2020 NFL Free Agency Thread

22 minutes ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

That would have been nice to pulloff, even if we only had him for a year. Could have at least netted a comp pick back to make it a wash

Or paid him next offseason when the cap explodes, because we have no money invested at the position.

2 hours ago, oldtimer said:

just a reach here but maybe the logic is that since the Reverend Herm Edwards is their coach and not a bad evaluater of DB  talent maybe he aint so bad

I’m guessing it’s cause AZchief21 lives in the Phoenix area, where ASU is located.

19 hours ago, oldtimer said:

just a reach here but maybe the logic is that since the Reverend Herm Edwards is their coach and not a bad evaluater of DB  talent maybe he aint so bad

He left before Herm but saw him play and was very good.....in college. Haven't really followed his path in the NFL

I like both signings.   Especially Pennel.   Gives us flexibility in dealing with Jones a little.   Having Nnadi, Saunders, and Pennel along with possibly Speaks means we at least have some numbers to throw at the interior DL.   

I look for Lovett to take over that #3 TE spot this offseason but be more of our HB and learn from Sherman for a season before finally taking over for him.

Like xen said he's worth it for more than just his FB role.

I'm sure most are aware but we just won the SB all while facing some major opposition and turmoil and the comraderie built during such trials is pretty powerful.   Its more than numbers and a contract.   Sometimes you pay someone for what they mean on the football field as well as off the football field.   I think Sherman falls in that category and I also think Jones does as well.   

57 minutes ago, xen said:

Disagree.  Sherman is a locker room and special teams leader, great blocker, and has skills.  And it's worth the price of admission just for the training camp outfits 

Got to admit the training camp outfits are worth it.  

But we don't use him as a blocker very often. And Lovett is a loner more athletic dude for special teams 

Some players provide an invaluable leadership and the added cost is easily justified in those situations. The cap difference for Sherman is probably very minimal as only top 51 will matter in the end but getting people fired up is a big asset.

I love Pennel signing, looks like he didn't find what he wanted in FA and wants a full season here before pushing for a big payday. I'm fine with that as the youngsters at DT should only progress over the next year. 

Regarding Ta'amu he's likely a 3rd QB or a PS candidate but definitely an exciting guy to have around as Reid loves adding QBs.