Jamaal Holdout?

I heard Jeff Chadia talking about  this subject on 810 radio. Evidently ESPN is doing a piece on him for mid October and then this.... interesting

Jeff said holding out was not "jamal's style"  but being that he is 40% of the offense he is grossly underpaid. JC probably has 2 years left in him if we are lucky and do not get him some relief ASAP!

pay the man

looks like Houston & Smith are just going to have to wait & eat cake.

I understand where he is coming from but, I wouldn't do it unless it's reasonable. He's several seasons in and already missed a season due to injury. You can find running backs.

He was used pretty judiciously early in his career and he DID miss a season.  There may be more miles on the tires left than you think.

Pay the man.  6yrs/$55M, $16M signing bonus.  Bubble payment in year 4.  At that time you convert 12M in salary to signing bonus or you cut ties.  The key part being his year one cap hit is only a little more than his current one.    

Year Bonus Salary Cap

1 4.00 1.50 5.50

2 4.00 4.25 8.25

3 4.00 5.75 9.75

4 4.00 12.00 16.00

5 0.00 7.50 7.50

6 0.00 8.00 8.00

Chiefs are in a tough spot right now. In the next 2 years we need new deals for

Alex Smith, Jamaal Charles, Donald Stephenson, Tamba Hali, Derrick Johnson, Eric Berry, Justin Houston, and Dontari Poe.

The cap is set to go up, so we may be alright, but I can almost guarantee you we are going to lose some of these guys, it sucks, but it is the nature of the beast. 

Alex Smith, Jamaal Charles, Donald Stephenson, Tamba Hali, Derrick Johnson, Eric Berry, Justin Houston, and Dontari Poe.

The cap is set to go up, so we may be alright, but I can almost guarantee you we are going to lose some of these guys, it sucks, but it is the nature of the beast. 

We can lose Don Stephenson.  He's a backup swing tackle at best, unless there's dramatic improvement.

Smith is a top 15 QB, but you have to over pay for him.

Charles should be the highest paid RB for the next 2 years and then he is done. Incentive based extension maybe?

Stephenson should be cheap to resign.

Hali is gone next year.

DJ: Play out his deal and let him walk.

Berry: Not worth top tier money. Reasonable deal or let him walk.

Houston: Top 5 OLB and young. Pay him top 5 money. You can't let him leave town. Core player for the future.

Poe: If he continues to develop and doesn't disappear in the second half of this season, pay him top 5 money. He is too young and too good to leave town. Core player for the future.

Eric Berry is a top tier safety. Odd that the only folks that think he isn't are Chiefs fans. I suspect its because they expect Ed Reed numbers from a SS.

He's in the discussion of top safeties in all the league period. Strong or free..

Eric Berry is a top tier safety.  Odd that the only folks that think he isn't are Chiefs fans.  I suspect its because they expect Ed Reed numbers from a SS. 

I'm with you. He's the best SS in the league and the leader of our defense. Re-signing him is priority #1 in my book.

mongo..

Donald Stephenson is the best o lineman on the team...at the moment..

So?  He's not good.  That just speaks to how bad this OL looks.  We all expect Eric Fisher to surpass him sooner than later.  If not KC really has problems.

PS:  I'd say Rodney Hudson is better, but not by much.

Chiefs signed RB Jamaal Charles to a two-year, $18.1 million contract extension through 2017.

So much for that holdout. Charles is now the second-highest paid running back in the league behind Adrian Peterson and is locked up through his age-31 campaign. On his previous deal, Charles was scheduled to make $3.9 million in salary and bonuses this season. He'll now make $8.3 million in 2014. It's well deserved after Charles put the Chiefs' offense on his back and carried them to the playoffs in 2013. Charles is entering his age-28 season. He's a locked-in top-three fantasy back, along with Peterson and LeSean McCoy.

Eric Berry is a top tier safety. Odd that the only folks that think he isn't are Chiefs fans. I suspect its because they expect Ed Reed numbers from a SS.

Granted it has something to do with how he is used, but for tackles, INTs, PDs... The numbers just aren't there. If wish they were, but they aren't.

Chiefs signed RB Jamaal Charles to a two-year, $18.1 million contract extension through 2017.

So much for that holdout. Charles is now the second-highest paid running back in the league behind Adrian Peterson and is locked up through his age-31 campaign. On his previous deal, Charles was scheduled to make $3.9 million in salary and bonuses this season. He'll now make $8.3 million in 2014. It's well deserved after Charles put the Chiefs' offense on his back and carried them to the playoffs in 2013. Charles is entering his age-28 season. He's a locked-in top-three fantasy back, along with Peterson and LeSean McCoy.

Good for him.

Archived