DeMarcus Robinson resigns

On 3/29/2020 at 12:21 AM, jetlord said:

Maybe draft one?

Sure, a rookie probably won't do much for his first year, but we're talking about a #4 assuming Pringle is worse than Robinson.  At least the rookie might improve.  Robinson has had four years to learn the Reid route system.  How much longer do we need to give him?

He’s.a solid backup contributor who because of the new Veteran Salary benefit  will make 2.3 million but cost is only 1 million vs the CAP. Essentially what a day two draft pick would cost next year.  Plus if you took Robinson’s stats in the quarter season Tyreek was out and extrapolated it out over a season he would’ve had 64 catches, 1,100 yards and 11 TDs. Furthermore not only do we get him dirt cheap but if he continues to improve his odds of getting us a better comp pick improve. This was just an absolute no brainer.  Doesn’t preclude us at all from drafting another corner at a similar spot he was drafted too.  

8 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

He’s.a solid backup contributor who because of the new Veteran Salary benefit  will make 2.3 million but cost is only 1 million vs the CAP. Essentially what a day two draft pick would cost next year.  Plus if you took Robinson’s stats in the quarter season Tyreek was out and extrapolated it out over a season he would’ve had 64 catches, 1,100 yards and 11 TDs. Furthermore not only do we get him dirt cheap but if he continues to improve his odds of getting us a better comp pick improve. This was just an absolute no brainer.  Doesn’t preclude us at all from drafting another corner at a similar spot he was drafted too.  

Maybe even a wr

16 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

Next year's draft won't be the year of the WR either.   Agree, it was a smart move any way you look at it.

1 hour ago, Lamardirts said:

Next year's draft won't be the year of the WR either.   Agree, it was a smart move any way you look at it.

I’m not a Robinson fan either. He just looks like a guy who doesn’t completely get it or something strange for a 4 year vet. But for a million bucks there’s just obvious value. And he does have upside. 

22 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

I’m not a Robinson fan either. He just looks like a guy who doesn’t completely get it or something strange for a 4 year vet. But for a million bucks there’s just obvious value. And he does have upside. 

He's ok.  That's part of the problem.  He's just ok.  That said, he does have his football virtues and the value is there.  Would really like to see us come out of this draft with another good WR or TE though.  Or both.  

I know everybody's blah blah blah IOL, LB, yadda yadda yadda, but we gotta feed the beast and we just won a superbowl with shitty IOL and LBs.  

33 minutes ago, xen said:

He's ok.  That's part of the problem.  He's just ok.  That said, he does have his football virtues and the value is there.  Would really like to see us come out of this draft with another good WR or TE though.  Or both.  

I know everybody's blah blah blah IOL, LB, yadda yadda yadda, but we gotta feed the beast and we just won a superbowl with shitty IOL and LBs.  

TE2 is my number one hope for next season. Another big weapon who can move and catch like the pats had with Gronk and Hernandez. they were unstoppable til psycho went psycho on em 

2 hours ago, xen said:

Yep. Trust your draft board and take the best players period.  

1 hour ago, Chiefmanzada said:

TE2 is my number one hope for next season. Another big weapon who can move and catch like the pats had with Gronk and Hernandez. they were unstoppable til psycho went psycho on em 

Andy Reid loves those multi tight end sets too.  If Watkins does go we need another red zone threat and TE2 could be just as doable as a WR to fill that role.  

30 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Andy Reid loves those multi tight end sets too.  If Watkins does go we need another red zone threat and TE2 could be just as doable as a WR to fill that role.  

I think that is a misconception. I believe those 3 TE sets were Andy's way of creating something because Alex couldn't or wouldn't throw people open.   Why bunch up the field with Mahomes.    

2 hours ago, xen said:

Because if our IOL was better he would have time for the actual plays to develop and you wouldn't need herculian efforts from your wr's to get open in .2 seconds.   I understand you gotta have both and I agree that it would be nice to draft a development wr's with big time upside but ignoring the IOL is gonna get Pat killed or limit the ability of our offense.   Obviously jmo though.

14 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Because if our IOL was better he would have time for the actual plays to develop and you wouldn't need herculian efforts from your wr's to get open in .2 seconds.   I understand you gotta have both and I agree that it would be nice to draft a development wr's with big time upside but ignoring the IOL is gonna get Pat killed or limit the ability of our offense.   Obviously jmo though.

If you're in IOL, you gonna be more pumped to block for Tannehill or Mahomes? 

