lf mock something.something

liquidfriend

2.  Clyde Edwards-Helaire, RB  LSU

A natural fit in this Offense as a tough runner with great receiving skills.  CEH and Williams can take care of business.

The Bucs move up ahead to grab some quality protection up front for Grandpa Brady.  The Bucs send the Chiefs 45, 117 and a 2021 3rd rounder to the Chiefs for 32.

2.  Bryce Hall, CB  Virginia

Veach is going to add a CB early to protect against the possibility of Breeland not returning.

3.  Troy Dye, LB  Oregon

Would be a first rounder if he were about 30 pounds heavier.  Being lighter isn't a big deal for Spagnuolo.

4.  Raekwon Davis,  DT  Alabama

Somebody that's projected to go early is going to fall, and I think Davis will fall.  Veach picks him up in hopes that Daly can get some great value.

4.  Khalid Kareem, DE  Notre Dame

They will need to add something on the edge at some point.  The depth was pushed to its limit last season and they lost Ogbah and Suggs.  Just don't think Speaks is best on the edge.

5  Van Jefferson, WR  Florida

I think Jefferson would be a quality add on Special Teams. 

22 minutes ago, xen said:

I'm not so sure that's not more fan and media created.  Not sure Andy sees it the same way.

It's hard to believe he doesn't.  We saw so many examples of Mahomes flushed from the pocket and so many more of failure of the run game up the middle that weakness of the interior line would seem obvious. 

16 hours ago, jetlord said:

Did you intend to ignore the pressing need for IOL?

It's not really a "pressing" need in my opinion. I think it's a spot to upgrade but at least you have players remotely capable of starting in all positions. I think CB and WLB are much more pressing at this juncture. There is a lack of depth at LB and DE, especially beyond 2020. RB and WR beyond 2020 is cause for concern as well. I think, as a GM, you have to look at this year and next year in the context of where in the draft and what positions you select. I'm all in favor of adding an offensive lineman because I would like to see Pat better protected, but I fully understand if that doesn't happen and certainly don't expect it to.

54 minutes ago, kccrow said:

It's not really a "pressing" need in my opinion. I think it's a spot to upgrade but at least you have players remotely capable of starting in all positions. I think CB and WLB are much more pressing at this juncture. There is a lack of depth at LB and DE, especially beyond 2020. RB and WR beyond 2020 is cause for concern as well. I think, as a GM, you have to look at this year and next year in the context of where in the draft and what positions you select. I'm all in favor of adding an offensive lineman because I would like to see Pat better protected, but I fully understand if that doesn't happen and certainly don't expect it to.

My feeling, and it differs in every draft, is that one can get a starter at OC or OG in the third round most years.  Reiter could be replaced by Cushenbury it he's there in the third.  Hunt could be an instant starter at OG and LDT released after 6/1 for a $6 million cap saving IIRC.  Sure, the Chiefs could limp through with the present line but if they address CB and LB with the first two picks, an interior lineman makes sense in the third.  I'm having a tough time with mocks because of two major variables, whether they keep Jones and whether they sign Breeland.  Either would change priorities although a top CB is a priority either way. 

On 4/6/2020 at 5:48 PM, jetlord said:

My feeling, and it differs in every draft, is that one can get a starter at OC or OG in the third round most years.  Reiter could be replaced by Cushenbury it he's there in the third.  Hunt could be an instant starter at OG and LDT released after 6/1 for a $6 million cap saving IIRC.  Sure, the Chiefs could limp through with the present line but if they address CB and LB with the first two picks, an interior lineman makes sense in the third.  I'm having a tough time with mocks because of two major variables, whether they keep Jones and whether they sign Breeland.  Either would change priorities although a top CB is a priority either way. 

Cushenbury possibly is the first Center taken in the draft.

I don't think they are in a hurry to replace Reiter who had a strong playoff run and I don't think Ldt is getting replaced just yet.  Could they take someone for LG?  Possibly, but they do have some options already on the roster.

This isn't my final mock, just something I put together if they were to trade down (which I don't think they will).

Cushenberry I have much lower on my list of interior OL due to scheme fit.  Doesn't have the 2nd level movement skills Andy likes, so I have Ruiz, Hunt and Hennessy over him.  Muti as well if the medicals checked out.  But yeah, I think he has a decent shot to be the first center taken, but for our scheme I would start feeling comfortable in the 3rd, but he should be gone by then.  Fyi there are some pretty good interior oline scheme fits that should be available on day 3

2 hours ago, xen said:

Cushenberry I have much lower on my list of interior OL due to scheme fit.  Doesn't have the 2nd level movement skills Andy likes, so I have Ruiz, Hunt and Hennessy over him.  Muti as well if the medicals checked out.  But yeah, I think he has a decent shot to be the first center taken, but for our scheme I would start feeling comfortable in the 3rd, but he should be gone by then.  Fyi there are some pretty good interior oline scheme fits that should be available on day 3

I'd like Hunt, but he wouldn't be playing OC and Allegretti has been groomed of OG rother than center according to some reports.  Muti is a walking medical ward.  Maybe with better guard play, Reiter will look better.  I still thing the Chiefs should grab a center to replace him. 

4 hours ago, xen said:

I would rather they corner in 1.  Ruiz and Hennessey may not be there at 63, though, so if they want a center it may have to be at 32 unless they trade down.  

Also, with the lack of turnover on the roster, I could see Veach trading up if there is a player he covets.   

37 minutes ago, SEMO said:

I would rather they corner in 1.  Ruiz and Hennessey may not be there at 63, though, so if they want a center it may have to be at 32 unless they trade down.  

Also, with the lack of turnover on the roster, I could see Veach trading up if there is a player he covets.   

Nick Harris may not be the most talented or athletic of the bunch but he is an outstanding technician and fits our offense quite well. 

And I think he could be had in rd 3 without us moving. 

Personally I'm more interested in Allegretti being the future there and them finding a RG so we can cut LDT.

On 4/6/2020 at 4:47 PM, kccrow said:

You honestly believe there's a chance we come out of this draft without drafting an offensive lineman? I would literally put the odds of that happening  at less than 5%. It is a pressing need. This interior will get Pat hurt eventually.

If it happened that would mean the last 3 drafts our investment on the offensive line would be a 6th rounder on a converted defensive lineman in Khalil McKenzie and a 7th rounder on Allegretti. 

In the last 6 years the Chiefs have used a pick in the first 3 rounds on an offensive lineman 1 time with Morse.  Thats why our line has been subpar as long as it has.

13 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Nick Harris may not be the most talented or athletic of the bunch but he is an outstanding technician and fits our offense quite well. 

And I think he could be had in rd 3 without us moving. 

Personally I'm more interested in Allegretti being the future there and them finding a RG so we can cut LDT.

Nick Harris is a great fit for our offense and is probably there in the 3rd considering all the gap/power schemes will not have him on their board.  Probably only a zone lineman but luckily that's us.  Bartch is another day 3 guy who fits the profile and would need to move inside.  May take a year to transition though.

1 hour ago, SEMO said:

The Chiefs don't have to get IOL in the first round to get a potential starter.  Morse, Allen, Hudson were all second day picks IIRC.