Trading Jones Mock

Lamardirts

Trading Chris Jones to Miami for 26 and 70.

Extend Sammy Watkins 2 y/22 m, convert 10m to a bonus and his salery is 2m, 12m, 10m.  14 million guaranteed after we pay the 10m bonus.   Its a 13m hit this year against the cap.

Cut LDT

Sign J. Clowney DE to a 3 year 51m deal.  Spags loves his versatile DE's and now we have two elite ones.

Sign Breeland DB  1/6million 

Sign D. Harrison DL 1/3million

15 million left in cap space for draft and emergency fund.  Pat gets extended next year at like 5/200 with most guaranteed.

Draft 

1. 26) Krisitan Fulton - CB - Patrick Queen and Murray were already gone.

1. 32) Trade back to NYG 36 and 150

2.  36) Zach Baun - OLB

2. 63) Lloyd Cushenberry - C 

3. 70) Justin Madabuike - DL

3. 96) Cameron Dantzler - DB

4. 138) Michael Divinity - LB

5. 150) Matt Bushman - TE

5. 170) Bryan Edwards - WR

Fisher, Rankin, Cushenberry, Wylie, Schwartz     Senat, Remmers, Reiter, Allegretti

Hill, Watkins, Hardman, DRob, Pringle, Edwards 

DWill, DWill, DThom, Sherman, Weber

Kelce, Yelder, Bushman, Lovett

Mahomes Henne

Clowney, Pennell, Nnadi, Clark      Kpass, Saunders, Madabuike, Okafor

Wilson, Hitchens, Baun     Divinity, Harris, Neimann (st)

HB, Thornhill, Sorensen, Watts

Ward, Breeland, Fulton, Dantzler, Felton, Hamilton (st)

Winchester, Colquit, Butker

Lovett and Bushman battle out for 3rd TE and DOD battle with Harris for 3rd backup LB.   

Reiter and Allegretti battle out for the backup C/G position.  I think Allegretti wins but Reiter has experienc which is valuable as a backup.

Why not draft LB at  26 and CB at 36?  Baun probably won't last until 36 and I'm not sure he fits the Spaags scheme as well as Murray.  I see him as an edge rusher more than a block shedding LB. There are several CBs that will last into the second round that will be starters.  I really like the basic premise of trading Jones for a first and then trading down to get the same CB they could have had at 32. 

It’s quite possible Baun is gone but my reasoning is I really like Fulton and I’m not sold on many of the CBs we could get at around 36.   The best case is Queen would fall to 26 but I can’t see that happening in a league where coverage is becoming a premium for a LB.   I’m also not sold that Murray can cover any better than Baun.   Maybe Spas like Harris enough on our roster that the position isn’t as big of a need as we think....have a hard time believing that though as our lb Corp is terrible as is.

6 hours ago, jetlord said:

Murray can't cover better than Baun, but he can plug gaps and go sideline to sideline on running plays.  That's important to Spags from what I can see. 

He would definitely upgrade the athleticism on D.  Could Murray replace Hitchens next year?    That's another thought.  Plug him at Will this year but groom him to take over next year?  

7 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

He would definitely upgrade the athleticism on D.  Could Murray replace Hitchens next year?    That's another thought.  Plug him at Will this year but groom him to take over next year?  

Murray might replace Hitchens, but the Chiefs would have to draft/acquire another LB for 2021.

9 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Murray might replace Hitchens, but the Chiefs would have to draft/acquire another LB for 2021.

Looks like CB and LB are gonna be positions that we will be drafting on the regular the next couple years unless Veach can find some guys in udfa or the FA scrap heap. I would love to see what House could do with some relatively talented LBs though.

1 minute ago, Lamardirts said:

Looks like CB and LB are gonna be positions that we will be drafting on the regular the next couple years unless Veach can find some guys in udfa or the FA scrap heap. I would love to see what House could do with some relatively talented LBs though.

