Ole Pete King

9 hours ago, sith13 said:

The funny part is that the only thing standing in our way seems to be the fact that we brought nearly everyone back. Hopefully that won't be the case with LDT and Reiter by TC which should take care of the whole thing. 

This won't be a popular statement, but the Chiefs are going to miss Ragland.  They may find a cheap replacement in the draft that can do more, but Reggie made some plays in the run defense.  Ogbah and Fuller, along with Wis also were good fill ins.  Sure, other teams lost much more, but this team has to make a few adjustments. 

42 minutes ago, jetlord said:

This won't be a popular statement, but the Chiefs are going to miss Ragland.  They may find a cheap replacement in the draft that can do more, but Reggie made some plays in the run defense.  Ogbah and Fuller, along with Wis also were good fill ins.  Sure, other teams lost much more, but this team has to make a few adjustments. 

I'm not really sure about Ragland, he was good at times but never consistent and looked like much easier to replace than most. Wis was a great addition and fit well, definitely hurts to see him leave on a cheap 2-year deal with us hanging on to LDT for a lot more money. 

Ogbah will be very critical. Kpass did very well as a rotational guy but Ogbah did much more. I'm hoping Speaks comes back to set the edge opposite to Clark and actually do what we drafted him for. If not we'll definitely miss Ogbah. 

Fuller was a very good piece but definitely overpaid in the FA market. I'm not sure if Fenton can replace him right away but we definitely need to invest in the position via the draft. 

We seem to have less picks than the major needs so we'll have to strike gold in the draft while finding some FA gems like Wis going forward. 

The Chiefs need one instant starter and two quick potential starters from the draft.  That's asking a lot when they're drafting at the end of each round.  They need a starter at LB and the top four will probably be gone by #35.  They need top replacements in the O-line and at CB.  Signing Breeland got them off the instant starter need, but they need one for next year and possibly this season.  Grabbing a starting quality OG or OC would help in two ways.  One, it would improve the line and two, it would allow the Chiefs to make a 6/1 cut for cap space. 

2 hours ago, sith13 said:

I'm not really sure about Ragland, he was good at times but never consistent and looked like much easier to replace than most. Wis was a great addition and fit well, definitely hurts to see him leave on a cheap 2-year deal with us hanging on to LDT for a lot more money. 

Ogbah will be very critical. Kpass did very well as a rotational guy but Ogbah did much more. I'm hoping Speaks comes back to set the edge opposite to Clark and actually do what we drafted him for. If not we'll definitely miss Ogbah. 

Fuller was a very good piece but definitely overpaid in the FA market. I'm not sure if Fenton can replace him right away but we definitely need to invest in the position via the draft. 

We seem to have less picks than the major needs so we'll have to strike gold in the draft while finding some FA gems like Wis going forward. 

Okafor is coming back to be the end opposite of Clark.  And he is very strong and stout in the run game.  We are fine without ogah.  Kpass wil have another year in thr system and will continue to develop.  And we have a guy in Tim Ward whip the franchise is very high on that eas on IR last year. Basically a red shirt year his rookie year. 

3 hours ago, jetlord said:

Thornhill will make the plays fuller did. Okafor for ogbah. Rankins for wis.. 

plus guys like watts, speaks, and DOD will get their chance now.

2 hours ago, sith13 said:

What do you mean Fenton can't replace him right away.  He did last year when Fuller was out with injury.  

And he showed a lot. 

20 minutes ago, Palangi said:

What do you mean Fenton can't replace him right away.  He did last year when Fuller was out with injury.  

And he showed a lot. 

Yeah we need a WILL and that's it as far as starters go. And we could roll with O'Daniel or Niemann there if we absolutely had to.

We will have some holes to fill after next season, but should have more picks and more cap space then as well. As of right now the only "major need" is a starting weakside linebacker. I don't know what the hell he's talking about, but I seldom do with his posts. 

He also said that "it didn't look like a good job by Veach", when he reworked Watkins deal, so I usually take most of what he says with a grain of salt.

59 minutes ago, Palangi said:

And he showed a lot. 

