Who goes before the draft to create cap space?

2 hours ago, kkuenn said:

I am watching and waiting on Osemele. Bring him in and see how he is health wise. I think he would take a shot for a ring. Be a good 1 to 2 year guy and upgrade at G. Draft center and continue to develop Rankins and/Allegretti for depth and RG?

Baltimore has kicked around the idea of bringing him back. He is a power guy anyway.  I just can't see him at his age being a guy who is super effective pulling.

6 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Baltimore has kicked around the idea of bringing him back. He is a power guy anyway.  I just can't see him at his age being a guy who is super effective pulling.

Dude is only 30. You're talking like he is a senior citizen already

1 hour ago, beltranfan said:

I've heard Petro saying we need about 5 million i cap space before we can make our picks.   I haven't fact checked that.

The cap space situation obviously won’t stay this way, because the Chiefs need around $5 million in order to pay their selections in the 2020 NFL draft.  

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2020/03/30/kansas-city-chiefs-salary-cap-space-update-177-dollars/

6 hours ago, beltranfan said:

I've heard Petro saying we need about 5 million i cap space before we can make our picks.   I haven't fact checked that.

I doubt that's the case. He's probably talking about the money to be paid to the rookies but we won't even need that much of a cap space. Unless the new CBA introduced some new rules for the rookies the numbers would look much better for the Chiefs.

Going with numbers on overthecap the 51 cut-off is set at 712K with Allegreti with 5 new guys coming to the mix. In 2019 the added cap hit would be:

#32 - 1.1 million (1.8 total cap hit).

#63 - 120K (839K cap hit)

#96 - 0 (700K cap hit)

#138 - 0 (617K cap hit) 

#178 - 0 (543K cap hit)

So by last year we would have 1.2 million cap hit with rookies after they signed their contracts, basically our entire rookie pool. The number will go up by 100K-200K to 1.5 million at most. The selections are guaranteed a specific amount during selection but that's much lower than the actual cap hit. If we don't trade Jones for a high pick we'll probably need less than a million in cap space prior to the draft as we only have 2 players that will actually have any cap hit for 2020.