What picks from Miami would you want for Jones?

30 minutes ago, jetlord said:

The main reason for trading Jones is to get value while shedding salary.  Trades that involve getting vet players don't have all the benefits of shedding salary.  Thus the need to trade for picks. 

Thats fine but you need to replace as much of his production as you can.  Geno would cost about $11M and is still a elite DT that should last another 3 years for us.  William Jackson had one of the best years ever as a CB before injuries hit.  He is suppose to be fully healthy and could be a HUGE upgrade for us

41 minutes ago, jetlord said:

The main reason for trading Jones is to get value while shedding salary.  Trades that involve getting vet players don't have all the benefits of shedding salary.  Thus the need to trade for picks. 

I agree with this guy i have no interest in trading jones for an older player with a big salary. Either keep jones another year and let him walk or trade for cheap draft picks

3 hours ago, Balto said:

Thats fine but you need to replace as much of his production as you can.  Geno would cost about $11M and is still a elite DT that should last another 3 years for us.  William Jackson had one of the best years ever as a CB before injuries hit.  He is suppose to be fully healthy and could be a HUGE upgrade for us

So if Jones is traded, can't the Chiefs use the resulting draft pick to get a first round DT plus other picks?  Blacklock isn't certain to replace Jones, but he's a first round talent with potential who would be playing for one or two million per year vs. 16.1 to 21 million for Jones.  There's just no way the Chiefs can pay two D-linemen $20 million each and sign Mahomes for $40 million.  They can cobble together some contracts for this season, but sooner or later the bill will come due and Kelce, Schwartz, and other pillars of the team will want to be paid or leave.  Only way to avoid the problem is to shed players for draft picks while the players have high value.  

7 hours ago, jetlord said:

So if Jones is traded, can't the Chiefs use the resulting draft pick to get a first round DT plus other picks?  Blacklock isn't certain to replace Jones, but he's a first round talent with potential who would be playing for one or two million per year vs. 16.1 to 21 million for Jones.  There's just no way the Chiefs can pay two D-linemen $20 million each and sign Mahomes for $40 million.  They can cobble together some contracts for this season, but sooner or later the bill will come due and Kelce, Schwartz, and other pillars of the team will want to be paid or leave.  Only way to avoid the problem is to shed players for draft picks while the players have high value.  

Chiefs are at that stage where we can't pay everyone. The question remains simply watching a few players leave to bring in comp. pick or trading them prior to paying. I hate to see Jones as the odd man out as DL is very critical but as the current contracts stand he seems to be the primary candidate to leave as we've already paid a lot of guys. 

No one has mentioned #1.26 + 2.39.

These two picks are actually more value than #18+#70

Maybe Miami likes this better because they can still get a quality OT at #18 while waiting till #26 could be slim pickings.

OR

#26 this year + 2021 1st rounder, they have two 1st next year so this would not hurt them that bad.

OR my favorite....

#18+#26+2021 1st

for

Jones+Fisher

They have TONS of cap and can get a seasoned OT in Fisher to protect the rookie QB plus getting Jones of course.

I’ve flopped back to keeping Jones.   His contract will be big but  our defense was more than fine with crap at LB and a very meh DB group and Thornhill injured.   Why?  Because we generated pressure and losing that pocket collapsing presence exposes every level behind it.  Frank isn’t as good, the LBs get expose in coverage along with DBs.  I would love the haul we could get but he is the cog that makes it work.  Pay him, draft guys that our incredible staff can coach up and fill holes with guys on FA that want a ring or a prove it year.  We can actually be a good bit better next year on both sides of the ball with at least one upgrade on the IOL and with an athletic WLB, drafted DB and Thornhill coming back.  

With that said I’ll probably flop back to trade him by next week.

6 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

I’ve flopped back to keeping Jones.   His contract will be big but  our defense was more than fine with crap at LB and a very meh DB group and Thornhill injured.   Why?  Because we generated pressure and losing that pocket collapsing presence exposes every level behind it.  Frank isn’t as good, the LBs get expose in coverage along with DBs.  I would love the haul we could get but he is the cog that makes it work.  Pay him, draft guys that our incredible staff can coach up and fill holes with guys on FA that want a ring or a prove it year.  We can actually be a good bit better next year on both sides of the ball with at least one upgrade on the IOL and with an athletic WLB, drafted DB and Thornhill coming back.  

