Chiefs are doing due diligence on receivers

KC Warpaint

Indianapolis

The tape started rolling a day after the parade marched through downtown Kansas City, with Chiefs front office personnel turning their full attention toward 2020 and, more specifically, its NFL Draft class.

As the group moved to examination of available wide receivers, watching film of one player after another, general manager Brett Veach turned to the rest of the room.

“When are we going to see a guy we don’t like?” Veach asked, recalling the story this week at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis.

TOP ARTICLES

IAhead of an draft that sparks annual debate, arguments and counterarguments, there’s a general consensus about two things regarding the 2020 iteration.

The pool of prospects converging in Indianapolis for the combine this week is deeper than most.

And nowhere is that more obvious than in this class of wide receivers.

“Here’s what I’ll tell you — the average over the last five years for wide receivers going in the first three rounds is between 12 and 13 a year. You can easily make an argument, from a grade perspective, that there are 20-25 of those guys out there this year,” Raiders general manager Mike Mayock said.

“Do I think it’s a special receiver draft? Yeah, I think there’s a lot of depth at the wide receiver position,” Colts general manager and former Chiefs executive Chris Ballard added.

At the very least, the Chiefs are doing their due diligence with college prospects at the position.

Incumbent Demarcus Robinson, who started 10 games in 2019, is a free agent. The Chiefs will ask Sammy Watkins to restructure a deal in line to pay him $21 million in 2020, with that dialogue expected to begin this week.

That leaves questions at the position. Watkins and Robinson could still offer the answers. But so could the draft.

The Chiefs have spoken to several receivers throughout the week, The Star has learned, some in formal meetings and others in informal settings. Per league rules, each team is allowed to conduct 45 formal interviews that span exactly 18 minutes each. An informal meeting could be as brief as a conversation in the hallway of the convention center.

A handful of the top receivers are near-locks to be off the board by the time the Chiefs draft at No. 32 in late April, barring a trade — among them, Oklahoma’s CeeDee Lamb and Alabama’s Jerry Jeudy and Henry Ruggs. Others could be gone, too, though that’s less certain.

The situations with Robinson and Watkins should become clearer before the draft hits in April. But if those outcomes prompt the Chiefs to spend an early-round pick on a wide receiver, here are some players they could target in the first two rounds — and some they’ve already spoken to here at the scouting combine.

Jalen Reagor, TCU (5-11, 206)

Reagor, not lacking confidence, likened himself to Deebo Samuel, Stefon Diggs and “probably” Tyreek Hill. TCU used him primarily at wide receiver but also featured him occasionally at running back and on jet sweeps to get his speed into open space. He said he expects to top all wide receivers in the 40-yard dash later this week but should receive stellar competition there from Ruggs.

Reagor said he watches Hill every day.

As it pertains to KC: The Chiefs used one of their 45 allotted formal interviews with Reagor, he said.

Quotable: “Me being a smaller receiver, I can still be a deep threat because I can jump out of the gym.”

Justin Jefferson, LSU (6-1, 202)

Jefferson led the nation with 111 catches in 2019, when he moved from an outside receiver to the slot. Scouts love his ability to make contested catches in traffic but see room for improvement against press coverage, which he will face more often in the NFL.

As it pertains to KC: Jefferson said he talked to the Chiefs early in the week.

Quotable: On what he hopes to highlight in Indianapolis, Jefferson said, “I’m very versatile. I can do slot and outside. Just being able to play different positions on the field.”

Tee Higgins, Clemson (6-4, 216)

Walter Football’s latest mock draft projects Higgins to Kansas City in the first round. The initial impression of Higgins is his size (6-4), and true to form, he is an adept jump-ball receiver. That could offer coach Andy Reid an intriguing weapon in the red zone. Higgins acknowledged seeing very little press coverage during his time at Clemson, which would require an adjustment at the next level, wherever he winds up.

As it pertains to KC: Higgins met with the Chiefs at the combine in an informal interview.

Quotable: “I feel like I’m the No. 1 guy,” he said of this year’s deep wide receiver class. “I feel like I can go to a team and immediately impact that team and help that team get to the Super Bowl.”

Brandon Aiyuk, Arizona State (6-0, 205)

Aiyuk totaled 710 yards after the catch last season, fifth most in the nation, per Pro Football Focus. He is rapidly moving up draft boards, a late arriver on the scene after spending two years at Sierra College. Aiyuk also returned kicks at Arizona State.

As it pertains to KC: Asked if he has talked with the Chiefs, Aiyuk said, “I’m not disclosing that right now,” but said he had 20 scheduled formal meetings in the first two days.

Quotable: “With my running back background, I feel like after I catch the football, I transition back into that running back I used to be.”

