Theoretical question

Watching Japan try and start their baseball season only to have 3 players test positive for the virus forcing the league back into suspension makes me believe this scenario might become more than theoretical.  Without enough tests that yield almost instant results it’s Impossible to get any sports league going. 

2 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

Will the league start if all they can do is televise the games?  Owners would take a huge hit in that scenario.

Yes. TV money is massive and they’d never walk away from that. 

It’s about the only reason we may have football.  Can you imagine it being okay to have 75,000 in the close quarters of a stadium anytime this year? 

3 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

Yes. TV money is massive and they’d never walk away from that. 

It’s about the only reason we may have football.  Can you imagine it being okay to have 75,000 in the close quarters of a stadium anytime this year? 

Nope.  And maybe never again.

3 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:
48 minutes ago, SEMO said:

Nope.  And maybe never again.

This is nothing new and like all the other pandemics will end and sports with full stadiums will return. Just not anytime soon. 

Vaccine is a year+ out.  I don’t see a season happening next year.  Not with full stadiums anyway.

52 minutes ago, SEMO said:

Vaccine is a year+ out.  I don’t see a season happening next year.  Not with full stadiums anyway.

It’s true even fast tracking vaccine we are looking at 18 months. As such I’d say the 2021 season offers real hope for a normal season with fans.  Fortunately well before that there are things that can be done to get teams playing again and a semblance of normal life back with social distancing continuing to be the norm for quite some time.  It’s very far fetched to believe it possible this year. But i do think playing to mostly empty stadiums could be possible. 

36 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

It’s true even fast tracking vaccine we are looking at 18 months. As such I’d say the 2021 season offers real hope for a normal season with fans.  Fortunately well before that there are things that can be done to get teams playing again and a semblance of normal life back with social distancing continuing to be the norm for quite some time.  It’s very far fetched to believe it possible this year. But i do think playing to mostly empty stadiums could be possible. 

It will suck for the defenses.  Trying to tackle from 6 feet away.

26 minutes ago, SEMO said:

It will suck for the defenses.  Trying to tackle from 6 feet away.

Fortunately that we won’t be necessary with readily available testing that yields fast results. As it stands today it’s impossible to play any sport without quarantining the entire team all the time. But this is something you can almost expect to see over the next 6 months. 

53-man rosters won't cut it under these circumstances. NFL would have to increase the roster size quite a bit, creating more cost to the teams. TV revenue won't suffer, in fact it'll likely go up but with the loss of stadium revenues I don't think NFL will be able to operate with so much loss. May be the owners decide to go ahead and cover the added costs themselves but that is a very slim possibility. 

sooner or later the people will demand this quarantine stuff come to an end

money is the issue... it will become more important than the risk when half the country stops making house payments

if they try to shitcan college football just for one year, it will wreck all college sports... football is the lifeblood of college athletics

if they shitcan pro football, it's not just the franchises that get hurt... there's a hell of a lot of ancillary businesses who thrive because of the NFL... from airlines to hospitality to maintenance what have you

Americans won't sit still for much more than 4 more weeks