2020 surprises

Let's talk chiefs football here.  Who are some surprises we could see this year that are on the team already? I'll give you 2 of mine one on offense and one on defense. 

Darwin Thompson- I think he becomes a bigger part of the offense this year.  In fact he could be the Alvin Kamora type for us.  Let damien pound away and then Thompson comes in for big plays.  He's an explosive and strong player.  

Darius Harris- there was a lot of chatter about him last offseason.  Then we stashed him on IR. He is a big physical LB than runs Well and has good length. I don't think he starts this year but I think he shows out and shows he has a future here. 

Also watch for Fortson,  Lovette,  Ward,  Allegretti, 

I will go with Seals Jones on offense. Not in that he will make a pro bowl, but I think he can be a really dangerous TE2 that teams are going to ignore all year. 

On defense I also think Harris could take Hitchens job at some point. He is everything Hitchens isnt. Has fantastic instincts and a nose for the ball.

Completely disagree about Thompson. I think he is a total jag, and the number of backs we met with during the offseason tells me the want a Hunt bellcow again. I'd be extremely pleased if we drafted a rookie that ended up so good that Thompson didnt make the team.

10 minutes ago, Palangi said:

Let's talk chiefs football here.  Who are some surprises we could see this year that are on the team already? I'll give you 2 of mine one on offense and one on defense. 

Darwin Thompson- I think he becomes a bigger part of the offense this year.  In fact he could be the Alvin Kamora type for us.  Let damien pound away and then Thompson comes in for big plays.  He's an explosive and strong player.  

Darius Harris- there was a lot of chatter about him last offseason.  Then we stashed him on IR. He is a big physical LB than runs Well and has good length. I don't think he starts this year but I think he shows out and shows he has a future here. 

Also watch for Fortson,  Lovette,  Ward,  Allegretti, 

I think the funniest thing about you starting this thread is you actually argued with me a couple months ago when I said you had higher expectations for late round picks, practice squad guys, and bottom of roster types than any fan I've ever met.

Thompson, Allegretti, Harris, Fortson, Lovette, Ward. 6th rounder, 7th rounder, UDFA, UDFA, UDFA, UDFA. 

Although Ward is a stud...

18 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I think the funniest thing about you starting this thread is you actually argued with me a couple months ago when I said you had higher expectations for late round picks, practice squad guys, and bottom of roster types than any fan I've ever met.

Thompson, Allegretti, Harris, Fortson, Lovette, Ward. 6th rounder, 7th rounder, UDFA, UDFA, UDFA, UDFA. 

Although Ward is a stud...

You're right... im sorry... just trying to bring up football talk.  And about guys we don't discuss much

17 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Allegretti on offense.  Kpass on defense.  Yeah, Kpass played last year, but I think he could become the answer for playing opposite Clark.  Still has upside.

I was thinking of Allegretti for offense.  I thunk he could end up being our starting center

51 minutes ago, Biggjliv4 said:

I'd like to see Speaks show up in shape and contribute something this year, but I'm not very optimistic 

Daly did an incredible job coaching up the role type players on that Dline. Speaks has talent and I think if he takes his offseason conditioning seriously can make a Tanoh type jump.  We see a ton of second year players often progress quite a bit in year two. Unfortunately this is another group of players that really have an uphill battle without any offseason.  

I'm thinking Speaks on defense. He was a high pick but somewhat overlooked by missing an entire season. Probably a good time to get his mind at the right place and come back strong. I also think Fenton will be a decent rotational guy from day one but he showed a lot of promise to end last season so don't know if he counts as a surprise.

On offense I'm high on Thompson at RB and Seal-Jones at TE. Both have good upside and due to having solid starters in front of them can only be decent rotational guys. I'm hoping Hardman makes a big splash to cement himself as the #3 WR and possibly move up the depth chart early on. We need him to take care of the #2 WR need for 2021.

One guy that may get more time is LB Ben  Niemann. He was in the game for SF's last two or three offensive drives of the SB. Two of the most important drives in this teams history and he was in the game when Hitchens was not. Albeit, they were clearly gonna pass the ball during those drives. But, i think that says a lot.

18 minutes ago, ClarksvilleChief said:

One guy that may get more time is LB Ben  Niemann. He was in the game for SF's last two or three offensive drives of the SB. Two of the most important drives in this teams history and he was in the game when Hitchens was not. Albeit, they were clearly gonna pass the ball during those drives. But, i think that says a lot.

as much as I really really like him I think he's a bit light in the pants 

Darwin can play.  He spent last year learning, but I would expect play share to increase this year whether y'all like it or not.  If we're looking at RBs it's likely to add to the committee, and would mean the end of Damien after this year, not Darwin.  

7 hours ago, oldtimer said:

so awful the Chiefs played him on the last two drives in the most  important game in 50 years... gotcha

Eye test. Grades. Whatever you use to guage him... The dude sucks. The fact that they'd rather have him on the field in sub packages than Ragland or Hitchens means zero to me. 

We have arguably the worst LB corps in football. Its like picking out the least smelly turd.

32 minutes ago, xen said:

Darwin can play.  He spent last year learning, but I would expect play share to increase this year whether y'all like it or not.  If we're looking at RBs it's likely to add to the committee, and would mean the end of Damien after this year, not Darwin.  

Then I would expect our running game to remain pedestrian. He may be able to do everything at an acceptable level but I don't see much of anything he can do at an exceptional level. Yeah he has good contact balance.

He doesn't appear fast, elusive, etc.  Dude really looks like a guy who should get about 5 snaps a game.

1 hour ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Eye test. Grades. Whatever you use to guage him... The dude sucks. The fact that they'd rather have him on the field in sub packages than Ragland or Hitchens means zero to me. 

We have arguably the worst LB corps in football. Its like picking out the least smelly turd.

well be sure to tell that to Spags.. I'm sure he's waiting on your call

3 hours ago, xen said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/04/08/chiefs-signing-deandre-washington-to-one-year-deal/

This would seem a little redundant if they liked Thompson that much wouldn't it? Or is he a camp body?

"With Jacobs missing three of the Raiders' final four games with a fractured shoulder, Washington assumed the role of bell-cow back and had a combined 334 yards of offense and two touchdowns in those three games (rushing for 215 yards and those two scores on 54 carries and catching 16 passes for 119 yards).

He was especially impressive in a Week 16 victory at the Los Angeles Chargers, carrying the ball 23 times for 85 yards (the second-highest single-game total of his career)."

1 hour ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/04/08/chiefs-signing-deandre-washington-to-one-year-deal/

This would seem a little redundant if they liked Thompson that much wouldn't it? Or is he a camp body?

"With Jacobs missing three of the Raiders' final four games with a fractured shoulder, Washington assumed the role of bell-cow back and had a combined 334 yards of offense and two touchdowns in those three games (rushing for 215 yards and those two scores on 54 carries and catching 16 passes for 119 yards).

He was especially impressive in a Week 16 victory at the Los Angeles Chargers, carrying the ball 23 times for 85 yards (the second-highest single-game total of his career)."

Who knows.  Andy usually likes a big offseason RB room and competition is a good thing.