Laviska Shenault, Colorado (6-1, 227)

He moved all around the offense, playing all three wide receiver spots and also running the football out of the backfield. He caught 10 touchdowns over the past two seasons but also ran for seven more.

As it pertains to KC: As of Tuesday, he had not met with the Chiefs. But we include him here anyway because that’s historically not a disqualifier from selection in April.

Quotable: “I think my versatility is a good thing. I don’t want to be in one spot. Then I wouldn’t get that many balls or attempts. I want to be able to move everywhere. I want to be able to create mismatches everywhere on the field.”

A few more ...

In addition to Lamb, Jeudy and Ruggs, the five men listed above will likely be off the board by the close of the second round.

Here are some projected middle- or late-round wide receivers who told The Star they have spoken to the Chiefs:

• Donovan Peoples-Jones, Michigan
  • Aaron Fuller, Washington
  • Juwan Johnson, Orego

Aiyuk is the one guy that could be there at 32 that would give me serious pause and consider him over a defensive player. That of course, depending on what happens with FA and the Watkins situation. 

With all their other needs, can the Chiefs afford to spend their first round pick on a WR after paying Hill and moving up to get Hardman last year?  They may need to replace Watkins, but the new guy will still be a #3 and the Chiefs need CB, LB, and IOL no matter how free agency goes. 

I have serious reservations about Hardman as the #2. Obviously the speed factor comes into play with Hill and Hardman on the field, but you have zero size. Two 5'10" guys. I think there could be some issues, especially with teams that are good at jamming at the line.  I think a #2 like Aiyuk with Hardman in the slot would be a significantly more advantageous situation. That said, I'd find it hard to ignore CB or LB in round 1 unless at least one gets addressed significantly in free agency. 

10 hours ago, jetlord said:

With all their other needs, can the Chiefs afford to spend their first round pick on a WR after paying Hill and moving up to get Hardman last year?  They may need to replace Watkins, but the new guy will still be a #3 and the Chiefs need CB, LB, and IOL no matter how free agency goes. 

There's always the option of proven vets in search of a ring. We simply need a possession guy which is rarely worth a high pick. I think TE is the only receiver worth serious investment in the draft at this point. 

1 hour ago, sith13 said:

There's always the option of proven vets in search of a ring. We simply need a possession guy which is rarely worth a high pick. I think TE is the only receiver worth serious investment in the draft at this point. 

How much discount do you think the Chiefs will get from a vet hoping for a ring?  It's probably not much.  Money talks and the agents don't value a ring.

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

How much discount do you think the Chiefs will get from a vet hoping for a ring?  It's probably not much.  Money talks and the agents don't value a ring.

It's true that agents will look for the money but a Boldin type of WRs are always useful and rarely cost much when looking for a ring. The key is actually guys that won't get paid the big bucks in the market but feel like they are worth it. Playing for Mahomes for a year is basically a huge investment for them that could get them the huge contract after a year which should be our target group IMO.

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 5:43 AM, kccrow said:

I have serious reservations about Hardman as the #2. Obviously the speed factor comes into play with Hill and Hardman on the field, but you have zero size. Two 5'10" guys. I think there could be some issues, especially with teams that are good at jamming at the line.  I think a #2 like Aiyuk with Hardman in the slot would be a significantly more advantageous situation. That said, I'd find it hard to ignore CB or LB in round 1 unless at least one gets addressed significantly in free agency. 

Those are the kind of guys you can't really jam at the line.  They are too fast.  Those are the kind of guys you play off the line and hope they don't run past you.  It's a lot easier to jam a big guy like Dwayne Bowe and then run with him.  Still it's nice to have a big possession guy on the roster, but in our offense that big possession guy is usually a tight end split out wide. 

On 3/3/2020 at 4:43 AM, kccrow said:

Hardman may play in the slot until he proves he can beat the jam, but if the Chiefs want a big receiver, they don't have to use their first round pick.  

13 hours ago, reesebobby said:

Those are the kind of guys you can't really jam at the line.  They are too fast.  Those are the kind of guys you play off the line and hope they don't run past you.  It's a lot easier to jam a big guy like Dwayne Bowe and then run with him.  Still it's nice to have a big possession guy on the roster, but in our offense that big possession guy is usually a tight end split out wide. 

No. A good press corner will fuck a small guy's world up no matter how fast he is. It's a big reason Phillip Dorsett has never put up numbers in this league any higher than what Hardman put up this year. He just struggles to get free at the LOS. That's coming from a guy who banged the drum hard for Dorsett to be our first-round pick when he came out. 

10 hours ago, jetlord said:

Hardman may play in the slot until he proves he can beat the jam, but if the Chiefs want a big receiver, they don't have to use their first round pick.  

