Tyler Newsome signs with Chiefs

1 minute ago, oldtimer said:

have signed free agent punter Tyler Newsome.

I realize I'm probably late on this too but I'd think that means Dustin is history

I hope so. He was really mediocre last year. Way too many chances to pin people back and he had weak punts. Having said that, they had Fox in camp last year and Colquitt beat him out.

From what I've read ( because they signed him a week ago 😂😂) this kid has a hell of a leg but is really inconsistent with directional stuff.

1 minute ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I hope so. He was really mediocre last year. Way too many chances to pin people back and he had weak punts. Having said that, they had Fox in camp last year and Colquitt beat him out.

From what I've read ( because they signed him a week ago 😂😂) this kid has a hell of a leg but is really inconsistent with directional stuff.

I'LL NEVER EARN THE NICKNAME "SCOOP" LOL

3 hours ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

Colquitt blasts a few too many punts into the end zone for my tastes. Never understood the fascination with trying to pin the other team at the 1 vs safely trying to down it or kick it ob around the 10

Whatever happened to the coffin corner kick?  Are punters afraid their average length will go down if they don't kick it to the goal line a pray that someone downs it? 

4 hours ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

Colquitt blasts a few too many punts into the end zone for my tastes. Never understood the fascination with trying to pin the other team at the 1 vs safely trying to down it or kick it ob around the 10

He is one of the top punters of all time in kicks downed inside the 20. Year in and out.

This is the time of the year where teams stack up on every position with FAs so I'm not sure if Newsome will be our punter in 2020 or simply a camp body. He seems to have a decent college career for Notre Dame. 

I was expecting them to bring in the guy we had last TC as he looked pretty good but no longer a FA. 

11 hours ago, Calichief said:

He is one of the top punters of all time in kicks downed inside the 20. Year in and out.

He WAS one of the top punters.  Last season I believe he was#23 in punts downed inside the 20 and #27 in net yardage.  No reason to pay his salary for that and he's one year older.  Again, a big mistake good teams make is keeping players too long.  

Colquit’s value is highest on a team that utilized ball control and defense to win games.   Our team changed when Mahomes took over and while flipping the field on a punt is important as is pinning a team close to the endzone it’s not nearly as important to this team as it once was.   Jet is right, good teams move on from players like this.  

13 minutes ago, jetlord said:

He WAS one of the top punters.  Last season I believe he was#23 in punts downed inside the 20 and #27 in net yardage.  No reason to pay his salary for that and he's one year older.  Again, a big mistake good teams make is keeping players too long.  

The sentiment was he kicked too many through the end zone. He really hasn’t. I’d move on for sure.

He got his ring. We owe nothing more to him. Only way to keep him is if he takes a pay cut to around his net worth rank among punters. With how Veach has worked the cap that few million would be gold. Heck, maybe we can get a trade in and pick up a 5th or 6th round pick.

4 hours ago, liquidfriend said:

Camp leg.  They're not getting rid of Dustin till he wants to go.

I don't think anyone has this luxury when we are trying to defend a title with an extremely tight budget. Colquitt wasn't very good last year. Veach has traded an in his prime stud edge rusher and CB. He has cut future Chiefs Hall of Famers in Houston and Berry. There's no reason to think an over the hill, overpaid punter gets a free pass.

55 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I don't think anyone has this luxury when we are trying to defend a title with an extremely tight budget. Colquitt wasn't very good last year. Veach has traded an in his prime stud edge rusher and CB. He has cut future Chiefs Hall of Famers in Houston and Berry. There's no reason to think an over the hill, overpaid punter gets a free pass.

Especially if he can get a pick out of him or free up cap space to get another needed player.

3 hours ago, liquidfriend said:

He sat through the Herm and Pioli eras.  He can stay as long as he wants to.

Okay, give him a job on the staff or make him a scout or something.  To keep a player on the team at a higher cost than necessary because he's been a loyal soldier for lots of years isn't going to make this a Mahomes era dynasty.  It's a business where players either contribute enough to justify their contracts or they leave.  The Chiefs, after 1971, kept players way too long and never recovered for many years.  Colquitt is probably a good guy and he was a very good punter when he was brought to KC, but his day is over. 

11 hours ago, jetlord said:

Net yardage really isn't a good indicator of a punter, with variables out of his control.  

Keeping good players too long, yeah, if it's a RB, LB, S.  Punters aren't sprinting around, closing in on tackles, taking hits, etc.  A punter isn't going to have the same physical decline of other positions.  

I'm not debating whether or not we should keep him at his salary, I just think some of the reasoning behind it is fishing for reasons to dump his salary as opposed to legit reasons. 

1 minute ago, moons314 said:

Net yardage really isn't a good indicator of a punter, with variables out of his control.  

Keeping good players too long, yeah, if it's a RB, LB, S.  Punters aren't sprinting around, closing in on tackles, taking hits, etc.  A punter isn't going to have the same physical decline of other positions.  

I'm not debating whether or not we should keep him at his salary, I just think some of the reasoning behind it is fishing for reasons to dump his salary as opposed to legit reasons. 

You're right.  I'm making the argument that his salary is for an elite punter and he no longer is one.  That's not saying he's a drag on the team, only that he can be replaced with a cheaper player with no drop off.