2020 NFL Free Agency Thread

I don't know if linebacker is as much an issue as some think.  Both Hitchens and Wilson logged the most minutes and are back. They seem to like Neimann.  And DOD looked pretty good as he got more reps at the end of the year.  And could be the coverage linebacker we all want.  

We are in Sub packages the majority of the time.  Only playing 2 linebackers.  And dirty Dan even replaces Hitchens sometimes in Dime packages. 

Im not a Hitchens fan.  But he isn't going anywhere with his salary cap hit.  

And Darius Harris is a guy to keep am eye on.  The organization is high on him.  Watch this video that talks about him. 

14 minutes ago, Palangi said:

I don't know if linebacker is as much an issue as some think.  Both Hitchens and Wilson logged the most minutes and are back. They seem to like Neimann.  And DOD looked pretty good as he got more reps at the end of the year.  And could be the coverage linebacker we all want.  

We are in Sub packages the majority of the time.  Only playing 2 linebackers.  And dirty Dan even replaces Hitchens sometimes in Dime packages. 

Im not a Hitchens fan.  But he isn't going anywhere with his salary cap hit.  

And Darius Harris is a guy to keep am eye on.  The organization is high on him.  Watch this video that talks about him. 

Not to argue just throwing this out there. Hitchens, according to the online contracts, has dead cap hits of 12.6 mil this year, dead cap of 8.5 mil in 2021, and dead cap 4.2 mil in 2022.

given he has dead cap totaling 21 million the next two years, do you cut him now as june 1 designation and pay 6 mil in dead cap the next two seasons. Personally I would and think its a no brainer, just insane to pay top 5 inside linebacker money to a jag.

there is every possibility the online contracts are wrong and I interpret the June designation incorrectly however.

9 minutes ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

Not to argue just throwing this out there. Hitchens, according to the online contracts, has dead cap hits of 12.6 mil this year, dead cap of 8.5 mil in 2021, and dead cap 4.2 mil in 2022.

given he has dead cap totaling 21 million the next two years, do you cut him now as june 1 designation and pay 6 mil in dead cap the next two seasons. Personally I would and think its a no brainer, just insane to pay top 5 inside linebacker money to a jag.

there is every possibility the online contracts are wrong and I interpret the June designation incorrectly however.

If that is the case then it should definitely be looked at. Hitchens does not fit his contract.  

5 minutes ago, Palangi said:

If that is the case then it should definitely be looked at. Hitchens does not fit his contract.  

Alternatively it looks like hitchens has 24 million due to him the next 3 years, but none of it is guaranteed. I would say his market value is something like 3 mil a year. If veach went to him and said lets tear up this contract and do a 3 year 15 mil total restructure. This would in theory get rid of the massive cap hits and give him more than market value, although at a pay cut on paper.

4 hours ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

Alternatively it looks like hitchens has 24 million due to him the next 3 years, but none of it is guaranteed. I would say his market value is something like 3 mil a year. If veach went to him and said lets tear up this contract and do a 3 year 15 mil total restructure. This would in theory get rid of the massive cap hits and give him more than market value, although at a pay cut on paper.

Why would he give up $9M?

With the reality of no offseason program and possibly more, it sure seems like continuity on a roster and familiarity with a system will be huge this year.  It’s going to be especially hard for new players to learn Andy’s offense. Perfect time observers in the early part of free agency. 

6 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

With the reality of no offseason program and possibly more, it sure seems like continuity on a roster and familiarity with a system will be huge this year.  It’s going to be especially hard for new players to learn Andy’s offense. Perfect time observers in the early part of free agency. 

Early part of free agency has passed. Midway part is in the homestretch. I dont disagree with what you are saying, but I went through position by position and we are getting close to the scrap heap part of free agency.

You know I love Veach, but I still maintain the position that he has let the contract situations with Jones and Watkins hamstring us capwise to the point where we've missed out on the bulk of free agency. And when I say that I am referencing even the quality 1 year depth pieces we could be adding.

3 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Early part of free agency has passed. Midway part is in the homestretch. I dont disagree with what you are saying, but I went through position by position and we are getting close to the scrap heap part of free agency.

You know I love Veach, but I still maintain the position that he has let the contract situations with Jones and Watkins hamstring us capwise to the point where we've missed out on the bulk of free agency. And when I say that I am referencing even the quality 1 year depth pieces we could be adding.

Naa, he is good at finding the guys that fit off others practice squad, cuts and even UDFA. We have the same team pretty much coming back, healthy too, and still have the draft also. 

5 minutes ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

D rob kinda sucks but bringing him back on a 1 year deal is acceptable this year considering there may be no offseason to work in new players. Im hoping this is a max 2 million dollar deal.

just thrilled we have a front office that doesn’t break the bank to retain replaceable players anymore. 

Toooooo many drops. KEY drops in that Houston game helped it get out of control.

This is a good signing. No drafted or FA would be able to hit the field running with this offseason. Veach has to move quickly with our own FA because teams are plucking them away. 

I am now more concerned about our defense. It took a while for the D to gel under Spags last year. 

5 minutes ago, Holmes4six! said:

This is a good signing. No drafted or FA would be able to hit the field running with this offseason. Veach has to move quickly with our own FA because teams are plucking them away. 

I am now more concerned about our defense. It took a while for the D to gel under Spags last year. 

The whole D is back so far other than Ragland and Fuller. Breeland is the only other one not signed yet as a starter from last year.

41 minutes ago, sith13 said:

Robinson staying basically means Watkins leaving and a rookie WR coming into the mix via draft to be ready for 2021. Keep most of the pieces together so we can focus on defense and OL in the draft. 

I don’t think you can draw any conclusions about watkins based on the chiefs signing a guy for a minimum contract, other than its basically a no risk situation.

7 minutes ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

I don’t think you can draw any conclusions about watkins based on the chiefs signing a guy for a minimum contract, other than its basically a no risk situation.

Obviously it's not set in stone but seems more and more likely every day. Need to make a lot of moves and no cap space to do it. Adding another WR to the top 51 makes Watkins a more reasonable cap move than letting Jones leave.