Salary Implications - Sammy Watkins

So Sammy has a contract of 21 million this year. 7 million of that came in a signing bonus. I understand if we release him we eat that money but if we trade him does anything change?

For those that will chime in on the trade ability of Watkins, this isn’t really about that for me. It’s just about understanding the salary cap better so please don’t turn this into a quote we couldn’t trade Sammy anyway” conversation

2 minutes ago, WichitaZRide said:

So Sammy has a contract of 21 million this year. 7 million of that came in a signing bonus. I understand if we release him we eat that money but if we trade him does anything change?

For those that will chime in on the trade ability of Watkins, this isn’t really about that for me. It’s just about understanding the salary cap better so please don’t turn this into a quote we couldn’t trade Sammy anyway” conversation

I believe the 7 million is our cap to eat whether he is cut or traded.  The trade partner would be on the hook for the 14 million in salary.

17 minutes ago, azchief21 said:

Sammy is gone. Check his twitter feed

Hopkins already talking about getting him to Houston. He will be cut, no one will trade for him unless they want to be sure to get him and no one will even do that. Talks have not gone well with him and a new contract erc with the Chiefs 

https://texanswire.usatoday.com/2020/03/03/texans-deandre-hopkins-calling-reunion-sammy-watkins/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=NFLdraftmaverickMike

Fresh off of a Super Bowl victory with the Kansas City Chiefs, wide receiver Sammy Watkins is seemingly on the lookout for his next destination. The former Buffalo Bill tweeted “Where is my next adventure gonna be at..!” hinting that his recent contract negotiations with the Chiefs aren’t going according to plan. Cue DeAndre Hopkins to intervene.

Sammy very well may not be a Chief next year but he wont be making his 14 mil  with the Texans with Hopkins and Fuller's contracts. Also  very easily could be a ploy to get the Chiefs to up their offer... too many unknowns ..I'l take await n see position

6 hours ago, WichitaZRide said:

so if look below you can see the breakdown.  It shows that KC gave him $21M in a signing bonus.  KC had the ability to spread that bonus over the contract vs taking the cap hit year 1.  The down side to this is that no matter if KC cuts or trades Sammy they still have to recognize the remaining bonus that they paid him upon signing.  This is why you see his base next year of $13.75M+$7M bonus+4250k work out=$21M.  Any team that would trade for Sammy is only the hook for the base($13.75M)+workout bonus($250K)=$14M while KC still eats that remaining $7M of the signing bonus they spread out over the contract BUT of course save a total of $14M towards the cap this year.  That’s why I always like the idea of trading for established players because we don’t have to pay the remaining signing bonus.

Current Contract

Sammy Watkins signed a 3 year, $48,000,000 contract with the Kansas City Chiefs, including a $21,000,000 signing bonus, $30,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $16,000,000. In 2020, Watkins will earn a base salary of $13,750,000 and a workout bonus of $250,000, while carrying a cap hit of $21,000,000 and a dead cap value of $7,000,000.

CONTRACT TERMS:3 yr(s) / $48,000,000 SIGNING BONUS$21,000,000 AVERAGE SALARY$16,000,000 GTD AT SIGN:$30,000,000 TOTAL GTD:$30,000,000 FREE AGENT:2021 / UFA

BONUS BREAKDOWN CAP DETAILS CASH DETAILS  
YEAR   AGE BASE SALARY SIGNING WORKOUT CAP HIT DEAD CAP YEARLY CASH  
2018 Contract details by year 25 $790,000 $7,000,000 $10,000 $7,800,000 $30,010,000 $21,800,000($21,800,000)  
2019 Contract details by year 26 $11,950,000 $7,000,000 $250,000 $19,200,000 $22,460,000 $12,200,000($34,000,000)  

POTENTIAL OUT: 2020, 2 YR, $34,000,000; $7,000,000 DEAD CAP

2020 Contract details by year 27 $13,750,000 $7,000,000 $250,000 $21,000,000 $7,000,000 $14,000,000($48,000,000)  
2021 Free Agent Year 28 UFA  
Contract Notes:

6 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Sammy very well may not be a Chief next year but he wont be making his 14 mil  with the Texans with Hopkins and Fuller's contracts. Also  very easily could be a ploy to get the Chiefs to up their offer... too many unknowns ..I'l take await n see position

Fuller is a FA i think.

Been thinking great destinations in a trade would be to Green Bay for CB Josh Jackson or to Miami for CB Cordrea Tankersley and a mid-round pick. Green Bay would need to re-work his deal ahead of time though. Try and get player+ value similar to the situation with Alex Smith. He "should" have trade value, but teams will obviously be resilient to give up much in a stacked WR draft and knowing he could be cut. 

2 hours ago, Palangi said:

Sammy play in there playoffs and the super bowl helped us to build his trade value. And here is only 26 still.  I think we can get a 3rd for him.  

Trading Watkins for a position of need makes a lot of sense. I would consider OL or DB as the obvious candidates but not sure if any team is high enough on Watkins to give him a new big deal. 

I would love to keep Watkins but just don't see a way he stays on. Chiefs need to cut his salary by a large margin. I'm okay with moving on from him. Deep receiver class in the draft. Chiefs can find his replacement on a rookie deal.

I hate to see Watkins go also. He didn't have a great regular season stat-wise, but he sure comes up super big in the playoffs. If the Chiefs let him go, I just hope they find someone to replace his production, especially in the playoffs.