Watkins reworks terms for last year of contract

I know it's tough to think of us tying up a ton of money in Chris Jones but man we have to keep him.  If we don't have him or any kind of adequate replacement, our CB play will suffer.  It's the reason why our secondary looked decent because of the pass rush up the middle.  He's earned it, back load it so if he tails off we can cut him but give him money considering if there is a season the teams with the best chemistry will already have a jump on everyone with limited practices and camp.

7 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

Bowe and LJ are both third on the Chiefs All Time rushing and receiving list by the way. Both within 100 yards of number two all time.  Anthony Hancock and Sylvester Morris however would like their due attention. 
Reality is when your the World Champs drafting 32nd  all bets are off. Just take the BPA period or trade back. No question corner would be the priority though. 

Bowe definitely had the numbers, 3 1K seasons but sucked whenever it was clutch. LJ was simply a product of the OL IMO. Once we started losing guys he went down to averaging 2-3 yards per carry. Charles would have probably broken a few NFL records if he played exactly in LJ's timeline. 

#32 also has the value of being a 1st round pick. Even moving up a single spot is worth something for any team that's hoping to invest a couple years on a high reward guy. I'm guessing a trade back to early 2nd is always on the table. 

5 hours ago, soonerborn77 said:

Hands also thinks that not having a single TD in the first three quarters of both playoff games isn't a choke job by the offense 🤣

Well there's not much an offense can do if it's built like a one-man HS lineup. Playoff defenses won't let that QB live. 

33 minutes ago, sith13 said:

Bowe definitely had the numbers, 3 1K seasons but sucked whenever it was clutch. LJ was simply a product of the OL IMO. Once we started losing guys he went down to averaging 2-3 yards per carry. Charles would have probably broken a few NFL records if he played exactly in LJ's timeline. 

#32 also has the value of being a 1st round pick. Even moving up a single spot is worth something for any team that's hoping to invest a couple years on a high reward guy. I'm guessing a trade back to early 2nd is always on the table. 

LJ was an absolute beast for two years and Herm Edwards simply rode his back and wore him out to get that 2006 team to the playoffs.
He certainly produced up to his draft status as the third leading rusher in KC history. But like most RBs who carry the ball 750 times in a 2 year period, he hit a wall fast. 
Much like WR, you had better references at RB like Ethan Horton, Paul Palmer, Greg Hill or Harvey Williams. But again none were drafted by an organization as good as we are now. 

After winning a SB it makes me realize how pathetic our team has been for the last 2 decades minus a couple DV years and even those were so ridiculously lopsided.    I can't stand the Pats but its really incredible considering the last 2 decades they've been to the SB almost 50% of the time.   I hope our organization can prioritize the right guys and keep the cupboards stocked for this Mahomes run.    Good thing I guess is if they screw up this Jones deal then we  can more than likely get out of it after 3 years easily in the time frame of Mahomes prime.  

As for LJ, he was talented but when you work a back like a rented mule to the tune of 750 carries in 2 years then he's gonna break down real fast.  

If there's anything to learn from Belichick and the Patriots, it's that you trade guys like Chris Jones. You get value when it is at its highest and you restock the cupboard. Draft picks and middle-tier free agents except for in what he viewed the most important positions: primarily QB, OL, and CB. Even OL he wasn't necessarily that big on keeping on 2nd contracts until recently. Throw the ball + stop the other team from throwing the ball = Super Bowls. 

19 hours ago, kccrow said:

If there's anything to learn from Belichick and the Patriots, it's that you trade guys like Chris Jones. You get value when it is at its highest and you restock the cupboard. Draft picks and middle-tier free agents except for in what he viewed the most important positions: primarily QB, OL, and CB. Even OL he wasn't necessarily that big on keeping on 2nd contracts until recently. Throw the ball + stop the other team from throwing the ball = Super Bowls. 

Agree 100%.  If the Chiefs can find a buyer, they can solve the immediate cap problem, sign Breeland, and get a starter out of the draft along with another third or fourth round pick.  Way too many teams fall in love with their current players and pay for it. 

12 hours ago, jetlord said:

Agree 10%.  If the Chiefs can find a buyer, they can solve the immediate cap problem, sign Breeland, and get a starter out of the draft along with another third or fourth round pick.  Way too many teams fall in love with their current players and pay for it. 

Isn't agreeing only 10% really closer to disagreeing?

19 hours ago, kccrow said:

Long term success. 

1 hour ago, xen said:

If we want to learn from Belichick the relevant lessons are 1) have the best QB who regularly gets paid less than going rate and 2) give him something to work with.

I think, also, do those X's and O's like a monster and focus on what your guys CAN do instead of forcing square pegs into round holes (a.k.a. "The Bob Sutton").  But I agree that the "get rid of guys two years early" thing is a bit overrated.

1 hour ago, Adamixoye said:

I think, also, do those X's and O's like a monster and focus on what your guys CAN do instead of forcing square pegs into round holes (a.k.a. "The Bob Sutton").  But I agree that the "get rid of guys two years early" thing is a bit overrated.

Also work every rules loophole you can find.

2 hours ago, Calichief said:

So good when Vrbel did it to him.. 

How mad he got...that made me smile.   I'm really interested to see what happens with both of them (Brady and BB).  Their legacies are both tied to each other and I think they both want to prove to the world that they were the bigger part of the other persons legacy.  I think BB is a great coach but he's gonna struggle to produce anything other than a playoff team each year without a good qb and I think he's gonna figure out that its not that easy to get FA's who want to play there knowing they aren't even close to being favorites regardless of how great a coach he is.    Their culture is so business like the only reason it was enjoyable there was because they were in the SB 50% of the time with that gone I'm curious how long players will tolerate him being so smug all the time.   

3 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

How mad he got...that made me smile.   I'm really interested to see what happens with both of them (Brady and BB).  Their legacies are both tied to each other and I think they both want to prove to the world that they were the bigger part of the other persons legacy.  I think BB is a great coach but he's gonna struggle to produce anything other than a playoff team each year without a good qb and I think he's gonna figure out that its not that easy to get FA's who want to play there knowing they aren't even close to being favorites regardless of how great a coach he is.    Their culture is so business like the only reason it was enjoyable there was because they were in the SB 50% of the time with that gone I'm curious how long players will tolerate him being so smug all the time.   

BB. It's basically Reid's pre-Mahomes career. I think that would be considered very successful for BB. Everybody knows that the duo of BB + Brady attracted FAs for cheap and without those FAs pouring into town consistently getting to playoffs would be good for The combined success allowed them to make great business choices but it won't be as easy now and BB might start learning to pay his own guys to retain a decent squad. 

6 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

Supposedly, they are going forward with Stidham.  I don't buy it.  Rumors say that Tua is going to fall.  That the media is more in love with him than the league is.  Miami and LAC covet Herbert.  And the bolts could value Love more than Tua and would be willing to let him sit behind Taylor for a year of two if Miami takes Herbert.  That would leave the door open for Belichick to make a move up for Tua.

Who knows.  That's why I love the draft.

On 4/7/2020 at 8:12 AM, soonerborn77 said:

I know it's tough to think of us tying up a ton of money in Chris Jones but man we have to keep him.  If we don't have him or any kind of adequate replacement, our CB play will suffer.  It's the reason why our secondary looked decent because of the pass rush up the middle.  He's earned it, back load it so if he tails off we can cut him but give him money considering if there is a season the teams with the best chemistry will already have a jump on everyone with limited practices and camp.

Yep. Clark will also be doubled and the other end position is average at best.