Cam Erving bye bye/ no surprise

Kansas City Chiefs

Report: Chiefs opting out of OL Erving's deal

5be41ec0-ff0b-11e8-adef-442891c98066
ReutersMarch 1, 2020

The Kansas City Chiefs will opt out of the final year of offensive lineman Cameron Erving's deal, according to Terez Paylor of Yahoo Sports.

Erving, a first-round pick of the Cleveland Browns in 2015, was traded to the Chiefs in 2017 and signed a two-year extension worth $8.3 million in 2018.

The reigning Super Bowl champion Chiefs will save a little over $3 million by opting out of the deal, though they still will take a $1.4 million dead-money cap hit.

The 27-year-old has played in 69 games (42 starts) through five NFL seasons, seeing time at all five positions up front. He saw action in 13 games (eight starts) at tackle for the Chiefs last season.

2 hours ago, azchief21 said:

He was one helluva cheerleader in the playoffs and SB. He was in every celebration photo.

I noticed that as well. If I was nothing but a backup, I would have purposefully stayed in the background.  Maybe he did it to show people he actually did play for the Chiefs.  If so, he didn't need to. All he had to do is show highlights of the sacks Mahomes took and he would have quickly found his image!

Since we're discussing O-line, here's a question for the experts  Is ti practical to draft a second day OT and use him at OG while he develops and gets stronger to NFL tackle standards?  Just playing with some mocks and thinking how much easier it would be if the Chiefs could grab a future OT, even a backup, and use the same person to fill a guard position in the near term.

2 hours ago, jetlord said:

Since we're discussing O-line, here's a question for the experts  Is ti practical to draft a second day OT and use him at OG while he develops and gets stronger to NFL tackle standards?  Just playing with some mocks and thinking how much easier it would be if the Chiefs could grab a future OT, even a backup, and use the same person to fill a guard position in the near term.

I am no expert but I think it’s a great idea. Morse finish his career as a LT and can here as a C. Jeff Allen was a college T. 

1 hour ago, xen said:

Lots of college tackles move inside in the pros.  Most don't make it back outside.   I guess if you find a guy talented enough, but you're wasting a year of development.

True, but any OT the Chiefs get now isn't going to play outside this season barring injury and even then, Rankin would probably become the swing tackle.  Should the team just wait until Fisher or Schwartz are about gone to draft the next one?  Can't a tackle be groomed for the future while getting stronger and playing guard?

10 hours ago, jetlord said:

True, but any OT the Chiefs get now isn't going to play outside this season barring injury and even then, Rankin would probably become the swing tackle.  Should the team just wait until Fisher or Schwartz are about gone to draft the next one?  Can't a tackle be groomed for the future while getting stronger and playing guard?

does sound logical but then I guess the practice reps on technique and  the strengthening process may differ and therefore be detrimental 

8 hours ago, xen said:

Lots of college tackles move inside in the pros.  Most don't make it back outside.   I guess if you find a guy talented enough, but you're wasting a year of development.

Very good point. There is the odd duck like Brandin Albert who was a college G that became a LT. Good tackles are pretty hard to find.

I am all for drafting a T to play G. 

Playing OG would mean facing stronger DTs as opposed to faster DEs at OT. I think the focus would be very different to actually be a starting OG while prepping for an OT role in the future. If you ask me our future OT should simply be our swing tackle and whomever is playing at interior OL should focus on just getting better there. 

15 hours ago, jetlord said:

Yeah sure if you're a few years away from moving them but the techniques are different, and in this discussion at least, we're talking about cutting Fisher next year.  So now they've spent their first year not working at tackle.  Add to that you still don't know how they'd look on the outside when you get to the next offseason, so do you need to draft another tackle the next year or not?  You may have no idea because they don't even have practice reps to review.

Not that it can't be done.  Anything is an upgrade over our last swing tackle.

6 hours ago, xen said:

Yeah sure if you're a few years away from moving them but the techniques are different, and in this discussion at least, we're talking about cutting Fisher next year.  So now they've spent their first year not working at tackle.  Add to that you still don't know how they'd look on the outside when you get to the next offseason, so do you need to draft another tackle the next year or not?  You may have no idea because they don't even have practice reps to review.

Don't disagree, but do you mean the Chiefs should not draft a future OT until he has a playing role?  Except for a few first rounders, most take a year or two to mature and get stronger as well as learn technique.  With Fisher and Schwartz here for two more years, the new guy isn't going to play unless there's an injury.  So when do the Chiefs draft their OTOTF?

7 hours ago, xen said:

That's a good counterpoint to the argument that drafting a guard early who projects well at tackle long term, may be the writing on the wall for Fisher.

Personally I think Fisher is a solid player. I just think the way his contract is structured leaves the Chiefs in an actionable position.  Then again, we are set to be in better shape under the cap in 2021 than we are in 2020 and the cap has potential to explode, so maybe they will just let him play out his contract.

Thought this was interesting

First round we have one of 2 players in top 21 picks, Long retired and Eifert has yet to sign. 

Trufant still with Atlanta but Eifert may not be with Cincy. Out all picks 6 are currently left with the team that drafted them. Fisher, Johnson, Rhodes, Hopkins, Trufant and Frederick. Maybe 7 if Eifert stays put.

What a shitty draft to have the 1st overall pick but at least he is not a bust ala Joeckel