2020 NFL Free Agency Thread

20 minutes ago, jetlord said:

If Watkins takes a cut, maybe the Chiefs can snag a sixth and a cheesesteak sandwich.  Hate to lose him.  He was a great part time player, but no way is he getting $21 million from the Chiefs. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/andy-reid-wont-commit-to-sammy-watkins-returning-to-chiefs-in-2020/

28 minutes ago, jetlord said:

If Watkins takes a cut, maybe the Chiefs can snag a sixth and a cheesesteak sandwich.  Hate to lose him.  He was a great part time player, but no way is he getting $21 million from the Chiefs. 

The Eagles would only have to pay him $14m if they traded for him.  When healthy he is worth that.  But that is a big "when".

The eagles need help at WR and have three 3rd round picks giving one up for a top WR is worth it for them next year. 

55 minutes ago, Palangi said:

The Eagles would only have to pay him $14m if they traded for him.  When healthy he is worth that.  But that is a big "when".

The eagles need help at WR and have three 3rd round picks giving one up for a top WR is worth it for them next year. 

Eagles wr core is terrible. Philly is definitely a solid landing spot. With the draft depth At WR, I think teams are going to wait until after the draft to make a move. I think, if he’s dealt, it would be after the draft. Someone could get desperate. 

6 hours ago, jetlord said:

With the cut he took now we get the player and production for another year and a likely 3rd/4th round  comp pick in 2022. 

16 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

You armchair capologists, how do the $7M in incentives work if he meets them?  Do they go on the 2021 cap?

No. On this year. This is why the savings is 5 million. I assume those he does not meet will then roll over cap for next year

17 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

You armchair capologists, how do the $7M in incentives work if he meets them?  Do they go on the 2021 cap?

not sure but I think IF he meets the incentives its going to be ugly..hopefully with the benefit of another SB victory tho. I think the chiefs are betting against him

3 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

No. On this year. This is why the savings is 5 million. I assume those he does not meet will then roll over cap for next year

That doesn't make sense.  I thought his existing contract was $14M in salary for 2020, with $7M in dead money, hence the $21M cap hit.

Then the reworked contract is apparently $9M in salary with up to $7M in incentives, for a total of $16M.  The $14M - $9M = $5M is where the cap savings comes from, but how does the $7M count, if he hits it?  Again, it's not the same $7M as the dead money cap hit.

15 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

That doesn't make sense.  I thought his existing contract was $14M in salary for 2020, with $7M in dead money, hence the $21M cap hit.

Then the reworked contract is apparently $9M in salary with up to $7M in incentives, for a total of $16M.  The $14M - $9M = $5M is where the cap savings comes from, but how does the $7M count, if he hits it?  Again, it's not the same $7M as the dead money cap hit.

I take it the hit this year for sammy as we had him still on our team was 21 million. This new deal is guaranteed 9 mil with 7 mil incentitives. 21 -16 is 5 million savings off the top. The incentives come into play once we know what they are but as a team you have to figure the 16 million hit in now.  

2 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

I take it the hit this year for sammy as we had him still on our team was 21 million. This new deal is guaranteed 9 mil with 7 mil incentitives. 21 -16 is 5 million savings off the top. The incentives come into play once we know what they are but as a team you have to figure the 16 million hit in now.  

That could be, but I don't understand why you wouldn't count an additional $7M from the previous dead money if the new $9M + $7M is replacing his $14M salary.  It's replacing his salary, not his cap hit.

Hmmm

before the new contract:

$21M hit if stayed on roster.....$7M hit if cut/traded.

New contract:

Should still have the $7M dead money cap hit PLUS his new $9M equaling $16M in cap hit PLUS he could get the incentives of up to another $7M.  Making a total of $23M I’m cap hit.  Of course bonus/incentives are paid out from the following years cap I believe.

SO YES we will gain about $5M in instant Cap Room BUT this still means we are paying Sammy $16M towards cap this year and maybe another additional $7M next year even if he isn’t on the team.  

Man I’m just not sure he is worth that cap hit

1 minute ago, Balto said:

Hmmm

before the new contract:

New contract:

Should still have the $7M dead money cap hit PLUS his new $9M equaling $16M in cap hit PLUS he could get the incentives of up to another $7M.  Making a total of $23M I’m cap hit.  Of course bonus/incentives are paid out from the following years cap I believe.

Yeah that's what I'm saying.  If bonuses count against 2021 then we turned a $21M 2020 cap hit into a $16M 2020 cap hit (and thus the new $5M) plus up to $7M in 2021.

3 minutes ago, Balto said:

Hmmm

before the new contract:

New contract:

No he can earn up to 16 million with new contract. That is how we got 5 million savings. Man you all are confusing me.

5 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

No he can earn up to 16 million with new contract. That is how we got 5 million savings. Man you all are confusing me.

The first part is right, but you're missing some of the nuances combined with the fact that some of the numbers are the same.  Again:

2020 previous contract:
$7M dead money
$14M salary
$21M total cap hit

2020 new contract:
$7M dead money from previous contract
$9M salary + up to $7M in incentives = $16M
$16M total cap hit = $7M dead money + $9M salary, NOT the incentives

$21M - $16M = $5M saved for 2020.

The new incentives are paid on the 2021 cap, whatever they are.

I'm assuming that's how it has to work, I just didn't know for sure if the incentives get added to the cap AFTER you earn them, in this case 2021 (if he earns them).  Probably depends on the type of incentive as well.

3 minutes ago, xen said:

If the incentives are structured as not likely to be earned they would not hit the cap until triggered.

FYI these are categorized as not likely to be earned because he reached none of these in 2019.  The following are the not likely to be earned incentives in Sammy's new contract:

• 75% of regular-season playing time (or seven touchdowns): $1 million
  • 8 touchdowns and team makes playoffs: $750,000
  • 65 catches and playoffs: $750,000
  • 800 yards receiving and playoffs: $750,000
  • Team wins AFC Championship (with 50% snaps in the game): $1.25 million
  • 65 catches and AFC Championship: $1.25 million
  • 800 yards and AFC Championship: $1.25 million

1 hour ago, xen said:

FYI these are categorized as not likely to be earned because he reached none of these in 2019.  The following are the not likely to be earned incentives in Sammy's new contract:

• 75% of regular-season playing time (or seven touchdowns): $1 million
  • 8 touchdowns and team makes playoffs: $750,000
  • 65 catches and playoffs: $750,000
  • 800 yards receiving and playoffs: $750,000
  • Team wins AFC Championship (with 50% snaps in the game): $1.25 million
  • 65 catches and AFC Championship: $1.25 million
  • 800 yards and AFC Championship: $1.25 million

So if Chiefs don't make the SB, Sammy possibly takes $3.75 less.  Guess he'd play lights out in the AFCCG.