Agree, but I see a lot of similarities between Aiyuk and Watkins except he hasn't been the injury nightmare Watkins tends to be. Aiyuk is special with the ball in his hands. Probably my favorite receiver in this draft. That said, I wouldn't take him unless CB and LB can or could be adequately addressed otherwise (for example the Chiefs trade Jones for a 1st and 3rd and have the extra 1st to play with). 

10 hours ago, kccrow said:

No. A good press corner will fuck a small guy's world up no matter how fast he is. It's a big reason Phillip Dorsett has never put up numbers in this league any higher than what Hardman put up this year. He just struggles to get free at the LOS. That's coming from a guy who banged the drum hard for Dorsett to be our first-round pick when he came out. 

Do you see good press corners also fucking up Tyreek Hill's world?  He's smaller than Hardman.  You'd have to have a two foot dick and a bucket of balls to get in his Tyreek's face and challenge him and Mahomes to beat the press.  I'm not saying all you need is speed--there's a lot to consider.  Dorsett is playing with a quarterback that can't challenge downfield anymore.  Mahomes will absolutely extend plays and take shots.  Brady's not gonna do that anymore.  And Andy's offense has a lot of pre-snap motion and jet sweep action with those guys that makes pressing more difficult. 

And maybe Dorsett just isn't that good.  That doesn't mean Hardman won't be.   There's a lot to be encouraged by from his rookie season. There's been a lot of receivers both big and small that just didn't have it. Jon Baldwin was 6-4 230 and he sucked.  Tyler Lockett is smaller than Tyreek and crazy good.  Edelman has been wide open for 7 years.  I'm not gonna sweat his size as long as he produces.  And we will know in a year or two if he's for real or not.

57 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

Do you see good press corners also fucking up Tyreek Hill's world?  He's smaller than Hardman.  You'd have to have a two foot dick and a bucket of balls to get in his Tyreek's face and challenge him and Mahomes to beat the press.  I'm not saying all you need is speed--there's a lot to consider.  Dorsett is playing with a quarterback that can't challenge downfield anymore.  Mahomes will absolutely extend plays and take shots.  Brady's not gonna do that anymore.  And Andy's offense has a lot of pre-snap motion and jet sweep action with those guys that makes pressing more difficult. 

And maybe Dorsett just isn't that good.  That doesn't mean Hardman won't be.   There's a lot to be encouraged by from his rookie season. There's been a lot of receivers both big and small that just didn't have it. Jon Baldwin was 6-4 230 and he sucked.  Tyler Lockett is smaller than Tyreek and crazy good.  Edelman has been wide open for 7 years.  I'm not gonna sweat his size as long as he produces.  And we will know in a year or two if he's for real or not.

You basically made the statement for yourself here. Some small guys can beat press and some can't. We don't really know if Hardman can consistently beat press yet and that's something to be mindful of. Operating from the slot with more space to gain an edge on the release is different than playing on the outside up on the LOS. Tyreek has had his moments against physical corners, but he's kind of up and down. Edelman is one of the best ever at creating separation from press as a small receiver. Dorsett just can't beat it very well, and frankly neither can any of NEs other receivers not named Edelman. Him being out last year really hurt their passing game because guys couldn't get off the line. 

I like Hardman, but I don't know if I'd trust all my eggs in that basket just yet. I hope he does well. 

2 minutes ago, kccrow said:

You basically made the statement for yourself here. Some small guys can beat press and some can't. We don't really know if Hardman can consistently beat press yet and that's something to be mindful of. Operating from the slot with more space to gain an edge on the release is different than playing on the outside up on the LOS. Tyreek has had his moments against physical corners, but he's kind of up and down. Edelman is one of the best ever at creating separation from press as a small receiver. Dorsett just can't beat it very well, and frankly neither can any of NEs other receivers not named Edelman. Him being out last year really hurt their passing game because guys couldn't get off the line. 

I like Hardman, but I don't know if I'd trust all my eggs in that basket just yet. I hope he does well. 

I didn't say some small guys can beat the press and some can't.  I said some small receivers are good and some aren't.  Same as some big receivers are good and some aren't.  And quarterback play is a factor. Overall I think it's far easier to jam a big slow guy than it is to jam a fast guy.  And far less risky.  You just absolutely can't run with Tyreek and that makes pressing him too dangerous.  That's why you don't see teams play us like that.  We have too many weapons and too much speed.  If Tyreek was our only guy, then yes maybe you can get some safety help over the top and get in his face.  But we have all these other guys that can hurt you and you just can't leave a guy on an island with that speed and Mahomes ability to get the ball downfield. And his ability to extend plays with his legs negates any half second extra getting off the line.