Win back to back and i can see a tag and trade of Jones next year. FAs will come big time for a good chance to win it all and see the multiple ring potential.

3 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

We have gone through a lot of Ryan SIms, Junior Siavii, Tank Tyler, Turk McBride, Tyson Jackson, Glenn Dorsey and Dontari Poe types trying to find someone like Chris Jones.  I hate the idea of finally getting one and then letting them go at 25 years of age. 

3 hours ago, reesebobby said:

We have gone through a lot of Ryan SIms, Junior Siavii, Tank Tyler, Turk McBride, Tyson Jackson, Glenn Dorsey and Dontari Poe types trying to find someone like Chris Jones.  I hate the idea of finally getting one and then letting them go at 25 years of age. 

This is almost as bad of a list as our QBs, although it slowly gets better toward the end.  Jones is what Poe was supposed to be (slightly different styles, but still).

3 hours ago, kkuenn said:

Win back to back and i can see a tag and trade of Jones next year. FAs will come big time for a good chance to win it all and see the multiple ring potential.

It would be interesting to see some data on how much discount a FA will give to play on a winner.  I'm sure most would rather play for the Chiefs than, say, Detroit unless they're from that area, but will they take a big cut to do it?  Playoff money isn't a big factor to the multi-millionaires so how much is a ring and bragging rights worth to today's players?

Just now, jetlord said:

It would be interesting to see some data on how much discount a FA will give to play on a winner.  I'm sure most would rather play for the Chiefs than, say, Detroit unless they're from that area, but will they take a big cut to do it?  Playoff money isn't a big factor to the multi-millionaires so how much is a ring and bragging rights worth to today's players?

Well it is worth it for a lot of them. See how the Pats would do with vet signings. Also it seems our environment under Reid seems to be what players love too.

15 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

This is almost as bad of a list as our QBs, although it slowly gets better toward the end.  Jones is what Poe was supposed to be (slightly different styles, but still).

Our quarterbacks sucked, but partly because we never spent any high picks on them.  Sims, Dorsey and Jackson were all top 6 picks in round 1. Poe was #11.  Siavii, McBride round 2.  That's a lot of draft capital for what we got. 

23 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Ring is critical in 30s for a post-playing career but definitely not that much early on except for  guy that actually can't get the big money and wants to be in the spotlight via playoffs on a short term deal. 

I doubt a young big name FA would really take a paycut though. May be a million or two of a huge deal but that's it. 

8 hours ago, reesebobby said:

We have a quarterback worth protecting too.  What's the plan for that?  Draft a left tackle?

Just heard on the radio today that a good source has Miami going back and fourth on QB or OT at #5 because they are 100% sold on Tua’s health or Herbert overall.

So giving them Jones+Fisher and taking 18+26+2021 1st gives them the ability to take that QB at #5 while still getting their DT and OT

to answer your question....Yes I’d draft one and sign a guy like Peters until the rookie is dry.  Yes Peters is about done but still had a better season than Fisher and can hold down LT for a few games until rookie is ready and then Peters can be our swing for the rest of the season.

#1.18:  Murray or Queen for our LB

#1.26:  Cleveland, OT

1.32:  Best CB/OG/OC on board or maybe send this pick to Cards for Peterson

plus have two 1st next year to replace even more players!

7 minutes ago, Balto said:

Just heard on the radio today that a good source has Miami going back and fourth on QB or OT at #5 because they are 100% sold on Tua’s health or Herbert overall.

So giving them Jones+Fisher and taking 18+26+2021 1st gives them the ability to take that QB at #5 while still getting their DT and OT

to answer your question....Yes I’d draft one and sign a guy like Peters until the rookie is dry.  Yes Peters is about done but still had a better season than Fisher and can hold down LT for a few games until rookie is ready and then Peters can be our swing for the rest of the season.

This is honestly fun for you?

24 minutes ago, Balto said:

Trust me

I hold back about 90% of trade/offseason idea so I don't get the ban stick

Remember trading and getting picks in all the first round picks? That was fun for me and i believe where you started your trade posts.

55 minutes ago, Balto said:

If I didn't know better, I'd think you don't like Fisher much.  😉