Fuller played both the slot as well as the outside at times. So far Fenton didn't play at that level but definitely showed some promise. Not saying that he won't be able to replace Fuller but too small of a sample size to consider it a sure thing yet. We could always end up with another Reiter or Marcus Cooper situation. I'm confident Fenton will be a solid CB over time though, hopefully as early as 2020 but could need another year to develop. 

4 hours ago, jetlord said:

We can literally pull a LB that can stop the run but can't defend the pass out of our collective asses.  Rags is the very definition of a replacement level player.  

4 hours ago, sith13 said:

The Chiefs were 9-0 without Ogbah by the way and clearly played their best defense of the season without him. Okafor was the starter anyway and will remain that way with Tanoh and Speaks as rotational guys.  We are in good shape there. 

2 hours ago, jetlord said:

The Chiefs need one instant starter and two quick potential starters from the draft.  That's asking a lot when they're drafting at the end of each round.  They need a starter at LB and the top four will probably be gone by #35.  They need top replacements in the O-line and at CB.  Signing Breeland got them off the instant starter need, but they need one for next year and possibly this season.  Grabbing a starting quality OG or OC would help in two ways.  One, it would improve the line and two, it would allow the Chiefs to make a 6/1 cut for cap space. 

Asking any rookie to be a quick contributor outside of special teams with no offseason is asking for trouble. I would think our early draft picks would have a small defined role that simplifies the learning curve.  

I feel like fenton outplayed fuller at slot and cb this year, however fuller did play very well at safety.

we are fine at d end barring no injuries, but we were incredibly deep at end this year. Really be nice to add another ogbah type player for depth on the cheap. Maybe that means suggs is back or someone like olivier vernon if he gets cut

1 hour ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

I feel like fenton outplayed fuller at slot and cb this year, however fuller did play very well at safety.

we are fine at d end barring no injuries, but we were incredibly deep at end this year. Really be nice to add another ogbah type player for depth on the cheap. Maybe that means suggs is back or someone like olivier vernon if he gets cut

People forget thornhill is coming back. Fenton was a baller. The secondary is fine for another year. Its a strength. 

9 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

The Chiefs were 9-0 without Ogbah by the way and clearly played their best defense of the season without him. Okafor was the starter anyway and will remain that way with Tanoh and Speaks as rotational guys.  We are in good shape there. 

Okafor was pretty good to begin with that's for sure but I think Ogbah kept excelling as the season went on. I hope Okafor and Speaks come back as expected so we won't suffer. As things currently stand we definitely don't need to invest in the position.

3 hours ago, sith13 said:

Okafor was pretty good to begin with that's for sure but I think Ogbah kept excelling as the season went on. I hope Okafor and Speaks come back as expected so we won't suffer. As things currently stand we definitely don't need to invest in the position.

What will Speaks be? A DE or a DT at this point?

19 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

What will Speaks be? A DE or a DT at this point?

Very good question :) 

Came in as a DE/OLB but put up some weight last offseason (at least looked like it). He's still listed at 285 and DE on the chiefs.com so I'm guessing that's where he'll end up but also supposedly strong enough to penetrate up the middle at DT. On paper he's a prototypical Spags' DE but I guess we'll have to wait until the camp for him. 

I think KC is deep and quite talented.

Okafor and Speaks are quality replacements.

Thornhill is going to turn into a Pro Bowl Safety.

Fenton was quite impressive in the Playoffs and the Super Bowl.  The kid hustles, is not intimidated by the Big Stage and will absolutely light your ass up.

He delivered punishing hits. 

I think we can safely say that Veach is on of the best GM's in the NFL.  His eye for talent is amazing.

w

7 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

what I find ironic is that after years of people on this Board bagging on PK because of love affairs with Brady, Elway, et all, he picks the Chiefs to repeat and all of a sudden he's the Oracle.....

I like PK. Loved to read his Monday morning QB back in the day.

Was on a hike last night with my Chiefs hat on. Passed a guy totally decked out in Pats gear...hat, shirt, sweats. I casually swiped across my Chiefs logo and he said "Oh wow you got one" and I said "2 and we're just getting started" It's gotta suck to be on the downslide and watching Mahomes for the next 10 years.