Maybe I just have a softer spot for him that the rest of you.  I watched KC draft him in the hospital a couple of days after my daughter was born.  My son has an EB jersey.  I know the last couple of years were a disaster.  Maybe our familiarity should weigh in as far as his abilities and his medical, that's fine.  But considering the $8M as a factor is really monumentally stupid because we're paying that no matter what.  If we get someone else for the vet minimum you might as well think of them as making the vet minimum + $8M.

The only question should be if, medical and all other issues considered, whatever contract we would give him represents a better value than our other alternatives to add depth to our secondary.  It's about opportunity cost.  For the vet minimum, I don't see any opportunity cost.  The $8M is lost and irrelevant.  For more than the minimum, which it's possible he gets but I'm skeptical, then no thanks.

Also I don't think he would hurt the team chemistry if he's willing to come back.  I'm pretty sure HB is tough enough to have another vet around, that's honestly kind of insulting to him.

44 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

Maybe I just have a softer spot for him that the rest of you.  I watched KC draft him in the hospital a couple of days after my daughter was born.  My son has an EB jersey.  I know the last couple of years were a disaster.  Maybe our familiarity should weigh in as far as his abilities and his medical, that's fine.  But considering the $8M as a factor is really monumentally stupid because we're paying that no matter what.  If we get someone else for the vet minimum you might as well think of them as making the vet minimum + $8M.

The only question should be if, medical and all other issues considered, whatever contract we would give him represents a better value than our other alternatives to add depth to our secondary.  It's about opportunity cost.  For the vet minimum, I don't see any opportunity cost.  The $8M is lost and irrelevant.  For more than the minimum, which it's possible he gets but I'm skeptical, then no thanks.

Also I don't think he would hurt the team chemistry if he's willing to come back.  I'm pretty sure HB is tough enough to have another vet around, that's honestly kind of insulting to him.

Oh noes.  Guess he'll have to console himself on a huge pile of KC Cash.  

Stop thinking with your emotions.  EB is done.

8 minutes ago, xen said:

Oh noes.  Guess he'll have to console himself on a huge pile of KC Cash.  

Stop thinking with your emotions.  EB is done.

I actually meant insulting to HB, thinking he would be looking over his shoulder if EB was here.

Funny how some of you think he's absolutely washed and others think he'll make an above average salary.  Seems like my take of "vet minimum as a flyer, nothing more" is a pretty reasonable compromise between those views.

2 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

I actually meant insulting to HB, thinking he would be looking over his shoulder if EB was here.

Funny how some of you think he's absolutely washed and others thing he'll make an above average salary.  Seems like my take of "vet minimum as a flyer, nothing more" is a pretty reasonable compromise between those views.

Ok I get what you're saying.  I just think we shouldn't go back down that road.

5 minutes ago, xen said:

Ok I get what you're saying.  I just think we shouldn't go back down that road.

That's a reasonable position to have, I just don't think we should rule anything out based on having our feelies hurt from how it ended and how much money he made.  Veach has been pretty good at finding other low-cost vets to play significant roles, if there are better options that certainly wouldn't surprise me.

18 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

That's a reasonable position to have, I just don't think we should rule anything out based on having our feelies hurt from how it ended and how much money he made.  Veach has been pretty good at finding other low-cost vets to play significant roles, if there are better options that certainly wouldn't surprise me.

I don't not want him back because my feelings are hurt.  First of all, I don't have feelings.

2 hours ago, Adamixoye said:

It’s not Berry’s fault he got a bad contract. But I get the point that throwing good money after bad at a position we have no real need doesn’t make sense. Especially with tight CAP situation we are in, in part because of that contract. 
 What really bothers me about him is that from a very reliable source I was told he was cleared to play in late October and just chose not too. It was brutal having to carry a roster spot for a guy that coaches had no idea if and when he’d play. Not sure what changes here. Even if he had some procedure we moved on and upgraded. Best safety group we’ve had here in a long time already. He’d have almost no chance to start. Just not a good fit. 

7 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

But I get the point that throwing good money after bad at a position we have no real need doesn’t make sense.

