Watkins reworks terms for last year of contract

1 hour ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

From what I understand that carried over, and that's why we only get 5 mill in cap relief from this move.

ok but  the $7mil and+ the 9 Mil base ='s  $16 mil..or could this deal..Incentives being met =  $23 Mil? which is more than he'd of gotten all things staying the same. I 'm no capologist to be sure and never played one on TV but if it got us $5 Mil  I'm all for it I just hope it does not bite us in the rear  next year IF he lights it up and plays the entire season.

8 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

ok but  the $7mil and+ the 9 Mil base ='s  $16 mil..or could this dea..Incentives being met =  $23 Mil? which is more than he'd of gotten all things staying the same. I 'm no capologist to be sure and never played one on TV but if it got us $5 Mil  I'm all for it I just hope it does not bite us in the rear  next year IF he lights it up and plays the entire season.

I gave up hope Sammy plays an entire year. Last year the reports were he looked better and felt better than ever yet still disappeared in the regular season. I'm not saying he is not a difference maker on the field, especially the playoffs, but I don't think he will ever play an entire season again. Color me skeptical  

So it is a 9 million dollar deal ( 7 was the guarantee for the year any ways) and incentives up to 16 mil. Before he was scheduled to make 21 million

21 -16 is 5 in total savings

It will probably be more as i doubt he hits all incentives. Curious as to what they are but i bet being healthy and able to play in 15 or 16 games is one of the big ones. 

Chiefs WR Sammy Watkins' new deal includes $7M in incentives, no-trade clause

5:47 AM MT
  • ESPN

Wide receiver Sammy Watkins is staying with the Kansas City Chiefsafter agreeing to restructure his contract, a source confirmed to ESPN.

The source said Watkins' new deal has a maximum value of $16 million, including $7 million in incentives, and contains a no-trade clause.

The move creates $5 million in salary-cap space for the Chiefs, according to Yahoo Sports, which first reported the restructured contract.

The Super Bowl champions were down to $171 in cap space prior to the new agreement.

Watkins acknowledged the move on Twitter on Friday morning, writing"Im back KC LETS GET IT..! #RUNITBACKTOUR"

The move keeps the Chiefs' top four receivers from 2019 -- Watkins, Tyreek Hill, Demarcus Robinsonand Mecole Hardman -- together for next season. Kansas City signed Robinson to a one-year contract last month.

Watkins, 26, has been mainly a third receiving option for the Chiefs, and other than the occasional big game -- most notably a 198-yard, three-touchdown showing against the Jacksonville Jaguars in the 2019 regular-season opener -- he hasn't produced a lot for Kansas City in two seasons. He has caught 92 passes for six touchdowns in 24 regular-season games.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28990233/chiefs-wr-sammy-watkins-restructure-includes-7m-incentives-no-trade-clause

Obviously its more than he's probably worth to most teams but considering all that is going on right now and shortened offseason.  This was a great signing.  Also it puts us in a position to net a comp pick next year when he hits FA.   I for one think he's going to light it up this year.   He stayed healthy for the most part this year and dominated in the playoffs.  He knows the system and with DRob back we only need to upgrade that IOL and our O is better than last year.   

16 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Obviously its more than he's probably worth to most teams but considering all that is going on right now and shortened offseason.  This was a great signing.  Also it puts us in a position to net a comp pick next year when he hits FA.   I for one think he's going to light it up this year.   He stayed healthy for the most part this year and dominated in the playoffs.  He knows the system and with DRob back we only need to upgrade that IOL and our O is better than last year.   

Allows us to draft a WR(s) to learn it this year and be able to produce next year when him and Drob are gone possibly. 

17 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

and we have a winner!!!!

52 minutes ago, sith13 said:

So we have 16 million cap hit in 2020 and could end up with 7 million for 2021. I doubt those are easy incentives but doesn't look like a good job by Veach if you ask me or he has an immediate plan for that 5 million cap space. 

How can there be dead money on a contract that doesnt exist? Hes an unrestricted free agent next year. Or is it the incentives that would be paid next year?

Besides that, our cap situation improves going forward. Why would the carry over be problematic in your opinion? Not to mention the cap likely going up again next year.

1 hour ago, sith13 said:

So we have 16 million cap hit in 2020 and could end up with 7 million for 2021. I doubt those are easy incentives but doesn't look like a good job by Veach if you ask me or he has an immediate plan for that 5 million cap space. 

We only move earned incentives that are designated as unlikely to be earned incentives to next years cap.  Considered he hit none of those benchmarks in 2019, it's a good bet.  And if he hits them it means he had a great year for us and stayed mostly healthy.

25 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

How can there be dead money on a contract that doesnt exist? Hes an unrestricted free agent next year. Or is it the incentives that would be paid next year?

Besides that, our cap situation improves going forward. Why would the carry over be problematic in your opinion? Not to mention the cap likely going up again next year.

The incentives during the season will be reflected on the next year as the best case scenario, some might hit this year but I doubt there are any easy incentives of that sort as that would beat the purpose of creating cap space.

Not sure how the cap will turn out to be in 2021 but with Watkins' guarantees all over in his current deal I would expect Veach to come up with something more team-friendly. If he thought Watkins had more value in FA then a trade could have been a good option.

5 minutes ago, xen said:

We only move earned incentives that are designated as unlikely to be earned incentives to next years cap.  Considered he hit none of those benchmarks in 2019, it's a good bet.  And if he hits them it means he had a great year for us and stayed mostly healthy.

That's most likely the case but I was expecting something more team-friendly. 9 million that could go up to 16 isn't really a discount from a guy who played well 3 games in the past season.