lf first round mock

liquidfriend

1.  Cincinnati Bengals - Joe Burrow, QB  LSU

The Bengals are well aware that Andy Dalton will never, ever get them anywhere meaningful.

2.  Washington R*dskins - Chase Young, DE  Ohio State

Lot of talk about a QB, but no way they pass on Young.

3.  Detroit Lions - Jeff Odukah, CB  Ohio State

The Lions went out of their way to force this choice.  A great player, but man the Lions are ran like shit.

4.  New York Giants - Jedrick Wills, OT  Alabama

The Giants need to get Danny Dimes help if they want him to succeed.  They need some receivers, but should feel good about being able to land one with the next pick.  Meanwhile, Solder hasn't been a good add at LT and they should probably get an upgrade at LT and bounce him over to RT.

5.  Miami Dolphins - Tua Tagovailoa, QB  Alabama

I think the talk about Herbert is to distract the Chargers from moving up to take Tua, but I don't think it matters.  Telesco won't do it anyhow.

Even with the injury concerns, I think Tua is the better choice after Burrow for a team that wants to spread the ball around a lot and attack at each level of the field.  The Dolphins also can get every bit of insight on how Tua is doing from the Saban-Belichick-Flores connection.

6.  Los Diego Chargers - Justin Herbert, QB  Oregon

I expect the Chargers to sit and just take who's left which will be Herbert.  Herbert is probably a better fit for the Chargers ball control, conservative Offense anyhow.  I'm not sold on them passing on a QB.

7.  Carolina Panthers - Derrick Brown, DL  Auburn

After Young and Burrow, Brown is probably the best player in this draft and the Panthers have a need.  Easy choice.

8.  Arizona Cardinals - Isaiah Simmons, S/LB  Clemson

I like how the Cardinals are shaping up on Offense, but they need some play makers on Defense.  I think adding Simmons to play that Berry role gives them a pretty dang good secondary.

9.  Jacksonville Jaguars - Javon Kinlaw, DT  South Carolina

Not buying the medical reports from recently.  Smells like a Cowboys op to get him to drop and it's not going to work.  Kinlaw will be a great replacement on the Jaguars front.

10. Denver Broncos (f/CLE) - Jerry Jeudy, WR  Alabama

A lot of smoke that the Broncos are wanting to move past the Raiders for a WR and I buy it.  The Broncos need a go to WR for Lock and the WR's could be picked apart by the time they pick. 

Meanwhile the Browns should feel pretty good about getting more picks and still landing a LT. 

The Broncos send 77+118 with 15 to the Browns for 10.

11. New York Jets - Tristian Wirfs, OT  Iowa

The Jets need to prioritize basically this entire draft to help Darnold.

12.  Las Vegas Raiders - CeeDee Lamb, WR  Oklahoma

The Raiders need a #1 WR.

13.  San Francisco 49ers - CJ Henderson, CB  Florida

The 49ers secondary was absolutely dismantled by the Chiefs in the SB. 

14.  Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Andrew Thomas, OT  Georgia

The Bucs will prioritize getting help for grandpa.

15.  Cleveland Browns (f/DEN) - Mekhi Becton, OT  Louisville

I really don't think there's much separation from 1-4 on the OT class.  The Browns still land one of them so that's a win.

16.  Green Bay Packers (f/ATL) - Henry Ruggs III, WR  Alabama

The Packers need to capitalize on the short period of efficiency they have left from Aaron.  I think Ruggs would add explosion to the Packers Offense that they just do not have right now.  The Packers send 30, 62 and 94 to the Falcons for 16 and and 143.

17.  Dallas Cowboys - Justin Jefferson, WR  LSU

The problem with the Cowboys, and Rex Ryan was right, is that Cooper disappears for long stretches while on the road.  I think they were really really hoping to get Ruggs, but the Packers took him from them. 

The Defense is mostly fine, but the Offense just struggles when Cooper struggles.

