2020 NFL Free Agency Thread

2 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

We are fine.   Veach has solidified numerous areas already with little to no cap.  Obviously we have holes at CB and a need at WLB but we can address one or the other or both as soon as he decides how to move forward with LDT, Watkins and Jones.   No need to rush those decisions until you exhaust every effort to trade or extend or sign them.   We solidified the DL with Pennell, we've upgraded ST,  we've soldified the wr group with resigning DRob.   We need an IOL upgrade at one position at least, one starting caliber WLB, and 1 2 starting caliber DB's.   That is very doable in the draft, udfa and some one year prove it deals/other team cuts.    We are already better if we do nothing other than draft well.  

Hard to draft starters at CB, LB, and IOL when the team drafts last in every round.  Gotta have some creative trades.

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

Hard to draft starters at CB, LB, and IOL when the team drafts last in every round.  Gotta have some creative trades.

CB is pretty deep. I think we can get a good OL or LB in round 2. I think we will be fine

The team is back and we can win just like last year. Also have yet to see how things shake out with contracts for our guys too.

3 hours ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

i feel like the new cba should have granted the ability to cut a player every couple years without affecting the cap. Aka the chiefs give eric berry a mega deal and he decides to quit on the team. Was a stupid move to sign him but an even shittier move by berry

Yeah they granted one exception in the NBA for that, even though I can't remember what they called it.   

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

You should realistically be able to address 2 of the three with starters.  With the way Veach has drafted and what crappy options we ran out of the field last year at Will and IOL its not far fetched to imagine a late 2nd and 3rd rounder player being a pretty decent upgrade.   I still think Breeland gets resigned for a pretty decent contract in the area of 3/24 in which our entire team is coming back pretty much with the addition of 5 rookies and our rookies from last year having a year of experience....we should be a good bit better regardless.

1 minute ago, kkuenn said:

The Bird right? Is that what you are talking about?

Yep that's the one.   We could have dropped Hitchens like a bad habit, kept Ragland and signed Schobert, Littleton, etc and been reasonable set at LB this year.

16 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Yep that's the one.   We could have dropped Hitchens like a bad habit, kept Ragland and signed Schobert, Littleton, etc and been reasonable set at LB this year.

I think Ragland needed to go. I hope they move Hitchens to his role. Limited cover ability, just let him go into lanes and blow it up. No reading just going and plugging the lanes. If it works great. If not let him go next year 

21 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

You should realistically be able to address 2 of the three with starters.  With the way Veach has drafted and what crappy options we ran out of the field last year at Will and IOL its not far fetched to imagine a late 2nd and 3rd rounder player being a pretty decent upgrade.   I still think Breeland gets resigned for a pretty decent contract in the area of 3/24 in which our entire team is coming back pretty much with the addition of 5 rookies and our rookies from last year having a year of experience....we should be a good bit better regardless.

This CB class is so deep, I have little doubt that we can find a day 1 contributor at the end of rd 2. Maybe not an immediate starter, but someone in the rotation. We still need a veteran with starting experience there though. Hopefully on a 1 yr deal that doesnt affect the comp formula.

I'm praying to the heavens that Queen or Murray drop to 32. I'm jot optimistic. Although a lot of pundits seem to believe Baun has the ability to play Will in an even front or Edge in an odd front. He should be there at 32. 

I think we will have much better luck going LB rd 1 and CB rd 2, than vice versa. This LB class is pathetic.

And yes, I also agree they could find a possible day 1 starter at C or OG in rd 3. Rankins is already going to upgrade LG. I cant wait to see how he performs with a whole season to work with Heck.

4 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

This CB class is so deep, I have little doubt that we can find a day 1 contributor at the end of rd 2. Maybe not an immediate starter, but someone in the rotation. We still need a veteran with starting experience there though. Hopefully on a 1 yr deal that doesnt affect the comp formula.

I'm praying to the heavens that Queen or Murray drop to 32. I'm jot optimistic. Although a lot of pundits seem to believe Baun has the ability to play Will or Edge in an odd front. He should be there at 32. 

