2020 NFL Free Agency Thread

10 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

Not sure where you are getting that but it’s a 5.5 million dollar post June anything. 

Post June trade is $2M dead money.......with $3.5M cap savings!  According to over the cap

12 hours ago, kkuenn said:

Man you just can't let the Fisher thing go. 

Fisher is over paid......we pay our OTs more than any team in the NFL and it is effecting our IOL.  I think gaining a pro bowl OG and looking to replace Fishers huge contract just makes sense.

1 hour ago, Balto said:

Fisher is over paid......we pay our OTs more than any team in the NFL and it is effecting our IOL.  I think gaining a pro bowl OG and looking to replace Fishers huge contract just makes sense.

Sure it makes sense.  But you have to have a sound exit strategy.  The Chiefs currently have an idea of one with Niang, but they'll want to see it in practice first, and rightfully so.  Frankly, I think they like Niang at one of the tackle spots next year but there's no way to know how he'll do till they get him on the field and evaluate.

18 minutes ago, xen said:

Sure it makes sense.  But you have to have a sound exit strategy.  The Chiefs currently have an idea of one with Niang, but they'll want to see it in practice first, and rightfully so.  Frankly, I think they like Niang at one of the tackle spots next year but there's no way to know how he'll do till they get him on the field and evaluate.

Don't forget Greg Senat and Jackson Barton who were on the team last year too. 

There does seem to be an abundance of young tackle depth with an eye to the future. And that doesn't include Yasir Durant. 

If Balto is right about the money on LDT and Fisher is movable I would consider it. Not to mention the release of Reiter. That money is better spent on Chris Jones and Mahomes.

LT- Niang, Senat

LG- Rankins, Wylie

C- Allegretti, Williams 

RG- Warford, Durant

RT- Schwartz, Barton 

1 hour ago, Palangi said:

There does seem to be an abundance of young tackle depth with an eye to the future. And that doesn't include Yasir Durant. 

If Balto is right about the money on LDT and Fisher is movable I would consider it. Not to mention the release of Reiter. That money is better spent on Chris Jones and Mahomes.

LT- Niang, Senat

LG- Rankins, Wylie

C- Allegretti, Williams 

RG- Warford, Durant

RT- Schwartz, Barton 

I really like that Oline

5 hours ago, Balto said:

The Chiefs were 9-0 with Fish at LT.  He’s not overpaid. 

6 hours ago, Balto said:

We are 2nd in paying 8 tackles per overthecap. Raiders are first with only 7 tackles. In 2021 we are currently 2nd too but there will be adjustments with FA and such.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/tackle/

21 hours ago, xen said:

I know Veach talked about the quickest way to get him into the lineup would be at guard. Then having him kick out to tackle next year, which we talked quite bit about them doing exactly that when we discussed players prior to the draft. But Niang played most of his snaps on the right side. I find it difficult to believe they'd have him go from RG to LT year 2. 

So basically what I'm saying is either he plays LG, and Rankins plays RG this year, then they kick him outside and save massive cap money by moving on from Fisher...or they play him at RG which would be a much easier transition from a footwork standpoint, then kick him out to RT and cut Schwartz next year.

Problem is Schwartz is the more durable player, the better player, and the cheaper player. His cap hit and the cap savings in 2021 is about 4 million less than Fisher. 

Is there a chance Fisher just gets an extension and it changes his cap number for 2021 and we can go 2 years with Fisher, Rankins, Niang, and Schwartz all playing together?

I did say "trade Fisher NEXT Off-Season"...Sign a stuf OG NOW and put this years cap hit lower and look at trading Fisher next year.

IF Fish wants to resign a long term contract and get his cap hit back down to around $7M/$8M I'd love to keep him...but I just dont see him doing that.

23 hours ago, Palangi said:

LT- Niang, Senat

LG- Rankins, Wylie

C- Allegretti, Williams 

RG- Warford, Durant

RT- Schwartz, Barton 

LOVE IT!  Looks like much better balance of talent/contracts across the OLINE and I'd still look at drafting more competition 

19 hours ago, kkuenn said:

We are 2nd in paying 8 tackles per overthecap. Raiders are first with only 7 tackles. In 2021 we are currently 2nd too but there will be adjustments with FA and such.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/tackle/

Yes we are 2nd when looking at ALL tackles...but 1st when just looking at starters.  Fishers cap hit has doubled this year!

23 hours ago, Palangi said:

LT- Niang, Senat

LG- Rankins, Wylie

C- Allegretti, Williams 

RG- Warford, Durant

RT- Schwartz, Barton 

Pala, thoughts on Schwartz switching to LT?  I know I know don't mess with a good thing BUT he played LT in College and if our depth tackles are better for RT why not try it?  Schwartz is elite

11 hours ago, Balto said:

Pala, thoughts on Schwartz switching to LT?  I know I know don't mess with a good thing BUT he played LT in College and if our depth tackles are better for RT why not try it?  Schwartz is elite

I think the LT and RT are pretty similar at this point.  A lot of teams put there best pass rusher against the RT now.  Keep him there. Let Niang develop as the LT. 

9 hours ago, Palangi said:

I think the LT and RT are pretty similar at this point.  A lot of teams put there best pass rusher against the RT now.  Keep him there. Let Niang develop as the LT. 

Boom! The LT vs. RT issue is way overplayed in today's NFL. Thanks for pointing that out.

1 hour ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/05/12/report-larry-warford-looking-for-salary-around-7-million/

Man I wish they would have waited a week to do the restructure on LDT...

If we still wanted him I’m sure we could make it work.   Heard somewhere that he’s pretty slow (really good but slow) and Andy has typically liked his guards to be somewhat athletic.   With Mahomes now maybe there is a shift in that.  Either way he would help and 7 mil per ain’t horrible.

6 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

If we still wanted him I’m sure we could make it work.   Heard somewhere that he’s pretty slow (really good but slow) and Andy has typically liked his guards to be somewhat athletic.   With Mahomes now maybe there is a shift in that.  Either way he would help and 7 mil per ain’t horrible.

They just drafted a RB in rd 1 that works best in zone and gap schemes.  Andy ain't changing his blocking scheme at this point.  He's revised it when he had to, like when Fulton was in and couldn't run the scheme, but that's about it.

9 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

Yeah maybe you are right. Not a great match schematically.