18. Miami Dolphins - Austin Jackson, OT  USC

The Dolphins do need a new LT.

19.  Las Vegas Raiders - A.J. Terrell, CB  Clemson

The Raiders do not have another pick again till Round 3, they have a giant hole at CB and Mayock loves him some Clemson.  Is this a reach?  Yes.  Did they reach for a Clemson guy last year?  Absolutely.  I think they do it again.

20. Jacksonville Jaguars - Kristian Fulton, CB  LSU

The Jaguars are pretty weak at corner right now so it needs to be an early priority.

21.  Philadelphia Eagles - Xavier McKinney, S  Alabama

The Eagles need some more play makers in the secondary to get back to how they were on Defense.  Slay was a good start, but I think McKinney would get them on track.

22.  Minnesota Vikings - K'Lavon Chaisson, DE  LSU

The Vikings are thrilled to get Chaisson here. 

23. Jacksonville Jaguars (f/NE) - Patrick Queen, LB  LSU

The Jaguars move back up to add a missing piece to its front 7.  The Patriots meanwhile need to acquire even more picks to make up for the fact they just lost people in FA.

They send 42 and 73 to the Patriots for 23.

24.  New Orleans Saints - Kenneth Murray, LB  Oklahoma

The Saints are taking the value here with Murray.

25.  Minnesota Vikings - Denzel Mims, WR  Baylor

The Vikings will need to add something at WR.

26. Miami Dolphins - D'Andre Swift, RB  Georgia

The Dolphins will be set to push for a division title with Swift and Jordan carrying the load.

27. Seattle Seahawks - AJ Epenesa, DE  Iowa

The Seahawks will bring back Clowney on their own terms, which he doesn't seem to want.

28.  Baltimore Ravens - Yetur Gross-Matos, DE/OLB  Penn State

The Ravens struggled to generate pressure without sending extra guys.  They gotta fix that.

29.  Tennessee Titans - Isaiah Wilson, OT  Georgia

Conklin will need to be replaced.

30.  Atlanta Falcons (f/GB) - Jaylon Johnson, CB  Utah

The Falcons are in bad shape at corner right now.

31. San Francisco 49ers - Ross Blacklock, DT  TCU

49ers get some good value here.

32.  Miami Dolphins (f/KC) - Grant Delpit, S  LSU

Delpit will quickly come off the board on Friday, so the Dolphins will gladly give up one of the billion picks they hold to land him with a 5th year option.  The Chiefs get 56 and 70 for 32.

Since I basically left the Chiefs pick on a nut flick, here you go:

2.  Cam Akers, RB  Florida State

A 3 down back that can help close out games for the Chiefs.  Draws comparisons to Kareem Hunt.

2. (Sent to TB for 76 and 117)

3.  Troy Dye, LB  Oregon

It's time for the Chiefs to find a LB that can cover.

3.  Bryce Hall, CB  Virginia

Good value here to have someone to take over for Breeland next year.

3.  Logan Wilson, LB  Wyoming

I think they could end up doubling up on linebackers if Veach can maneuver some trade downs.  Making Hitchens a post June 1st cut gives them enough cap space for the entire draft class and to sign FA's when they need during the season.

4.  Michael Pittman Jr, WR  USC

While it's nice to have Sammy back in the fold for now, they will need to utilize this deep WR class to find his replacement.  I think Pittman can be your #2 WR by 2021.

4.  Hakeem Adeniji, OL  Kansas

Gross.  Should be able to compete at Guard with the rest of the pile.

5.  Geno Stone, S  Iowa

They could use some depth behind HB.

7 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

You think they're going to give up an early 3 to move up 4 spots that far down?  Not likely in nearly any class, much less this one.

No, but they might give up an early second and fourth.  If Love is still on the board at 32, the Chiefs will get more.   Just hate to see the Chiefs wait that long to pick.   For example, I doubt Hall will be there in the third.  Most mocks have the second tier CB flying off the boards between 30 and 50 but who knows.  Do you like Akers more than Helaire?  Don't know which will go first. 

