2020 NFL Free Agency Thread

7 minutes ago, sith13 said:

Obviously it's not set in stone but seems more and more likely every day. Need to make a lot of moves and no cap space to do it. Adding another WR to the top 51 makes Watkins a more reasonable cap move than letting Jones leave. 

jumping to conclusions with no evidence to support. I see it more likely that something is in the works or he'd been cut already

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

jumping to conclusions with no evidence to support. I see it more likely that something is in the works or he'd been cut already

Exactly. If Veach wasn't working on a trade or extension he wouldn't be letting Watkins eat up valuable cap space like this. He would have been released and the Chiefs would have been in the CB or LB market.

13 hours ago, oldtimer said:

It's probably a matter of needing that cap space immediately. I don't expect Veach to pull the trigger unless he has some other deals in place that requires the money saved from Watkins' release. I believe the same is true for Colquitt as well, I doubt the plan is to keep him for 2020 but there's no urgency to pull the trigger yet. As things currently stand even if they want to let Watkins go waiting on a trade partner makes more sense.

In the end I think the plan is letting Watkins go to clear up some space instead of a bunch of other guys that has less impact. 

18 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Exactly. If Veach wasn't working on a trade or extension he wouldn't be letting Watkins eat up valuable cap space like this. He would have been released and the Chiefs would have been in the CB or LB market.

Not buying it. It wouldn’t have been difficult at all to create CAP room if he valued a player over a comp pick. 

1 minute ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

What does Watkins have to do with a comp pick?

I think he's saying that if there was someone we really wanted to sign, cancelling some of our FA losses in next year's comp pick calculation, and we would have needed that cap space then we would have figured out how to do it.

1 hour ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

What does Watkins have to do with a comp pick?

Adding a player in free agency to any real contract costs you in the comp pick formula. And the 1 year cheap contracts are easily navigable within the salary cap. Again if Veach wanted any free agent he could have easily moved money around and done it.  Kelce s contract in particular is primed for extension   

54 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Adding a player in free agency to any real contract costs you in the comp pick formula. And the 1 year cheap contracts are easily navigable within the salary cap. Again if Veach wanted any free agent he could have easily moved money around and done it.  Kelce s contract in particular is primed for extension   

Gotcha. I agree. That's why I keep saying theres solid 1 year depth types we are missing out on as well. Those that wouldnt negate the comp pick we should get for Fuller. You cant possibly think that Veach is happy with our depth at corner and LB. 

Continuity on the offensive line? Yeah I can agree with you on that. But right now our 3rd and 4th CBs are Alex Brown and Antonio Brown. Can you really see us going into the draft with that depth chart?

21 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Gotcha. I agree. That's why I keep saying theres solid 1 year depth types we are missing out on as well. Those that wouldnt negate the comp pick we should get for Fuller. You cant possibly think that Veach is happy with our depth at corner and LB. 

Continuity on the offensive line? Yeah I can agree with you on that. But right now our 3rd and 4th CBs are Alex Brown and Antonio Brown. Can you really see us going into the draft with that depth chart?

Again if Veach wanted to sign a corner then he would have. I worried non stop about our corner situation last offseason and Veach knocked it out of the park with the cheapest corner group in football. There is absolutely nothing keeping Veach from signing a guy to a prove it type deal. I’d bet there are two corners out there somewhere that end up on our roster at some point. 

58 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Again if Veach wanted to sign a corner then he would have. I worried non stop about our corner situation last offseason and Veach knocked it out of the park with the cheapest corner group in football. There is absolutely nothing keeping Veach from signing a guy to a prove it type deal. I’d bet there are two corners out there somewhere that end up on our roster at some point. 

Amukamara, logan ryan, darryl worley, trumaine johnson...still a few guys out there that will likely sign on a 1 yr.

9 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Amukamara, logan ryan, darryl worley, trumaine johnson...still a few guys out there that will likely sign on a 1 yr.

Yep.  Denard, tramon Williams, Mackenzie alexander... hell Breeland and Claiborne are still out there.

5 minutes ago, xen said:

Yep.  Denard, tramon Williams, Mackenzie alexander... hell Breeland and Claiborne are still out there.

Surprised that Breeland didn't get an offer yet.  Maybe he's waiting for the Chiefs to come up with an equal and he wants to stay here when the cap space is opened up. 

I gotta admit I'm baffled by this. We cant even sign our draft class as is. Veach is moving at a snail's pace and I think there should be a bit more urgency. Especially at CB.

Signing Jones or reworking Watkins will free up plenty of space.  We're undoubtedly working on both of those fronts.  If we can't get something figured out with either one of those then I supposed more drastic measures will be necessary, I but I don't have a problem with slow-playing it for now.

I don't have the same urgency on CB.  Remember when we all freaked out about it last year, then it turned into something of a strength?  I have a gut feeling that we'll get Breeland back.  Maybe this Hamilton kid will be at least a rotation player.  With more snaps maybe Fenton will be decent in the rotation.  If none of these happen, then maybe we'll find the 2020 version of 2019 Breeland.  And then there's the draft.

I gotta admit I'm baffled by this. We cant even sign our draft class as is. Veach is moving at a snail's pace and I think there should be a bit more urgency. Especially at CB.

We're actually probably a couple mil over, per the new breakdown at arrowhead pride.  If they are correct, we have until friday to get back under so I would expect some moves this week.

1 hour ago, Adamixoye said:

Singing Jones  will free up plenty of space.  We're undoubtedly working on both of those fronts.  If we can't get something figured out with either one of those then I supposed more drastic measures will be necessary, I but I don't have a problem with slow-playing it for now.

I don't have the same urgency on CB.  Remember when we all freaked out about it last year, then it turned into something of a strength?  I have a gut feeling that we'll get Breeland back.  Maybe this Hamilton kid will be at least a rotation player.  With more snaps maybe Fenton will be decent in the rotation.  If none of these happen, then maybe we'll find the 2020 version of 2019 Breeland.  And then there's the draft.

I'd rather sign Jones  but if you insist 

sorry couldn't help myself

We are fine.   Veach has solidified numerous areas already with little to no cap.  Obviously we have holes at CB and a need at WLB but we can address one or the other or both as soon as he decides how to move forward with LDT, Watkins and Jones.   No need to rush those decisions until you exhaust every effort to trade or extend or sign them.   We solidified the DL with Pennell, we've upgraded ST,  we've soldified the wr group with resigning DRob.   We need an IOL upgrade at one position at least, one starting caliber WLB, and 1 2 starting caliber DB's.   That is very doable in the draft, udfa and some one year prove it deals/other team cuts.    We are already better if we do nothing other than draft well.