I haven't seen a thread on this, but...

The NBA has been ordering teams in some places to play their games in empty arenas due to threat of coronavirus.  All large venues, including sports, concerts and expositions, and even Vatican Easter services are either cancelled or will be only live-streamed. What will happen to the NFL this coming year.? Remember all these players travel all over the country crammed in jet planes.  Is it possible that the season could be jeopardized?  Would you go to a game right now?  How far can we project this thing?  Is it possible that the Chiefs will be the last team to win a Super Bowl? If the crowds are not there, the money dries up. Just wondering.

I would go to a game without even thinking about it.  We went to a spring training baseball game yesterday.  The NFL cares more about TV revenues than stadium attendance.  Unless this gets much worse and much more dangerous, I can't imagine games being cancelled.  

Le Bron James played in an empty arena today and said he wasn't go to play like that again. He said he is just going to stop playing.  Just saying. If players stop playing, there won't be any TV revenues either, right?  I think its overblown, but panic is panic.

1 hour ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Le Bron James played in an empty arena today and said he wasn't go to play like that again. He said he is just going to stop playing.  Just saying. If players stop playing, there won't be any TV revenues either, right?  I think its overblown, but panic is panic.

Don't disagree, but without dramatic new developments, the panic will be over before this falls NFL season.  Baseball starts in three weeks and I've not heard about canceling those games but we don't follow the news out here that closely. 

5 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

The NBA has been ordering teams in some places to play their games in empty arenas due to threat of coronavirus.  All large venues, including sports, concerts and expositions, and even Vatican Easter services are either cancelled or will be only live-streamed. What will happen to the NFL this coming year.? Remember all these players travel all over the country crammed in jet planes.  Is it possible that the season could be jeopardized?  Would you go to a game right now?  How far can we project this thing?  Is it possible that the Chiefs will be the last team to win a Super Bowl? If the crowds are not there, the money dries up. Just wondering.

I went to the Super Bowl and about a week after I got back I was sicker than I’ve been in decades. I was sure I had it but when I went to the doctor he just laughed and said you don’t with no test. I’m still not convinced.  But I am healthy now and the threat of the virus won’t remotely keep me from doing anything. Sporting KC game tonight in front of standing room only crowd tells me most people aren’t worried around KC anyway. I expect similar at the Big 12 tourney. 
All that said today the first confirmed case in the county I live. 

13 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

I went to the Super Bowl and about a week after I got back I was sicker than I’ve been in decades. I was sure I had it but when I went to the doctor he just laughed and said you don’t with no test. I’m still not convinced.  But I am healthy now and the threat of the virus won’t remotely keep me from doing anything. Sporting KC game tonight in front of standing room only crowd tells me most people aren’t worried around KC anyway. I expect similar at the Big 12 tourney. 
All that said today the first confirmed case in the county I live. 

You probably had that bad H1-N1 influenza that killed many people this year.  Now imagine that virus, which has an incubation period of a few days to a week, becomes infective to others a couple of days before you get sick, then stops being infective around when you are getting well, and then change the equation.  Coronavirus has an incubation period of about 14 days before you get sick.  You can infect others during most or all of the incubation period, and the infection basically involves your lungs, not your upper respiratory tract, and causes a viral pneumonia.  Now imagine going to a stadium with 70,000 people, and maybe 20 are incubating the virus and can give it to people nearby if they sneeze or cough or shake hands with you, or if you touch the seat where they put their hands when you are trying to walk back down the row from going to the bathroom or eat popcorn with your fingers. Then the game is over, 150 people are incubating the virus and head to work the next morning.

Just sayin'

You probably had that bad H1-N1 influenza that killed many people this year.  Now imagine that virus, which has an incubation period of a few days to a week, becomes infective to others a couple of days before you get sick, then stops being infective around when you are getting well, and then change the equation.  Coronavirus has an incubation period of about 14 days before you get sick.  You can infect others during most or all of the incubation period, and the infection basically involves your lungs, not your upper respiratory tract, and causes a viral pneumonia.  Now imagine going to a stadium with 70,000 people, and maybe 20 are incubating the virus and can give it to people nearby if they sneeze or cough or shake hands with you, or if you touch the seat where they put their hands when you are trying to walk back down the row from going to the bathroom or eat popcorn with your fingers. Then the game is over, 150 people are incubating the virus and head to work the next morning.

Just sayin'

Sounds like tickets will be available if everyone panics like they are saying in the media. I will go to games if people are selling tickets at a good price. The Army sent me to worse places and shot me full of shit far worse.

49 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Sounds like tickets will be available if everyone panics like they are saying in the media. I will go to games if people are selling tickets at a good price. The Army sent me to worse places and shot me full of shit far worse.

