Veach slow playing

I love how he’s playing this. No reason to overreact or be obligated to make a move. I think he’s making Watkins value go up watching the wide out frenzy. Probably be able to pull a 3rd or 4th. I see him working it out with Cj too. There’s a lot of dumb shit happening right now.

20 minutes ago, Calichief said:

I love how he’s playing this. No reason to overreact or be obligated to make a move. I think he’s making Watkins value go up watching the wide out frenzy. Probably be able to pull a 3rd or 4th. I see him working it out with Cj too. There’s a lot of dumb shit happening right now.

Yup love seeing the desperate moves being pulled by desperate teams in desperate times.

you see Foles go to the bears? lol. Desperate. 

wonder where Winston will go. Maybe to the desperate Patriots .. 

Nobody is going to trade for Watkins salary. I think he may let the receiver market dry up and let teams spend all their money then try to renegotiate a more reasonable extension... maybe. Otherwise, Veach is content keeping the team in tact and using draft for positions. Still need a CB or LB maybe on prove it deals, but worse can happen going into the season with basically the same SB winning team.

17 minutes ago, Calichief said:

Yeah I think there is no reason to overpay for average or slightly above average talent because of money burning a hole in a GM's pocket and a supposed need.   We were never going to be big players in FA but with all this money getting spent in the first couple of days we could find some real bargains and some good one year prove it deals for guys who fell through the cracks.   I do look for one or the other to get traded but it wouldn't surprise me to see Veach try and run this back.   I also think some teams are waiting and hoping we cut Watkins to swoop in but if Veach plays this right and finds a little luck in how the FA pool shapes up he could end up getting that 3rd or 4th from a desperate team.  Only time will tell.

Just now, Biggjliv4 said:

Nobody is going to trade for Watkins salary. I think he may let the receiver market dry up and let teams spend all their money then try to renegotiate a more reasonable extension... maybe. Otherwise, Veach is content keeping the team in tact and using draft for positions. Still need a CB or LB maybe on prove it deals, but worse can happen going into the season with basically the same SB winning team.

He’s going to have to restructure anywhere to play. He can be traded and restructure. 

Just now, Biggjliv4 said:

Its a one year 14 million dollar deal with the chance to extend him or rework the deal.   We've seen some crazy stuff happen the last couple days to say "Nobody".   It only takes one desperate team to offer a 5th or a future pick.   

I agree....

Watkins will only cost a team $14M!  I will say Amari Cooper is worth more atm but he got $20M and a guy like Cobb got around $9M a year.  I think even if no restructure $14M and not being locked in log term seems pretty reasonable.   Gotta think that he is also only 27.  I'm thinking Veach would be more than happy to restructure him IF it only cost US $14M vs the current $21M even.

Seems to me Sammy implied recently that he would be willing to restructure. Will have to let it play out. Most of the key pieces from this year's SB team will be in play except for Watkins if he is traded or cut. Fuller and Breeland are replaceable pieces. The biggest loss to me so far has been Ogbah. Sorry to see him not resigned.

Watkins wants to stay.....I am a supporter but also rational....He is injury prone and misses games each year.

That said, the dude played outstanding football for KC this past year and was clutch in the big games.

He needs to restructure to allow the team to keep the mojo.  Frank Clark just did.

It's a nice chance for Sammy to prove he is "core"....

w

2 hours ago, West said:

Watkins wants to stay.....I am a supporter but also rational....He is injury prone and misses games each year.

That said, the dude played outstanding football for KC this past year and was clutch in the big games.

He needs to restructure to allow the team to keep the mojo.  Frank Clark just did.

It's a nice chance for Sammy to prove he is "core"....

w

Frank converted money to a bonus.  He didn’t take a pay cut lol.  It definitely helped the team this year but he didn’t get asked to take a pay cut like we are asking Watkins.  Those two things aren’t that same but he’s not worth more than 10-12 million per year and the only reason he’s worth that much is we are already on the hook for 7 million regardless.   What is practical is a 2/24 million dollar deal.  The first year is worth 10 and the second 14. That would shave about 10 million off our books and if he plays lights out would warrant him possibly finishing out the deal here.  
Personally I think he’s looking for the most money and won’t settle for that kinda pay cut.  We mentioned and state that he said he’d take more but if you look at what he really said and how he said it then you can tell he’s not referring to some big time pay cut. Oh well Veach will get this all worked out.

On 3/18/2020 at 3:52 PM, Balto said:

I agree....

Watkins will only cost a team $14M!  I will say Amari Cooper is worth more atm but he got $20M and a guy like Cobb got around $9M a year.  I think even if no restructure $14M and not being locked in log term seems pretty reasonable.   Gotta think that he is also only 27.  I'm thinking Veach would be more than happy to restructure him IF it only cost US $14M vs the current $21M even.

Only 14 million for a guy who produced 3 TDs.  What a bargain!

5 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Only 14 million for a guy who produced 3 TDs.  What a bargain!

altho I agree with the statement  I think there can be other another way of looking at it..what his presence on the field did in helping others to be open and what his clutch catches did in facilitating  scores later in that drive..do we get to the SB  and do we win the SB without his playing? Who knows?? I'll trust Veach/Reid  in figuring that out. 

14 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

altho I agree with the statement  I think there can be other another way of looking at it..what his presence on the field did in helping others to be open and what his clutch catches did in facilitating  scores later in that drive..do we get to the SB  and do we win the SB without his playing? Who knows?? I'll trust Veach/Reid  in figuring that out. 

I’ll say it. We don’t win the Super Bowl without him. The guy is just a different player in the playoffs. I just question his motivation and effort most of the rest of the time. I see him as a luxury item we can’t afford anymore. Sign a stop gap veteran and I think we will get as much production. And give Hardman a bigger role. 
I’ll add I also trust Veach so I’m not complaining about anything he does this season outside of trading Mahomes. 

6 hours ago, Balto said:

I just don't see how Sammy will give up $7M to stay with KC.  $7M is a lot to stay in KC IMO

Well he either takes 14 million a year which even his own agent knows is top dollar or he can chance it in FA and by the time he hits FA most of the money being tossed out now will be gone.   I think 14 million is too much but I also think he has a 14m dollar season left in him, but he's not getting close to 21 million this year.

59 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

We give Mahomes a break about his numbers this year but we don't for Watkins?  I agree OT his play was bigger than just the stats and he came up huge in a couple games we had to have.   With that said, I believe he'll be close to 1000/10 this year if he stays because I think Mahomes will be back 5000 40+ TD's this year.

(That wasn't directed at you but I was piggy backing off your post.  After I posted it, it looked like my first sentence was attacking your post..which it wasn't)

Watkins has 96 yards per game in the playoffs with a total of 1 TD. He made critical plays but not really an indispensable performance. IMO we could easily replace his production by other means while adding multiple pieces with his salary.  

• 2 weeks later...

1 hour ago, Calichief said:

Veach is killing it. Continuity is going to be king.

10 of 11 offensive starters back.

my new needs list ranked-

1. CB - veteran, not draft pick

2. IOL - draft or vet

3, LB

4. IOL 2

5. RB

If Breeland stays, a top CB in the draft is enough.  Should be easy to get a starter at OC and/or OG on the second day.  LB is a huge need for this season and to replace Hitchens.  RB is a luxury since the Chiefs can do with Williams, Williams, and Thompson.  Same with WR or TE.  Pick someone with potential since he wouldn't be critical this season.