2 minutes ago, jetlord said:

No, but they might give up an early second and fourth.  Just hate to see the Chiefs wait that long to pick.   For example, I doubt Hall will be there in the third.  Most mocks have the second tier CB flying off the boards between 30 and 50 but who knows.  Do you like Akers more than Helaire?  Don't know which will go first. 

The honest truth here is that I don't think there will be much of a talent dip from 32 to lets say......52.  The Chiefs aren't really pressing on needs outside of like a MLB to be brutally honest, but they're going to need a lot of bodies to prepare for the amount of players we'll absolutely be letting walk in 2021.

Just now, liquidfriend said:

The honest truth here is that I don't think there will be much of a talent dip from 32 to lets say......52.  The Chiefs aren't really pressing on needs outside of like a MLB to be brutally honest, but they're going to need a lot of bodies to prepare for the amount of players we'll absolutely be letting walk in 2021.

Agree.  That's why I hope they lock in a CB this year that's equal to what they would have picked without signing Breeland.  It wouldn't be all bad if a rookie beat out Fenton or Breeland but at least he would be ready for next season.  Cover LB is going to be tough.

https://www.chiefs.com/news/mock-draft-round-up-6-0-who-do-the-experts-have-the-chiefs-taking-in-the-first-r?fbclid=IwAR22P3DpS0D5FfESjao8U6oVD_gm9_QkwYn3ApVBKhU0Tap962cuASbZhJM

Peter Schrager of NFL.com has the Chiefs selecting Michigan interior offensive line prospect Cesar Ruiz with the No. 32 selection, citing that the former Wolverine's value at that spot may be too good to pass up.

As we've covered in previous editions of Mock Draft Round-Up, the versatile Ruiz - who saw action as a starter in all three of his seasons on campus - possesses the ability to play either guard or center at the next level, according to NFL.com's Lance Zierlein.

Sports Illustrated's Kevin Hanson also has the Chiefs selecting Ruiz in his latest mock while providing some additional metrics on the two-time All-Big 10 selection.

"…A three-year starter at both center (26 games) and guard (five games), Ruiz sits atop my interior offensive rankings and has allowed just 19 pressures on 895

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

No, but they might give up an early second and fourth.  If Love is still on the board at 32, the Chiefs will get more.   Just hate to see the Chiefs wait that long to pick.   For example, I doubt Hall will be there in the third.  Most mocks have the second tier CB flying off the boards between 30 and 50 but who knows.  Do you like Akers more than Helaire?  Don't know which will go first. 

Akers and Helaire are kind of the same guy but Akers is faster and will probably go later in the draft.  I like Helaire better but they're not that far apart imo.  I love both those guys in our offense.

10 hours ago, xen said:

Akers and Helaire are kind of the same guy but Akers is faster and will probably go later in the draft.  I like Helaire better but they're not that far apart imo.  I love both those guys in our offense.

Not saying Clyde isn't good but his lack of athletic ability is very concerning to me.   He played in an insanely historic offense.  In all honesty he was probably the 3 guy defenses keyed on so yeah I'm all for Cam later in the draft.

I think your first round mock is really realistic and makes me reconsider the pick for the Ravens at 28. 

As for the Chiefs mock...

Michael Pittman is a 2nd round lock. Top half of 2nd round I'd venture.

I highly doubt Logan Wilson is falling to 96. He's rated in the top 65 by pretty much everyone and is probably the most complete LB in all phases in this draft.

4 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

Not saying Clyde isn't good but his lack of athletic ability is very concerning to me.   He played in an insanely historic offense.  In all honesty he was probably the 3 guy defenses keyed on so yeah I'm all for Cam later in the draft.