LB, CB, IOL.  The needs haven't changed.  Maybe getting Breeland back would ease some pressure, but he's not the long term answer.  Without a Jones trade, I doubt the Chiefs will come up with one the the top four LBs, but there are second tier guys who would still improve the LB room. 

1 minute ago, jetlord said:

LB, CB, IOL.  The needs haven't changed.  Maybe getting Breeland back would ease some pressure, but he's not the long term answer.  Without a Jones trade, I doubt the Chiefs will come up with one the the top four LBs, but there are second tier guys who would still improve the LB room. 

What are your thoughts on Jones?  I go back and forth but ultimately I think we are better off down the road by trading him and upgrading multiple positions but I won't be upset if they resign him.   Yeah with what we ran out there last year it wouldn't take much to upgrade the unit.  Ben Niemann played way to many snaps last year!

48 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

What are your thoughts on Jones?  I go back and forth but ultimately I think we are better off down the road by trading him and upgrading multiple positions but I won't be upset if they resign him.   Yeah with what we ran out there last year it wouldn't take much to upgrade the unit.  Ben Niemann played way to many snaps last year!

Just my opinion, but I'd trade Jones IF they can get something like a 26-27 and a third or fourth.  That would give the Chiefs four picks in the first three rounds and probably include one of the LBs they so badly need.  How do they replace Jones?  They can't although there are a couple of D-linemen who could be good.  (Gallimore, Blacklock)  The problem with Jones is that signing him long term just ties up too much cap on the D-line.  They have to face other key contracts in the next couple of years so kicking the can down the road is not the answer.  We have no way of knowing what the discussions with Jones are at, but based on what's reported, that Jones and the Chiefs aren't close on a multi-year contract, I'd say trade and move on. 

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

Just my opinion, but I'd trade Jones IF they can get something like a 26-27 and a third or fourth.  That would give the Chiefs four picks in the first three rounds and probably include one of the LBs they so badly need.  How do they replace Jones?  They can't although there are a couple of D-linemen who could be good.  (Gallimore, Blacklock)  The problem with Jones is that signing him long term just ties up too much cap on the D-line.  They have to face other key contracts in the next couple of years so kicking the can down the road is not the answer.  We have no way of knowing what the discussions with Jones are at, but based on what's reported, that Jones and the Chiefs aren't close on a multi-year contract, I'd say trade and move on. 

I don't think Queen or Murray makes it to even pick 26.  A guy like Jeremy Chinn might be there.  Kind of a slightly less of an athletic freak Isaiah Simmons.

14 minutes ago, xen said:

I don't think Queen or Murray makes it to even pick 26.  A guy like Jeremy Chinn might be there.  Kind of a slightly less of an athletic freak Isaiah Simmons.

He could take over Sorensens role for sure.   I wouldn’t mind an elite safety who would drop.  HB is one of the best nickels in the game so we ha e flexibility and it gives Spags some pieces to be creative on the back end.   Thornhill, HB & Chin would be fun

30 minutes ago, xen said:

You're right, but moving ahead of BAL would give them a chance.  Assuming they whiff on both Queen and Murray, I'd hope the Chiefs could move back to around 36-38 and get the CB they need.  Then go second tier LB at 63.  Harrison might be gone, but maybe Logan Wilson or Dye could be picked up.  There's also some lighter guy from a small school who doesn't fit Spag's profile (can't remember his hyphenated name)  that is projected to be a very good cover Will.  He would probably never be a three down backer nor could he replace Hitchens.

3 minutes ago, jetlord said:

You're right, but moving ahead of BAL would give them a chance.  Assuming they whiff on both Queen and Murray, I'd hope the Chiefs could move back to around 36-38 and get the CB they need.  Then go second tier LB at 63.  Harrison might be gone, but maybe Logan Wilson or Dye could be picked up.  There's also some lighter guy from a small school who doesn't fit Spag's profile (can't remember his hyphenated name)  that is projected to be a very good cover Will.  He would probably never be a three down backer nor could he replace Hitchens.

Akeem Davis Gaither?