2020 NFL Free Agency Thread

11 hours ago, kkuenn said:

Surprised no one has mentioned Clowney, especially Balto. He has lowered his asking price. 

Figured I would see something like Watkins is restructured or cut. Saves us 14 mil if cut. Let Reiters go too. The sign Clowney and keep Jones tagged for now to work out a long term deal or trade him next year. Draft Ruiz (C) and go from there.

Clowney, Jones, Penell, Clark in the line. Saunders, Speaks, Okafor and Nnadi as depth. Be even better if we signed Breeland and only need to get LB, WR us deep and maybe RB/TE in draft then if we got Ruiz at center.

Maybe your wife needs to put a lock on the liquor cabinet during the quarantine, Kyle? Having this much committed to the cap in 1 position group is already problematic. So you want to add another player to that and literally have 25% of our total cap tied up in 3 players on the D-line? 

3 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Maybe your wife needs to put a lock on the liquor cabinet during the quarantine, Kyle? Having this much committed to the cap in 1 position group is already problematic. So you want to add another player to that and literally have 25% of our total cap tied up in 3 players on the D-line? 

I am 1200 miles away from my liquor cabinet. It is a pipe dream at best, but with no sports it is something to do.

2 hours ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

I agree, i think frank clarke is a better end and i only think clarke is worth about 10 mil a year

I hope u know that opinion is not based on market rates.  He's a little overpaid but not by that much.  

21 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

The article is a week old but maybe the Eagles are negotiating with Watkins to lower his costs.  Sammy would probably be happy to go to a playoff contender with a young QB.

21 minutes ago, jetlord said:

The article is a week old but maybe the Eagles are negotiating with Watkins to lower his costs.  Sammy would probably be happy to go to a playoff contender with a young QB.

you mean like the team he is on now? lol

Balto's Crazy Off-Season....

With everything going on I thought we could all use a little entertainment....Enjoy 

Major Needs:  CB, LB, IOL, WR

Cap Space:  Basically zero atm

Being the Super Bowl champs we should focus on staying at least on the same level if not try to improve as much as we can!  To do so a team must have Cap space, lots of draft picks or players you can trade.  We'll sadly we are pretty thin on every option.  So sit back and lets see if we can find a few ways to make this team better, gain more picks and stay ok when it comes to Cap!

First things first....Chris Jones!  Love the guy but he is probably our single player that gives us any ability to get better by trading a player.  Even if I think Jones has more value than DeForest Buckner I'm just gonna use him as a close comparison on value.  Buckner got traded for the #13th overall pick....Plus got a new contract worth on avg $21M a year!  I really do not see Jones playing under the franchise tag this year.  Either he will be traded OR sign to a new deal.  So lets say it would cost us the same $21M a year....OUCH but probably worth it to a team with tons of cap but maybe just not us?  Might make more sense in spreading that money out to multiple players that still make an impact while also supporting ours and the NFLs best player Patrick "Showtime" Mahomes! 

Trade:

Bengals get:

Chris Jones, give him his 4 years and $84M contract

Sammy Watkins, younger WR that becomes the #1 option for new QB Burrows and cost them $14M or can sign to a new deal.  

Chiefs get:

Geno Atkins, Still has at least 3 solid years left in him and will only cost us about $11M this next season while still being under contract for 3 more season!

AJ Green, Reports are that he either wants to be overpaid by Bengals OR traded to a contender to accept a market value contract. 

Bengals 2nd round pick which is #33

Lets look at this trade a little...IF we are giving Jones a #13 overall trade value like the market suggest this trade has KC losing value to be honest.  The #33 pick plus Geno Atkins doesn't scream #13 if you ask me BUT it does give us a still elite player that helps our DT spot not drop off more than anyone else we could bring in to replace Jones ATM.  PFF still loves them some Geno Atkins and he seems to always be one of the highest snap count guys in the NFL.  I think a role like Chris Jones had in Spags D could prolong his career.  YES I do agree he is not on Jones's level atm but if we are trading Jones I don't see a better path in replacing him with a known player than this.  Plus the cap savings of almost $21M-$11M=$10M saved.  I also love the idea of going into the draft with two of the most important picks at #32 and #33!  Lots could happen with those.

I also see the AJ Green and Watkins trade kinda a wash.  I've seen where Green wants $20M from Bengals or around $12-$14 if traded to a SB contender.  Bengals go with a younger cheaper WR in Watkins to hopefully grow as Burrows #1 target.  Green on the other hand is a big risk for KC.  If healthy he would provide much more talent than Watkins but the key is being healthy.  Reports are that he was GTG for most of last season but played the I'm not ready card because the team sucked.  We could be getting a top 5 talent at WR if he is healthy.  I say give him a 3 year contract worth about $36M.

What this trade does to our Cap.....

Jones if we keep him will avg at least $21M a year

Watkins gone saves us $14M($7M in dead money) or could restructure and stay on for about $14M

Geno will cost us $11M 

Green will cost us $12M

So at the end of the day we gain about $5M OR $12M if Veach is trying to keep Sammy.

