36 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Butker was one of KC's best moves.  In the same area, I think it's time to tell Colquit goodbye.  He's not that special any more and a punter can be found as an UDFA or maybe Fox could do the job.  Either would save cap space. 

I’d be ok with replacing Colquit now that he has stayed long enough to be part of a Super Bowl with us.  Can move on and feel good about if you ask me.  

6 hours ago, jetlord said:

Butker was one of KC's best moves.  In the same area, I think it's time to tell Colquit goodbye.  He's not that special any more and a punter can be found as an UDFA or maybe Fox could do the job.  Either would save cap space. 

They find a replacement via draft/FA/Fox and let him leave sometime in the summer IMO. There's a very good chance that he retires unless someone wants to make him a lot richer. 

Regarding Butker, still cannot understand the Panthers logic in that move. The guy has been extremely good from day one and they simply let him sit out in favor of whomever is/was kicking for them. 

8 hours ago, sith13 said:

They find a replacement via draft/FA/Fox and let him leave sometime in the summer IMO. There's a very good chance that he retires unless someone wants to make him a lot richer. 

Regarding Butker, still cannot understand the Panthers logic in that move. The guy has been extremely good from day one and they simply let him sit out in favor of whomever is/was kicking for them. 

Why couldn't Colquit be "encouraged" to retire now and get his salary off the books?  Surely Veach has plans that we can't know about but this just seems like a no brainer.  Kickers can win or lose games several times per year.  Punters are important, but I don't see the drop off between Colquit and a punter on a rookie deal. 

Panthers had a solid veteran kicker in Graham Gano and Butker was barely 22 years old and completely untested. I’m less surprised by what they did than how some of these other desperate teams kept picking up journeyman castoffs while Veach showed vision and found an elite guy. 

21 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Panthers had a solid veteran kicker in Graham Gano and Butker was barely 22 years old and completely untested. I’m less surprised by what they did than how some of these other desperate teams kept picking up journeyman castoffs while Veach showed vision and found an elite guy. 

yeah but why draft the guy then, and then try to sneak a draftable kicker on the practice squad is dumb.

2 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

Forgot all about Gano. Still they probably had a few things in mind to spend a pick on a kicker.

2 hours ago, jetlord said:

Why couldn't Colquit be "encouraged" to retire now and get his salary off the books?  Surely Veach has plans that we can't know about but this just seems like a no brainer.  Kickers can win or lose games several times per year.  Punters are important, but I don't see the drop off between Colquit and a punter on a rookie deal. 

He can already be encouraged to retire but Veach might be waiting on something. May be a bonus, etc that kicks in at some point during the offseason. We save 2 million from Colquitt's departure which is likely our rookie pool but overall Veach seems very idle with little cap space available. May be he's waiting on something specific to actually start the offseason. 

55 minutes ago, sith13 said:

He can already be encouraged to retire but Veach might be waiting on something. May be a bonus, etc that kicks in at some point during the offseason. We save 2 million from Colquitt's departure which is likely our rookie pool but overall Veach seems very idle with little cap space available. May be he's waiting on something specific to actually start the offseason. 

Veah may be waiting on a response from Watkins' agent to an offer they supposedly made at the combine.  If Watkins isn't getting the deal he hoped for from another team, he may renegotiate with the Chiefs.  Probably, the Chiefs are still shopping Jones around.  Playing on the tag isn't good for either side and IIRC, the Clark deal wasn't done until just before the draft. 

5 hours ago, West said:

Butker is Core....Great add.

I am a Colquitt fan but my guess is that Veach is looking at cost saving options for similar output.

Colquitt had a couple of punts blocked this year...not normal.

w

Hard to blame a block on a punter when it is literally a guy who ran up the middle unblocked. His losing leg strength is a bigger issue, but he still has some good bounces that other punters lack to down them deep.

I think the longer this plays out the better leverage we have.   Robby Anderson just got 2/20million.    If we can get Watkins on that kind of deal which is fair for both sides actually more fair for his side to be honest but that cuts 11 million off the cap and we keep a core players.   I look for this to happen since the big money is drying up and teams aren't going to want to pony up a pick and pay that contract.   

30 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

I think the longer this plays out the better leverage we have.   Robby Anderson just got 2/20million.    If we can get Watkins on that kind of deal which is fair for both sides actually more fair for his side to be honest but that cuts 11 million off the cap and we keep a core players.   I look for this to happen since the big money is drying up and teams aren't going to want to pony up a pick and pay that contract.   

That would be great but I can’t see him taking less than 15-16M per season in any restructuring scenario. It’s such a soft WR market with a deep draft I’m not sure what his agent is telling him. But a big pay cut isn’t happening IMO

1 hour ago, Mloe68 said:

That would be great but I can’t see him taking less than 15-16M per season in any restructuring scenario. It’s such a soft WR market with a deep draft I’m not sure what his agent is telling him. But a big pay cut isn’t happening IMO

No one is going to pay him 15 to 16 mil per season. He cant stay healthy enough for a full one even when with us. He either takes a cut or gets released and joins a crappy team that if he can get good money, they would have the cap to pay him. Even then i cant see anything above 12 at the most.

2 hours ago, kkuenn said:

No one is going to pay him 15 to 16 mil per season. He cant stay healthy enough for a full one even when with us. He either takes a cut or gets released and joins a crappy team that if he can get good money, they would have the cap to pay him. Even then i cant see anything above 12 at the most.

After last two seasons double digits don't look realistic for Watkins. The best he can hope for is likely 8-9 per year which would be too rich for most teams as this is supposedly a deep draft class. Battling with injuries and averaging about 50 yards per game doesn't really put a WR in an attractive situation. May be someone takes a chance on him like Veach did but not for that high. 

9 hours ago, kkuenn said:

I’m sure his agent would prefer to have the ability to negotiate with other teams and find out himself. Watkins has made it pretty clear he thinks he’s worth it. This is really.a Justin Houston type situation if he won’t play ball.  I just can’t see him taking any extension here less than that. We will see soon enough. I’d rather move on than pay that if I’m right but Veach loves him. And I trust Brett. 

After last two seasons double digits don't look realistic for Watkins. The best he can hope for is likely 8-9 per year which would be too rich for most teams as this is supposedly a deep draft class. Battling with injuries and averaging about 50 yards per game doesn't really put a WR in an attractive situation. May be someone takes a chance on him like Veach did but not for that high. 

He’s not signing any 8 million dollar per year contract unless it’s a 1 year prove it type deal somewhere. And that’s not possible here. It’s a conundrum because he’s been so lights out  in the playoffs. How many WRs can line up and beat an elite corner like he did with the Super Bowl on the line. Heck his TD catch sealed the AFC title game too. We aren’t the champs without him. And yet at the same time he just flat disappears for long stretches seemingly unmotivated. But talent and production in the big games is undeniable and it shows up on tape.  

If the Chiefs released Watkins and another team signs him for 2/20, Watkins really gets $27 million after the Chiefs guarantee.  For the Chiefs to match, they'd have to pay $13.5/year although the seven million is gone either way.  I think Sammy's agent is testing the market before giving the Chiefs a final chance to renegotiate a matching contract which means they could shave a little off the cap and retain Sammy.  Can't know how that would work out until they know if they're keeping Jones. 

Love Butker, kid is nails.

As for Colquitt, time for him to go IMO. Only punter I'd give serious thought to drafting is Turk, kid is going to be special at the position and his uncle was one of the best. Other than that, I'd strongly prefer to get a UDFA guy. There's probably a solid chance guys like Townsend or Pechin go undrafted and neither would be a bad option.