It's not good money after bad if we're talking about a vet minimum.  The $8M is lost no matter who we sign.  If we don't retain Fuller we're going to need at least a little safety depth, no?  EB might not be the right choice, but signing a safety wouldn't be insane.

1 hour ago, Mloe68 said:

It’s not Berry’s fault he got a bad contract. But I get the point that throwing good money after bad at a position we have no real need doesn’t make sense. Especially with tight CAP situation we are in, in part because of that contract. 
 What really bothers me about him is that from a very reliable source I was told he was cleared to play in late October and just chose not too. It was brutal having to carry a roster spot for a guy that coaches had no idea if and when he’d play. Not sure what changes here. Even if he had some procedure we moved on and upgraded. Best safety group we’ve had here in a long time already. He’d have almost no chance to start. Just not a good fit. 

This is kinda where I’m at. 

I remember at the time that Andy said it was EBs decision and it was a pain tolerance thing.  He kinda seemed annoyed that Berry wouldn’t suit up as time went on.    KC docs wanted him to get the surgery to repair it but got a second opinion n they told him he didn’t need to that it could be dealt with without it.   I haven’t seen anything that says he has had the surgery so who knows how the heel would hold up.  Even at vet minimum just would prefer  to not go back to hearing day to day.  

just don’t see a guy who will be 31 and played 3 games in 3 years being of any value.  

33 minutes ago, Okiechief1 said:

I remember at the time that Andy said it was EBs decision and it was a pain tolerance thing.  He kinda seemed annoyed that Berry wouldn’t suit up as time went on.    KC docs wanted him to get the surgery to repair it but got a second opinion n they told him he didn’t need to that it could be dealt with without it.   I haven’t seen anything that says he has had the surgery so who knows how the heel would hold up.  Even at vet minimum just would prefer  to not go back to hearing day to day.  

just don’t see a guy who will be 31 and played 3 games in 3 years being of any value.  

I know the coaches were not happy. It’s just rare a player is cleared and won’t play. And his contract is still killing us which tells me that the doctors had no confidence they could heal this enough he would consistently play so we swallowed so we just ripped the band aid off. It would be very odd to bring him back and now after coming to these conclusions even if we did need a safety, which I don’t think we do. 

1 hour ago, Adamixoye said:

It's not good money after bad if we're talking about a vet minimum.  The $8M is lost no matter who we sign.  If we don't retain Fuller we're going to need at least a little safety depth, no?  EB might not be the right choice, but signing a safety wouldn't be insane.

I can’t see him signing for that but I do understand your point. For us it really boils down to Thornhill. If he’s back our top four safeties are all under contract and at most we would be looking for a 5th safety/special teams player.  That’s certainly not Berry. 
If there is concern about Thornhill it certainly helps Fullers case for getting extended here. And yes it’s possible if we didn’t retain him we’d look for a stop gap. But again we swallowed massive cap space because we didn’t think we could ever count on him again. It would seem odd to change that tune now.  

Thornhill is the key. If he's not going to be healthy by TC I wouldn't mind bringing Berry back for the vet minimum. At this point we shouldn't have him count against the cap for anything. If he's coming back it shouldn't be for money but rather to win a ring. If he wants money and is fully healthy I'm pretty sure he can find it elsewhere. 

10 hours ago, Okiechief1 said:

I just don’t see a guy who will be 31 and played 3 games in 3 years being of any value.  

^^^^^^ & OBTW  those were 3 loses

Looks like the Colts are in the mix

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001104152/article/hopeful-of-return-eric-berry-draws-colts-interest

Indy would now have EB and Houston, is that GM over there living in the past?  Seems like he's trying to build a roster with Chiefs defense has beens that came from a SHITTY DEFENSE!  Good "Luck"!  Oh wait, he's gone,  sorry.  My feelings on EB are the same as Hunt,  BYE!

1 hour ago, Spfdchiefsfan said:

Indy would now have EB and Houston, is that GM over there living in the past?  Seems like he's trying to build a roster with Chiefs defense has beens that came from a SHITTY DEFENSE!  Good "Luck"!  Oh wait, he's gone,  sorry.  My feelings on EB are the same as Hunt,  BYE!

To be fair they were part of some good defenses too early on.