I think it's mostly fear, and I sure hope it doesn't last more than a few months.  But this is the kind of thing that will become endemic rather than epidemic.  There will always be people getting it.  It's mainly  a real worry for people taking steroids, people with autoimmune diseases like rheumatoid arthritis, people who have been getting chemotherapy, heavy smokers, people with other colds or infections at the time, and of course, people over 65.  I'm not sure that older people will ever feel comfortable going to big crowded events.  Who knows?

Miami is a bad city for health. Every time my dad went there for work (several weeks of the year) he came back with some kind of flu or upper respiratory bug. And he traveled most of the state and it was always Miami where he’d get sick.

Too early to tell about NFL impacts. Most likely this disease peaks in the next two or three months and goes away by mid summer is my guess.

1 hour ago, Thegoatee said:

Miami is a bad city for health. Every time my dad went there for work (several weeks of the year) he came back with some kind of flu or upper respiratory bug. And he traveled most of the state and it was always Miami where he’d get sick.

Too early to tell about NFL impacts. Most likely this disease peaks in the next two or three months and goes away by mid summer is my guess.

It will become less epidemic and more endemic in the warm months, simply because people will not be cramped inside together quite so much.  But I doubt by much.  This virus spreading plenty in warm countries. I don't think it will slow down until a significant percent of Americans have had it and developed antibodies as a result.  A vaccine is a year or two away. The anti-vaxxer folks might want to re-consider, at least the older ones or ones with other diseases like diabetes, emphysema, tobacco smokers, cancer, or blood vessel diseases.  Those people would do well to avoid crowded places as much as possible. At least babies and older kids don't seem to get sick from it much.

5 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Just sayin'

They didn’t test me for Corona but they did test for the flu which I know because a $296 bill just came. Lol.  By default he said i had a bacterial infection. 
Reality is most everyone has had some strain in the Corona viruses at one time or another and most of us are still here. This strain doesn’t appear to be any more life threatening than any of the others, it’s just new.

Meanwhile the pro soccer league in Italy (which is akin to the NFL here) is canceling games. The Cannes Film Festival looks like it will be cancelled and we are starting to see similar here including some suggestions they play March Madness in front of empty arenas. 

At the same time I’ve read many different types of doctors say this isn’t necessary and what people really need to do is just practice common preventive practices. I’m choosing this approach and not changing any plans. I can’t imagine a scenario right now where Arrowhead isn’t packed to the rafters for the ring ceremony in September   Are you seeing this playing out differently?

2 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

They didn’t test me for Corona but they did test for the flu which I know because a $296 bill just came. Lol.  By default he said i had a bacterial infection. 
Reality is most everyone has had some strain in the Corona viruses at one time or another and most of us are still here. This strain doesn’t appear to be any more life threatening than any of the others, it’s just new.

Meanwhile the pro soccer league in Italy (which is akin to the NFL here) is canceling games. The Cannes Film Festival looks like it will be cancelled and we are starting to see similar here including some suggestions they play March Madness in front of empty arenas. 

At the same time I’ve read many different types of doctors say this isn’t necessary and what people really need to do is just practice common preventive practices. I’m choosing this approach and not changing any plans. I can’t imagine a scenario right now where Arrowhead isn’t packed to the rafters for the ring ceremony in September   Are you seeing this playing out differently?

I have no Idea really. I'm still thinking it is overblown. But epidemiologists and others much smarter than I am are worried. It's my belief that the 3.5 percent death rate is only because most cases are mild, untested, and therefore unrecognized. I think eventually it will prove to be less than one percent lethal, about the same as a bad influenza strain. The scary part is the interstitial pneumonia it causes in adults.

We had a possible case here the other day.  A woman came into the ER with flu like symptoms, but didn't test positive for flu.  They quarantined her and everyone who treated her for 48 hours until the test results came back from the CDC.  She had a cold.

This has been blown way out of proportion.

2 hours ago, SEMO said:

We had a possible case here the other day.  A woman came into the ER with flu like symptoms, but didn't test positive for flu.  They quarantined her and everyone who treated her for 48 hours until the test results came back from the CDC.  She had a cold.

It is mostly overblown.  Now, if that woman had come in and had some actual shortness of breath and a low grade fever, she would be a concern, so they would be right to test for coronavirus.  Anyone who feels bad enough to come in in to an ER with respiratory tract symptoms, though, MUST be tested with a quick swab for influenza virus. Influenza swabs are mandated, actually.  It is the panic in the lay population that is the problem.  This woman came in because of fear from watching the news, probably not from any severity of her symptoms. With a negative influenza swab, though, it is probably crucial for a short quarantine pending her coronavirus test result.  It seems reasonable.