I believe motivation can drive a below avg lineman to avg. Just depends on who the man is paid to protect. 

None of our IOL made the pro bowl, yet we had no trouble driving the ball in every post-season game. except the Superbowl, which was against one of the best defenses of all time

25 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

I think that is a misconception. I believe those 3 TE sets were Andy's way of creating something because Alex couldn't or wouldn't throw people open.   Why bunch up the field with Mahomes.    

He loves them going all the way back to Mark Chumura and Keith Jackson dominating behind Brett Favre in GB.  With all our our speed at WR, dominating the seams and adding a big body difference maker in the red zone would just give this offense another dimension IMO. 

https://www.nj.com/times-sports/2011/06/philadelphia_eagles_and_andy_r.html

12 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

He loves them going all the way back to Mark Chumura and Keith Jackson dominating behind Brett Favre in GB.  With all our our speed at WR, dominating the seams and adding a big body difference maker in the red zone would just give this offense another dimension IMO. 

So would you take Claypool in the third?

14 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

The original comment was about 3 TE sets and that article states he has been trying to replicate 2 TE set from his time in GB.  That article is almost 10 years old referencing his time in GB which was 13 years before that.  As much power as Andy Reid has, don't you think that if he wanted two stud TE's he would have gotten them sometime in the last 23 years?   The NFL has changed and so has Andy Reid.  While he's always been innovative he doesn't run them as much as people think.   He also hasn't made it a priority since he's been here.   We have spent little to almost nothing outside of Travis Kelce on the position.    Kelce is that seem buster and while I agree adding another talented TE would be helpful I'm just not sold Andy is that concerned with that.  But again that just my opinion lol

On 3/28/2020 at 8:56 PM, xen said:

Gee yeah, a 4th WR who already knows the system, has a rapport with our QB, is good on special teams, has previously had a huge day with in the regular season, and is signing for a vet exception contract that costs us very little. 

You guys are right, in a year that may not have much of an offseason, which puts a premium on guys who already know the system, what a shitty move to have a guy like that who's basically the 6th receiving option.

Tough crowd.

Agree.  He is a possession receiver with speed, the latter of which Conley never was.  He has great hands and is a beast on special teams. He can gain good separation on quick moves, and his route running keeps getting better.  

I was resigned to losing him, but to retain him and only for a million dollars from the cap is a coup by Veach IMO.  With a QB like Mahomes, he can be a #2 if someone gets hurt or as a starting #2 for multiple other teams.

On 3/31/2020 at 7:33 AM, Chiefmanzada said:

If you're in IOL, you gonna be more pumped to block for Tannehill or Mahomes? 

I believe motivation can drive a below avg lineman to avg. Just depends on who the man is paid to protect. 

None of our IOL made the pro bowl, yet we had no trouble driving the ball in every post-season game. except the Superbowl, which was against one of the best defenses of all time

A single mistake by the OL could cost us a season or more (aka Luck). It's all about protecting Mahomes at this point and as he progresses he'll start turning street FAs to pro-bowlers at receiver as long as we keep him healthy. 

I believe we need another TE more than any other skill position on offense but definitely not at the expense of OL.

6 hours ago, sith13 said:

A single mistake by the OL could cost us a season or more (aka Luck). It's all about protecting Mahomes at this point and as he progresses he'll start turning street FAs to pro-bowlers at receiver as long as we keep him healthy. 

I believe we need another TE more than any other skill position on offense but definitely not at the expense of OL.

redundant man it's football

6 hours ago, sith13 said:

How has that worked out for green bay and Rogers? Those street free agent weapons aren't doing him any good

1 hour ago, Palangi said:

How has that worked out for green bay and Rogers? Those street free agent weapons aren't doing him any good

The other way around worked far worse for Luck and the Colts.

I'm not saying to ignore skill positions but OL in front of a star QB has a higher priority than the receivers. 

30 minutes ago, sith13 said:

The other way around worked far worse for Luck and the Colts.

I'm not saying to ignore skill positions but OL in front of a star QB has a higher priority than the receivers. 

Not always.  There are ways to mitigate opposing pass rushers, including shotgun snaps, rollouts, and play design.  Of course, the best method is your all world QB getting the ball out fast to your plethora of good receivers who can beat man and zone coverages, especially press coverage beaters.

As long as the Chiefs have Hardman, Hill, Kelce, and Watkins, a "street receiver" is about all they need.  If Watkins leaves, then Robinson might have some value over a draft choice since he knows the system.  Either way, he's probably gone after this season.  I won't miss him.