Props to Clark Hunt

3 minutes ago, DieHard said:

Ford is little and brittle.

My biggest concern wasn’t the offsides. It was because he was unable to make an impact. Didn’t he finish that game with no tackles and no sacks and no QB hits?

Yep. The trifecta of shittieness

3 minutes ago, DieHard said:

Ford is little and brittle.

My biggest concern wasn’t the offsides. It was because he was unable to make an impact. Didn’t he finish that game with no tackles and no sacks and no QB hits?

Correct.  Played 84% of the defensive snaps, no stats.

In 6 playoff games in KC, total of 1.5 sacks.  Had 1 sack in 3 playoff games with 9ers (in their first playoff game)

Frank Clark had 5 sacks in our 3 playoff games for those keeping score at home.

6 hours ago, azchief21 said:

I admit I doubted Veach for a little while. Needless to say I'm sold now. Super Bowl Fuc%&$g Champions.

It’s not like he’s perfect. Hitchens signing and then extending is a head scratcher.  But he’s aggressive when he needs to be and has shown this year he can also be patient. Even through mistakes his overall approach just seems poised to translate into multiple legit title shots over the next 5-7 years.  

10 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

It’s not like he’s perfect. Hitchens signing and then extending is a head scratcher.  But he’s aggressive when he needs to be and has shown this year he can also be patient. Even through mistakes his overall approach just seems poised to translate into multiple legit title shots over the next 5-7 years.  

Every GM makes mistakes and Veach did few of those as well. As you mentioned his positives seem to outweigh the negatives which is a nice change for us after the last few decades. 

1 hour ago, kkuenn said:

Could have been worse. At least he allowed candy wrappers.

I heard an interview with Fesco and Pioli a couple of months ago. He shows some real regret and remorse. He said he knew no other way than to be private and strict. Hence, his previous mentor.. I believed him. He exhibited major regret. 
too bad, he really could evaluate talent. 

good interview if you can find it 

1 hour ago, Calichief said:

I heard an interview with Fesco and Pioli a couple of months ago. He shows some real regret and remorse. He said he knew no other way than to be private and strict. Hence, his previous mentor.. I believed him. He exhibited major regret. 
too bad, he really could evaluate talent. 

good interview if you can find it 

I won't give his talent evaluation that high of a grade - he had some home runs but a lot of misses, too.  Obviously #7 being at the top of the list.

However, the overall point I think is one worth considering.  As fans we receive very caricatured perspectives on people.  The idea that Pioli was some unreasonable monster going around looking for candy wrappers was never the real story.  Heck, up to a point I agree with the idea behind the story, that sometimes you have an organizational culture where you let the little things go and no one takes responsibility.

It seems like a lot of the people from the Belichick tree really learned the wrong lessons from working for Bill and try to replicate what he did by imitation instead of taking what works while discarding what doesn't and learning and growing and blazing their own path.  I would believe Pioli was one of those people - too strict, trying to replicate "the Patriot way," etc. - and that he's probably learned at least something from his mistakes.  To me the real mystery is why he ever hired Haley.  Seems like a horrible match from the beginning, the uptight GM with the loose cannon HC.

10 hours ago, Adamixoye said:

I won't give his talent evaluation that high of a grade - he had some home runs but a lot of misses, too.  Obviously #7 being at the top of the list.

However, the overall point I think is one worth considering.  As fans we receive very caricatured perspectives on people.  The idea that Pioli was some unreasonable monster going around looking for candy wrappers was never the real story.  Heck, up to a point I agree with the idea behind the story, that sometimes you have an organizational culture where you let the little things go and no one takes responsibility.

It seems like a lot of the people from the Belichick tree really learned the wrong lessons from working for Bill and try to replicate what he did by imitation instead of taking what works while discarding what doesn't and learning and growing and blazing their own path.  I would believe Pioli was one of those people - too strict, trying to replicate "the Patriot way," etc. - and that he's probably learned at least something from his mistakes.  To me the real mystery is why he ever hired Haley.  Seems like a horrible match from the beginning, the uptight GM with the loose cannon HC.

I think we see now that unless you have a great HC and great QB the Patriot Way doesn't work.   Players will put up with that knit picky crap if there is results.   When the results aren't worth all that other crap then you accountability and respect.  There was a reason why Peyton went to Denver over KC and it wasn't because their roster was way more talented.   Pioli brought all the knit picky crap with him but hired an idiot for a coach and brought in a bad qb.  Not gonna blame him much for Cassell because he looked the part but whiffing on the two most important pieces is counterproductive to everything else.  

Next go around we get Andy Reid (great coach) and with no other options open we got the best qb we could that would allow Reid to change culture and get players to buy in.  Alex wasn't great but he was good enough.   Glad he learned a lesson or is/was remorseful but I'm so glad he is gone.  Those were some dark dark days.