OK now we need to take a look at our OL!  Most important player we have is Mahomes!  we must keep him clean!

The places we are good...RT

The places we are overpaying for...LT and RG

The places that need upgrading ASAP.....LG and OC

Chiefs are spending the most at OT in the NFL while near the end at interior OL.  I think Pats skills point to having a studly interior OL while being able to get by with avg tackles...BUT why not have studs everywhere?  We should look at moving Fisher with his avg play and $15M a year contract!  Now we will only save about $6M if traded before June 1st and about $9M if after June 1st so this might not go down until later!  Lets also look at LDT, while I like his play over all I don't see him as a $9M cap hit like he is now!  IF traded now it would save us about $5M and if traded after June 1st $6M.  Not a big difference here.

So if we want to upgrade the OL where do we look?  Trade?  Draft?  I say BOTH!  If you look around the NFL what team do you see that has a top 3 LT begging to be traded and the reportedly looking for a 2nd rounder!  YUP the same team Veach has had multiple dealings with...Washington Redskins and Trent Williams.  Williams is a stud and in my eyes one of if not the best LT in the NFL.  Wants out of Washington and doesn't seem to wanna move off that position.  Skins also have the best OG in the NFL, Scherff, that has been franchised tagged AND just signed it...meaning maybe a trade is coming?!?!?!?!

TRADE: 

Skins get:

Fisher, Younger LT that will only cost them about $10M and is under contract a couple more years.

LDT, a avg guard but at $6M comes with SB experience and much cheaper than Scherff's $15M franchise tag.

Chiefs 2nd round pick #63

Chiefs get:

Trent Williams, I say give him his money because he is worth it.  4 years @ $73M 

Brandon Scherff, again I say pay the man because he is that good!  4 years @ $50M

I see the Skins pulling the trigger on this because they are realizing that Williams will just sit out another season unless traded..thus why reports said they wanted two 1st last year down to 1 1st and now reporting they will take a 2nd to be done.  I see a even swap for Fisher is a good deal for them in the given situation they are in.  We are adding cap here but we are getting one of the best tackles in the game and Veach can easily make the cap hit hurt worse by having this year lower base salary.  I see LDT plus a 2nd more than fair comp for Scherff.  Guess you could also look at it as we gave them the 2nd they wanted for Williams and Fisher+LDT for Scherff is that sounds better haha.

This put in force a Elite LT and Elite OG to go along with the best RT in the NFL.  Now we just need upgrades at OC and 1 more guard!

Cap after this trade:

Well we come into this trade with about $5M or $12M if Veach had planned on restructuring Watkins and keeping him before we landed AJ Green.

Let's also plan on these being a post June 1st recorded trade!

Fisher, saves us about $9M

LDT, saves  us about $6M

So now we have $5M+$9M+$6M=$20M

I think Veach can sign draft picks(about $5M) and get Breeland, Williams and Scherff contracts for 2020 in that $15M range using signing bonuses!

NOW onto the draft:

Needs coming into the draft are now IOL, CB and LB

Draft picks:

#1.32

#2.33

3rd

4th

5th

Chiefs pick at #32....

Patrick Queen, LB

Queen will give Spags his best ever WILL LB to stay in all 3 downs!  Great fit IMO

Chiefs pick at #33.....

TRADE.....!!!!!!!!  Miami has more picks than they can roster players haha.  Some nice players dropped to day 2 and Miami wanted to make sure they get their guy!  They pay up to do it!

Chiefs get:

#2.39

#2.56

Miami get:

#2.33

Chiefs new pick at #39.....

Lloyd Cushenberry, OC

This guy screams Andy Reid pick!  Could easily be Mahomes starting center for the next 10 years

Chiefs #56:  Best CB on the board

3rd:  BPA

4th:  BPA

5th:  BPA

8 hours ago, xen said:

I hope u know that opinion is not based on market rates.  He's a little overpaid but not by that much.  

Yeah i know, all free agents get overpayed, its the nature of the beast. I would say the difference between clarke, ogbah, okafor etc is not much, definitely not double or triple the cap vslue.

2 hours ago, kkuenn said:

My God, the quarantine is messing with you Balto! I need some aspirin 

Lol. He keeps wanting to trade our Left tackle who we went 9-0 with last year and has a manageable contract. Now he wants to reinvent the roster with a ton of new faces in a year with no offseason program.  

I’ll keep it simple. Keep the championship team in tact as much as possible this year and supplement with BPA on draft day and a few tactical 1 year band aids. Leave the turnover for next year when we will have more money, more draft picks and more time to get players ready. 

4 hours ago, kkuenn said:

If Watkins takes a cut, maybe the Chiefs can snag a sixth and a cheesesteak sandwich.  Hate to lose him.  He was a great part time player, but no way is he getting $21 million from the Chiefs.