He tested well in the explosion metrics.  He just lacks top end speed as evidence by that 40 time.  The tape is much better this year than Akers but then Akers played in a shit offense.  I would not be unhappy with either guy but yeah I would probably take Akers if I knew I can get him in 3rd but that's no sure thing with where we're picking.

On 4/17/2020 at 2:01 PM, oldtimer said:

https://www.chiefs.com/news/mock-draft-round-up-6-0-who-do-the-experts-have-the-chiefs-taking-in-the-first-r?fbclid=IwAR22P3DpS0D5FfESjao8U6oVD_gm9_QkwYn3ApVBKhU0Tap962cuASbZhJM

Peter Schrager of NFL.com has the Chiefs selecting Michigan interior offensive line prospect Cesar Ruiz with the No. 32 selection, citing that the former Wolverine's value at that spot may be too good to pass up.

As we've covered in previous editions of Mock Draft Round-Up, the versatile Ruiz - who saw action as a starter in all three of his seasons on campus - possesses the ability to play either guard or center at the next level, according to NFL.com's Lance Zierlein.

Sports Illustrated's Kevin Hanson also has the Chiefs selecting Ruiz in his latest mock while providing some additional metrics on the two-time All-Big 10 selection.

"…A three-year starter at both center (26 games) and guard (five games), Ruiz sits atop my interior offensive rankings and has allowed just 19 pressures on 895

I don't see a first rounder when I watch Cesar Ruiz on tape.  Not physical enough if you're going to take an interior blocker that early IMO.

On 4/17/2020 at 2:36 PM, xen said:

I think they are both around the same value which is anywhere from mid 2nd to end of the 3rd round IMO.  It's all going to begin when the top backs come off the board.

On 4/18/2020 at 1:01 AM, Lamardirts said:

Pay attention to the play and not the stat generating.  That's the key to scouting players at good schools.

Too much made about top end speed when it comes to the RB position.  While it's great to have, I think having top end acceleration with great feet and some ability to break tackles is a lot more important which is what he's got.

On 4/18/2020 at 1:02 AM, kccrow said:

I think your first round mock is really realistic and makes me reconsider the pick for the Ravens at 28. 

As for the Chiefs mock...

Michael Pittman is a 2nd round lock. Top half of 2nd round I'd venture.

I highly doubt Logan Wilson is falling to 96. He's rated in the top 65 by pretty much everyone and is probably the most complete LB in all phases in this draft.

This class is way way too deep to really feel confident about where any of these receivers, outside of the first couple maybe, will go.

10 hours ago, liquidfriend said:

I don't see a first rounder when I watch Cesar Ruiz on tape.  Not physical enough if you're going to take an interior blocker that early IMO.

I think they are both around the same value which is anywhere from mid 2nd to end of the 3rd round IMO.  It's all going to begin when the top backs come off the board.

Pay attention to the play and not the stat generating.  That's the key to scouting players at good schools.

Too much made about top end speed when it comes to the RB position.  While it's great to have, I think having top end acceleration with great feet and some ability to break tackles is a lot more important which is what he's got.

This class is way way too deep to really feel confident about where any of these receivers, outside of the first couple maybe, will go.

Also weren't there leaks about the staff really liking Allegretti? If so he adds that physical presence inside.  If so a Reiter can go back to being the backup or be released then we can draft a guy late like Cohl Cabral out of Arizona state.  Here is very similar thi Allegretti. 

16 hours ago, Palangi said:

Also weren't there leaks about the staff really liking Allegretti? If so he adds that physical presence inside.  If so a Reiter can go back to being the backup or be released then we can draft a guy late like Cohl Cabral out of Arizona state.  Here is very similar thi Allegretti. 

Yeah I think they're high on Allegrretti.

28 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

Yeah I think they're high on Allegrretti.

Hope so, but it's kind of a red flag that he was active so many times last season and got so few snaps.  The Chiefs don't want a rookie protecting the franchise, but with the injuries one would think Allegretti would have seen a little more action if he's part of the immediate future.