Who goes before the draft to create cap space?

The obvious answer is Jones gets traded.  But what if he doesn't?  I guess any of the guys could renegotiate a contract.   Freeing up 5 million by cutting players would be tougher.  LDT would get close.   Damien Wilson would get close.    Sorenson and Colquit together would do it.   That's the only options i see.

4 minutes ago, beltranfan said:

The obvious answer is Jones gets traded.  But what if he doesn't?  I guess any of the guys could renegotiate a contract.   Freeing up 5 million by cutting players would be tougher.  LDT would get close.   Damien Wilson would get close.    Sorenson and Colquit together would do it.   That's the only options i see.

Jones could also be extended to easily create all the needed CAP room. Kelce also could be extended to handle most of it. 

No need to create space as the draft itself doesn't sign a contract with rookies. We'll have time to worry about the cap but I'm pretty sure Veach would send certain guys for any offer and some for the right offer prior to the draft. 

4 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

Do we have to clear space before the draft or before we sign them to contracts?

Draft picks are assigned a tender value and charged to your cap after you pick them.  I believe the charge goes on the next day.  After you sign them to contracts the tender number is replaced by the actual amount.  So we'll have to make some sort of move, but as balto said there's many ways to do that.

10 minutes ago, xen said:

Draft picks are assigned a tender value and charged to your cap after you pick them.  I believe the charge goes on the next day.  After you sign them to contracts the tender number is replaced by the actual amount.  So we'll have to make some sort of move, but as balto said there's many ways to do that.

With the top 51 rule only the picks from first 4 rounds count towards the cap and with us picking so late it should be something like 1.5-2 million at most. With the vet minimum going up in the new CBA there might not even be a cap for the 4th round pick as well. We should already have on the roster, if not it won't really be a matter of a serious move.

13 minutes ago, sith13 said:

With the top 51 rule only the picks from first 4 rounds count towards the cap and with us picking so late it should be something like 1.5-2 million at most. With the vet minimum going up in the new CBA there might not even be a cap for the 4th round pick as well. We should already have on the roster, if not it won't really be a matter of a serious move.

Yes top 51 rules apply.  We'll have to do something before the draft but honestly it's not a huge deal.   We have enough younger guys we like that extending someone should be pretty easy.  Tyreek, Schwartz and Kelce seem obvious candidates.  

2 hours ago, Palangi said:

Austin Reiter could get cut too

I wish. Only way I see it happening is if they went C in the first 2 rounds. Ruin and Hennessy are probably the 2 fits there. Cushenberry is much more suited to a powers sheme. 

Honestly those might be the only three that grade out in the first 2 rounds and Hennessy may even be a stretch there.

Personally I'd be fine with Ruiz at 32 and having him snap to Pat the next 10 years, but people in here would lose their shit. They all think that we need to wait until round 4 or 5 to draft an interior guy, despite the fact that not investing there in recent drafts is the very reason our interior line sucks.

5 hours ago, xen said:

You're probably right, but I read somewhere that the cap hit didn't occur until the draftees actually had some team activity, probably rookie camp.  With activities shut down for now, maybe that give Veach some breathing room until after the 6/1 cuts. 

2 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Personally I'd be fine with Ruiz at 32 and having him snap to Pat the next 10 years, but people in here would lose their shit. They all think that we need to wait until round 4 or 5 to draft an interior guy, despite the fact that not investing there in recent drafts is the very reason our interior line sucks.

Not everyone, although there's probably IOL value in both the second and third.  What would cause me to lose it would be drafting a RB at #32 like a few talking heads have projected.   I don't understand why the Chiefs would keep Colquitt.  He's not that special any more and an UDFA can punt it 40+ yards average for a lot less money.  Since the Chiefs have lost Fuller and Lucas, they won't release Sorenson unless they draft a safety.  

7 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I wish. Only way I see it happening is if they went C in the first 2 rounds. Ruin and Hennessy are probably the 2 fits there. Cushenberry is much more suited to a powers sheme. 

Honestly those might be the only three that grade out in the first 2 rounds and Hennessy may even be a stretch there.

We have drafted our last 2 centers in the 2nd round when we did draft one. Pick 32 is as close to 2nd round as you will get. Even better if he trades down imo and gets his guy plus picks up more picks.

5 hours ago, xen said:

Yes top 51 rules apply.  We'll have to do something before the draft but honestly it's not a huge deal.   We have enough younger guys we like that extending someone should be pretty easy.  Tyreek, Schwartz and Kelce seem obvious candidates.  

I'm pretty sure Kelce won't be playing with a non-guaranteed 8-million base salary in 2020. With only just over 3 million in guarantees he'll likely getting a new deal in summer once the outlook for the new season is set. 

40 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

We have drafted our last 2 centers in the 2nd round when we did draft one. Pick 32 is as close to 2nd round as you will get. Even better if he trades down imo and gets his guy plus picks up more picks.

Getting a pick or two in the process would be awesome. With the Breeland signing basically the biggest upgrades to the roster can come with a LB or interior OL which can generally be had with early 2nd unless an unexpected guy falls. 

7 hours ago, sith13 said:

Not only that, but those top players also push someone out of the top-51.

We should only need about $2.2 m to sign draft picks as it stands. 

1 hour ago, kkuenn said:

Yep. Hudson and Morse. Both studs. You'd think that would tell them something. But they continue going with late round guys and UDFAs to protect their franchise player in recent years.

KC appears all in for another WIN it Now Season. Resigning Watkins and Breeland is a clear indication. I see KC keeping Jones and releasing Tardiff. Tardiff played below AVG per PFF. Reid seems to get the best out of oline guys so should not be difficult to replace the doctor.

6 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Yep. Hudson and Morse. Both studs. You'd think that would tell them something. But they continue going with late round guys and UDFAs to protect their franchise player in recent years.

I would be just as excited with Ruiz at 32 as I would be with Fulton or just about any other player.   Just adding him, getting Rankin back and sliding Wylie back to RG where he looked better should really help this O really shine next year.

10 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Reiter simply fooled everyone with the small sample size. Veach and Reid are probably more aware of the situation than we are and won't be repeating the same mistake this year. Ever since the previous CBA there's no such thing as reaching for a stud player and if they find our OC for the next decade I'm sure Veach will pull the trigger regardless of the pick. 

5 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

I would be just as excited with Ruiz at 32 as I would be with Fulton or just about any other player.   Just adding him, getting Rankin back and sliding Wylie back to RG where he looked better should really help this O really shine next year.

With Erving and Wis gone, getting only Remmer to add to the line means the Chiefs have to expect a usable IOL from the draft.  Trading #32 for #38 and an early fourth makes sense and should net a good OG.  (Robert Hunt, anyone?)