2020 NFL Free Agency Thread

1 hour ago, Holmes4six! said:

Kudos to Veach. Not only that, but we often hear about the Pats letting go of players at the right time. Well our man Veach did just that in this case.

Someone here lost their shit about trading him. 

Count me among those that felt like Veach got poor value in both the Ford and Clark trades.  My best recollection is that Veach also tends to overpay according to the draft chart.  I agreed that Clark was a better player, just not a full first-rounder better when we were going to dole out a big contract.  So Veach is aggressive in getting the guys he wants, but he better be right - when you give up all that draft capital we need almost everything to be Mahomes, Clark, Hardman, etc., and not Breeland Speaks, DOD, and K-Mac.

Re: Ford and Clark, I still think we didn't get great value (and I could throw Peters in there too), but I'm starting to revise that position a little bit.  Clearly if SF is willing to give up on Ford after one year (or LA on Peters) then they see the weaknesses that we saw.

The fact that Veach got more than comp pick value for a DEnd with 2 good years out of 5 and known back issues is a minor miracle.

Clark however is Mr. Consistent.  If you think Ford was worth a 2nd then there's no way Clark wasn't worth what we paid.  Hell the attitude/leadership are just the cherries on top.  He's a tone setter.

2 hours ago, Adamixoye said:

Count me among those that felt like Veach got poor value in both the Ford and Clark trades.  My best recollection is that Veach also tends to overpay according to the draft chart.  I agreed that Clark was a better player, just not a full first-rounder better when we were going to dole out a big contract.  So Veach is aggressive in getting the guys he wants, but he better be right - when you give up all that draft capital we need almost everything to be Mahomes, Clark, Hardman, etc., and not Breeland Speaks, DOD, and K-Mac.

Re: Ford and Clark, I still think we didn't get great value (and I could throw Peters in there too), but I'm starting to revise that position a little bit.  Clearly if SF is willing to give up on Ford after one year (or LA on Peters) then they see the weaknesses that we saw.

People can think we over paid or did not get value in trades but bottom line we won the SB! We still have a great team again this year so it is not like we went all in ala Rams.

I think even then fans here would be happy to have won it all. The cherry on top is we still have a full team of starters with an increase in cap and many options next year too in FA, cap space and the draft. 

1 hour ago, kkuenn said:

People can think we over paid or did not get value in trades but bottom line we won the SB! We still have a great team again this year so it is not like we went all in ala Rams.

I think even then fans here would be happy to have won it all. The cherry on top is we still have a full team of starters with an increase in cap and many options next year too in FA, cap space and the draft. 

I believe in process over results.  Something working out doesn't mean we can't question whether or not it was the right value.  Whatever we did to win the SB was worth it (in hindsight), and I don't think we mortgaged our future.  But, does that mean we got optimal value?  Not necessarily.  It's not mutually exclusive to say something was a good move that contributed to the SB win but also we didn't get market value.  I'm not being ungrateful about the results by any stretch.  But it's okay to have a nuanced on opinion on whether or not maybe we could have done better on those trades.

35 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

I believe in process over results.  Something working out doesn't mean we can't question whether or not it was the right value.  Whatever we did to win the SB was worth it (in hindsight), and I don't think we mortgaged our future.  But, does that mean we got optimal value?  Not necessarily.  It's not mutually exclusive to say something was a good move that contributed to the SB win but also we didn't get market value.  I'm not being ungrateful about the results by any stretch.  But it's okay to have a nuanced on opinion on whether or not maybe we could have done better on those trades.

I was not happy with the Peters trade in what we got but it turned out right for us. Ford i think we may have squeezed out a late round pick too. Clark I was fine with because of the 43 switch too.

Every one if these worked out for us and helped solidify the defense too. I think if Sutton was gone last year in 2018 season, we may have been looking at 2 in a row.

I trust Veach and the staff now. Sure we as fans can say we could have received more, but we dont know for sure. Veach does and what he has received he has turned into a winner so far.

For everyone bagging on Ford, the 49ers D wasn't the same without him.  He is a one trick pony but that one trick is pretty darn good.  Couple that with Buckner, Armstead and Bosa and that was by far the best Dline in the NFL.  Remove Buckner and Ford and Bosa's life just got a lot harder and their D is gonna suffer badly for it.  I truly believe their secondary looked a lot better because of all that pressure up front.   It's why I've changed my mind about Jones.  Figure out how to pay him and keep the pressure up front constant, then the players behind them don't all have to be elite to function well.   

Like someone else said, I would have dealt Ford before dealing Buckner...now they will probably lose both.   If they don't address it they wont be back to the SB.

Getting anything back for Ford was a win. The guy is not healthy enough for the NFL and never really progressed as a player. Came in as a one-trick pony and still is that guy with nothing to show for it on the field for the money he got in return.  

9 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

For everyone bagging on Ford, the 49ers D wasn't the same without him.  He is a one trick pony but that one trick is pretty darn good.  Couple that with Buckner, Armstead and Bosa and that was by far the best Dline in the NFL.  Remove Buckner and Ford and Bosa's life just got a lot harder and their D is gonna suffer badly for it.  I truly believe their secondary looked a lot better because of all that pressure up front.   It's why I've changed my mind about Jones.  Figure out how to pay him and keep the pressure up front constant, then the players behind them don't all have to be elite to function well.   

Like someone else said, I would have dealt Ford before dealing Buckner...now they will probably lose both.   If they don't address it they wont be back to the SB.

great point about our D line and Jones. I agree.

The Chiefs didn't get the right value from Ford because teams absolutely knew they had to get rid of him.  His tag # wasn't sustainable for a player they had zero plans to keep.

With that considered, getting a 2 for a one trick brokedick pony that they had no leverage on was somewhat impressive.

The Chiefs took a beating on the Frank Clark trade, but they absolutely were going to.  That draft slot was ass and the Seahawks knew it.