22 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

It is mostly overblown.  Now, if that woman had come in and had some actual shortness of breath and a low grade fever, she would be a concern, so they would be right to test for coronavirus.  Anyone who feels bad enough to come in in to an ER with respiratory tract symptoms, though, MUST be tested with a quick swab for influenza virus. Influenza swabs are mandated, actually.  It is the panic in the lay population that is the problem.  This woman came in because of fear from watching the news, probably not from any severity of her symptoms. With a negative influenza swab, though, it is probably crucial for a short quarantine pending her coronavirus test result.  It seems reasonable.

but then you have the girl in Stl County that just came back from Italy.. she came up positive & her family were all put in "voluntary" quarantine .. I guess they were too good for that and went to some school function anyway.. whole school has been canceled  as I understand it

2 hours ago, SEMO said:

This is what confuses me and why the CDC looks like they did a terrible job with this from the beginning. I clearly had far worse symptoms that this lady and I was traveling around a bunch of people from all over the world. And yet they didn't even think to quarantine or even test me. I think they fell behind on this thing and now are trying to overstate the problem in order to appear like they are on top of it. Meanwhile UMKCs last basketball game at Seattle was cancelled as was the gigantic music festical South by Southwest in Austin. Meanwhile people will be here from all over the midwest/southwest for the Big 12 tournament this weekend and I don' t know anyone worried about it. Very odd deal.

2 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

but then you have the girl in Stl County that just came back from Italy.. she came up positive & her family were all put in "voluntary" quarantine .. I guess they were too good for that and went to some school function anyway.. whole school has been canceled  as I understand it

Yeah.  I read it about that this morning.  I think voluntary quarantining will never work, but I guess if it decreases exposures and works a little bit, it might help. Epidemiology is really a numbers game.

Just now, Fmbl2187 said:

Yeah.  I read it about that this morning.  I think voluntary quarantining will never work, but I guess if it decreases exposures and works a little bit, it might help. Epidemiology is really a numbers game.

it'd probably work but then you have people like that with no real consequences ..maybe a shock color would work lol

1 minute ago, Mloe68 said:

This is what confuses me and why the CDC looks like they did a terrible job with this from the beginning. I clearly had far worse symptoms that this lady and I was traveling around a bunch of people from all over the world. And yet they didn't even think to quarantine or even test me. I think they fell behind on this thing and now are trying to overstate the problem in order to appear like they are on top of it. Meanwhile UMKCs last basketball game at Seattle was cancelled as was the gigantic music festical South by Southwest in Austin. Meanwhile people will be here from all over the midwest/southwest for the Big 12 tournament this weekend and I don' t know anyone worried about it. Very odd deal.

There is really no coherent or cohesive strategy, no real knowledge of how many people might get it or have gotten it, because there aren't enough test kits or public money to do public health testing without charging patients.  Without that, we will really not ever get a handle on how prevalent it is.  Without that denominator, there will be a great overestimate of the death rate and more public panic and merely guesses at how to best handle it.

Maybe people will now see that not all public services, public money, and actual appointed experts are a waste of money.

15 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

We were talking about this at work yesterday.  Had a pt that had already been in close to a week. Pulmonologist couple days started to suspect corona on that person.  Test would have had to have been sent off but we started wondering what would they do if they really thought this person had it.  Would they quarantine the staff of anybody that came in contact with them?  Over the course of that persons stay they have had probably 15 to 20 different health care workers between doctors nurses therapists and aides.  

19 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

There is really no coherent or cohesive strategy, no real knowledge of how many people might get it or have gotten it, because there aren't enough test kits or public money to do public health testing without charging patients.  Without that, we will really not ever get a handle on how prevalent it is.  Without that denominator, there will be a great overestimate of the death rate and more public panic and merely guesses at how to best handle it.

Maybe people will now see that not all public services, public money, and actual appointed experts are a waste of money.

Agree. And no question the death rate is almost certainly exaggerated because most people won’t ever get tested to have accurate numbers.  People who do show up are often the most sick. Meanwhile I’m reading China is beating the virus basically by shutting down its economy and putting 500 million people on lockdown.  That’s nuts! 

All I know is that my Dad was scheduled for open heart surgery that morning and everything had to be put on hold, for this person ‘with a cold.’  They evacuated the entire CICU, moved all of those patients to another ICU, so they could devote that entire unit as a quarantine area for this patient.

It’s ridiculous.  The Flu is much more dangerous and you don’t see them quarantining those people.  

Manufactured hysteria.

Go Chiefs.