed question: Who are you drafting at #32 that can replace Eric Fisher, even in 2021?

As deep as an offensive line class may be, there are never more than a handful that can cut it as a LT in the NFL and that statement would be pushing it rather far.

You can tell me if you agree or disagree with this list, but here's my picks for guys I think have the athletic ability in this draft class (doesn't mean they'll pan out).

We aren't touching unless we get a top-15 pick and 3 of these 4 probably go top-10:

Andrew Thomas, Georgia

Jedrick Wills, Alabama

Tristan Wirfs, Iowa

Mekhi Becton, Louisville

That leaves:

5. Austin Jackson, USC (strength issues, pass technique issues)

6. Joshua Jones, Houston (serious pass technique and set speed flaws)

7. Ezra Cleveland, Boise State (major strength issues) 

8. Matt Peart, UConn (major strength, hand placement issues)

9. Prince Tego Wanogho, Auburn (serious technique flaws)

In all likelihood, you're probably going to only see one from those 5 who actually cut the mustard at LT. I'd put my money on Cleveland. He has the athleticism and good technique but needs to gain better lower-body and core strength. I don't see Cleveland as a guy that falls to 63. I'd say top half of the 2nd round, so now you're reaching in 1 or you're getting him in a trade of some form.

I think Josh Jones ends up a RT or guard in the NFL because he'll never be able to keep up with speed rushers, but he'll get over-drafted.

Peart and Wanagho look like swing tackle backups and nothing more.

I'm on the fence with Jackson but I think he ends up a solid RT or swing tackle in time but he'll go higher than he probably should. I'd guess, similar to Cleveland, will go early 2nd.

The rest of this class features some nice RT prospects and alot of guards. That's my take. 

I guess to answer this is that it depends on what we get back from a Fisher trade and if we trade Jones.  Could trading both away allow us to get a guy like Wirfs(my favorite tackle in the draft) with what ever pick we get from Jones...Sure!  Then use our #32 or what ever we get from Fisher trade to replace Jones....

But say we keep Jones:

I really like Cleveland as our #32 pick to replace Fisher.  I think he screams the athletic type Reid likes and I'm honestly not worried about his strength as we have seen many many players come into the NFL and put strength on.  His frame shows he can add both weight and muscle.  Fisher came into the NFL looking like a tall TE and his lean frame was always a worry...Cleveland seems to have some meat on him.

But man I really like Wirfs!

Also....These days in the NFL the LT and RT have become sooo much alike with Defenses stunting both sides and even having the best guy stay on the right, IE the reason we brought Schwartz into KC because he does the best in the NFL vs Miller.  I also think if Fisher was traded KC could at least entertain moving Schwartz over to LT if who ever we draft does better on the right side.  Schwartz played LT in college and has shown he has talent /shrug

On 2/29/2020 at 8:22 PM, Balto said:

Does the new CBA not act like the current one were teams must spend like 90% cap space or something ?

If rosters don’t expand that extra cap money means all players will just be getting raises.....not the ability to sign more elite players

Don't think much will change besides ALL players getting raises /shrug

yep, this year regardless, minimum spending is 90%, but the injection of gambling revenue etc, into the AR pool, should have some huge consequences, as well, as naming rights to the stadiums being included in AR......... If the new deal goes through, the AR pool from which that 40 some percent comes from will be much bigger than before. 

42 minutes ago, xen said:

Yeah and don't get me started on the voice either.

Ok it's official.  Best value 7th round pick + a practice squad punter.

He has somewhat of a decent arm, I still think we can get a 4th or at least a 5th but obviously there's the homer factor in my estimation. 

We need to renovate the stadium and do a Broncos type cap space deal. Defer payments to Jones and Mahomes and let their cap hits be so small for us. This will allow us to get the renovations done. Hell it could only cost us 2 mil and a 3rd round pick at the most!

5 hours ago, xen said:

If the new owners move the royals downtown that would make this dream project officially dead.  That said I think KC voters already missed the boat on this one.  

NOW would be a great time to put out another Vote...Bond rates are actually probably lower now

With new CBA agreed and the cap space now at 198.2 million, we have 18.4 million in cap space.  We can keep Jones on a tag price without having to cut anyone else right now. 

If we want to keep players we can restructure the likes of Watkins if he wants to do so or do cuts and get even more cap space for other FAs and then draft accordingly. Not a bad place at all to be in.

Veach had set us up nicely and can really do even more now going forward with his cap space management.

32 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

With new CBA agreed and the cap space now at 198.2 million, we have 18.4 million in cap space.  We can keep Jones on a tag price without having to cut anyone else right now. 

If we want to keep players we can restructure the likes of Watkins if he wants to do so or do cuts and get even more cap space for other FAs and then draft accordingly. Not a bad place at all to be in.

Veach had set us up nicely and can really do even more now going forward with his cap space management.

Do we have any rollovers from last year?