2020 surprises

5 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

My surprise for 2020.  Travis Kelce starts his decline.  Nothing horrible, but he starts to lose a step. 

I think that starts to happen in 2021, but it would be nice to start grooming a guy that could give him a breather every now and then.  Save some tread maybe.

26 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

I think that starts to happen in 2021, but it would be nice to start grooming a guy that could give him a breather every now and then.  Save some tread maybe.

There was an article I read on this. Will have to see if i can find it.

https://fansided.com/2020/04/13/kansas-city-chiefs-bold-predictions-patrick-mahomes-super-bowl/4/

Travis Kelce will start to decline as Chiefs

Kelce is a match-up nightmare at tight end that causes a ton of problems for opposing defensive coordinators. He led the Chiefs in catches and receiving yards last season with 97 and 1,229 respectively. Look for both totals to decrease in 2020.

This does not mean Kelce is going to suddenly become an average tight end. He’ll still be elite at the position for several more seasons. However, it’s foolish to ignore the reality that he’s now playing in his 30s. His best days are behind him from an athletic perspective.

Fortunately, the myriad of weapons surrounding Kelce in the receiving corps will allow him to continue to produce at a high level even when age starts to erode his skills. The sheer speed of guys like Sammy Watkins and Mecole Hardman make it really difficult to double team Kelce on a consistent basis. He’s still got more than enough juice to win a high percentage of one-on-one battles.

If you look at his game closely in 2020 you’re going to see a receiver who doesn’t have quite as much burst down the seam as he did during his prime. Kelce’s decline will be subtle, but they will start to appear this season.

2 hours ago, reesebobby said:

My surprise for 2020.  Travis Kelce starts his decline.  Nothing horrible, but he starts to lose a step. 

I could see RSJ with his receiving ability from the TE position helping to take some pressure and snaps off of Kelce to keep him fresh, especially for the late season and playoff run.  I think RSJ is going to be a matchup nightmare who will finally have a QB that can utilize his ability.

31 minutes ago, soonerborn77 said:

I could see RSJ with his receiving ability from the TE position helping to take some pressure and snaps off of Kelce to keep him fresh, especially for the late season and playoff run.  I think RSJ is going to be a matchup nightmare who will finally have a QB that can utilize his ability.

Just need to see and if so, sign for a long term deal. Mahomes can really help with this and other FAs wanting to come to play with him and for Reid. I hope for a huge season for Mahomes this year, and healthy too. Maybe push for the single season yard record?

2 hours ago, kkuenn said:

Just need to see and if so, sign for a long term deal. Mahomes can really help with this and other FAs wanting to come to play with him and for Reid. I hope for a huge season for Mahomes this year, and healthy too. Maybe push for the single season yard record?

I wouldn't put anything past Mahomes, but it seems to me the most likely outcome would be that 2018 will end up being his statistical peak for TD and yardage volume.  As our defense is better he won't need to light it up, plus he has done more "take what the defense gives you," makes more plays with his feet, and it's unlikely we'll have the same level of weapons throughout his career.  Even as he gets better and more efficient I don't know if it will translate to more volume production.  For fully healthy seasons I foresee a lot of 4500 and 35 or so, maybe once or twice more in his career will he will challenge 50 and maybe a handful of times will he challenge 5000.

2 hours ago, Adamixoye said:

I wouldn't put anything past Mahomes, but it seems to me the most likely outcome would be that 2018 will end up being his statistical peak for TD and yardage volume.  As our defense is better he won't need to light it up, plus he has done more "take what the defense gives you," makes more plays with his feet, and it's unlikely we'll have the same level of weapons throughout his career.  Even as he gets better and more efficient I don't know if it will translate to more volume production.  For fully healthy seasons I foresee a lot of 4500 and 35 or so, maybe once or twice more in his career will he will challenge 50 and maybe a handful of times will he challenge 5000.

It will indeed kind of take a perfect storm scenario to get back to 5,000 and 50. But I do think it’s conceivable he will get it done again. But either way i think he was clearly a better QB in 2019 with a lot less production. So production alone shouldn’t be the barometer of how each season is measured against each other.  He didn’t peak in year one no matter what the historic numbers say. Not even close. 

15 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

It will indeed kind of take a perfect storm scenario to get back to 5,000 and 50. But I do think it’s conceivable he will get it done again. But either way i think he was clearly a better QB in 2019 with a lot less production. So production alone shouldn’t be the barometer of how each season is measured against each other.  He didn’t peak in year one no matter what the historic numbers say. Not even close. 

Yeah I was already kind of saying that.

All this depends on if we sign or trade Chris Jones.  If we trade him we might need to go back to scoring 40.   Winning in the NFL on the defensive side of the ball starts and ends with pressure.   Without Jones we aren't nearly as proficient in that area.   Clark gets doubled and I'm not sure anyone else on our Dline can carry the load.  

On 4/16/2020 at 10:12 AM, reesebobby said:

If you're already afraid of going to a game in 8 months then the virus already killed you. 

Might have, but this shit is real, and I want to see my kids grow up, so I am going to take it serious until there is a vaccine.  You live your life, I'll live mine!

On 4/16/2020 at 10:12 AM, reesebobby said:

If you're already afraid of going to a game in 8 months then the virus already killed you. 

I’d go if it’s open to the public. I think it’s very possible I came back from Miami with the virus. Well worth it as miserable as I was for a week. 
But I’m very skeptical without a major medical breakthrough we will have fans at games until around the 2021 season. The way the virus exploded in two European cities from one soccer game in Italy was flat scary.