I think we will have much better luck going LB rd 1 and CB rd 2, than vice versa. This LB class is pathetic.

And yes, I also agree they could find a possible day 1 starter at C or OG in rd 3. Rankins is already going to upgrade LG. I cant wait to see how he performs with a whole season to work with Heck.

If one of the LBs is still there at #32, the Chiefs should grab him.  If not, they could trade down to #37 or #38 and pick up an early fourth, still get the CB they targeted, and have that extra pick around #112. 

6 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I'm praying to the heavens that Queen or Murray drop to 32. I'm jot optimistic. Although a lot of pundits seem to believe Baun has the ability to play Will or Edge in an odd front. He should be there at 32. 

I agree.  Does resigning your own FA's count against the comp formula? (e.g. Breeland)    You are totally right about the LB and CB class.   I've been hearing some stuff about Murray not being the greatest fit, not sure how true that is.  He surely can't be a downgrade over what we ran out last year though.   I think Baun might be the guy and he might end up being better than both.  Queen is a freak but he's smallish too for what Spags typically likes at LB.   I would be happy with any of the 3 but you won't find anything but long shots at 63 at the LB position.  Still though I think Rankins is an upgrade and Wylie back on the right side might really help our IOL.   Not sold on Reiter though and would love drafting a center this year but maybe Allegretti is a dark horse there.   Should be fun once things actually start picking up.

19 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

I agree.  Does resigning your own FA's count against the comp formula? (e.g. Breeland)    You are totally right about the LB and CB class.   I've been hearing some stuff about Murray not being the greatest fit, not sure how true that is.  He surely can't be a downgrade over what we ran out last year though.   I think Baun might be the guy and he might end up being better than both.  Queen is a freak but he's smallish too for what Spags typically likes at LB.   I would be happy with any of the 3 but you won't find anything but long shots at 63 at the LB position.  Still though I think Rankins is an upgrade and Wylie back on the right side might really help our IOL.   Not sold on Reiter though and would love drafting a center this year but maybe Allegretti is a dark horse there.   Should be fun once things actually start picking up.

There are several centers or guard/centers that would be an instant upgrade over Reiter.  Muti, Ruiz, Cushenberry, Harris, Biadasz might be instant starters. 

18 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

I'd agree that Spags typically goes with the heavier LB except if you look back, including his time here in KC, he tries his best to get a very athletic WILL linebacker.  Going back to Giants days and having Jonathan Casillas man the WILL that would give him a fast LB for coverage and overall athletic abilities even though it seems Casillas at about 220 couldn't cut it on running downs and would be subbed.  Same goes with DoD here.  Seems that didn't work out so here comes Lee and that didn't do what he wanted either.

So I think if giving the chance Spags would LOVE LOVE LOVE a guy like Queen or Murray over Baun for his WILL.  I'm thinking that either Queen or Murray could be that WILL he has always looked for but come up short.  Now just have to figure out how to move up for Simmons HAHAHA

Surprised no one has mentioned Clowney, especially Balto. He has lowered his asking price. 

Figured I would see something like Watkins is restructured or cut. Saves us 14 mil if cut. Let Reiters go too. The sign Clowney and keep Jones tagged for now to work out a long term deal or trade him next year. Draft Ruiz (C) and go from there.

Clowney, Jones, Penell, Clark in the line. Saunders, Speaks, Okafor and Nnadi as depth. Be even better if we signed Breeland and only need to get LB, WR us deep and maybe RB/TE in draft then if we got Ruiz at center.

4 hours ago, kkuenn said:

Surprised no one has mentioned Clowney, especially Balto. He has lowered his asking price. 

Figured I would see something like Watkins is restructured or cut. Saves us 14 mil if cut. Let Reiters go too. The sign Clowney and keep Jones tagged for now to work out a long term deal or trade him next year. Draft Ruiz (C) and go from there.

Clowney, Jones, Penell, Clark in the line. Saunders, Speaks, Okafor and Nnadi as depth. Be even better if we signed Breeland and only need to get LB, WR us deep and maybe RB/TE in draft then if we got Ruiz at center.

Meh I just don’t think Clowney is even worth the $18M he wants.