Crazy draft rumor

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/04/20/nfl-mock-draft-2020-justin-herbert-tua-tagovailoa-fmia-peter-king/

32.Kansas City—Jeff Gladney, cornerback, TCU 

Craziest rumor of the first round: Chiefs want to trade up for Henry Ruggs if he falls into the twenties. Insane. Do they want every sub 4.35 guy in the National Football League? A couple of theories: There are only two very good cover corners in this draft, Okudah and Henderson, and they’d be long gone by the time the Chiefs could make a reasonable offer. Sammy Watkins is a short-termer, probably only one more year in KC, so another quick-twitch guy would fit either this year or next. Finally, fast guys with slight builds who collide with defenders tend to get hurt, so Ruggs would be good insurance for that in 2020 and a stalwart beyond that.

Anyhoo, the Chiefs’ biggest position of need right now is corner, and Gladney is a competitive and tough player who would fit in Steve Spagnuolo’s scheme.

https://arrowheadaddict.com/2020/04/20/nfl-draft-rumors-chiefs-interest-trade-henry-ruggs-iii/

NFL draft rumors: Chiefs want to trade up for Henry Ruggs III

According to Peter King, the Kansas City Chiefs want to trade up for Henry Ruggs III if he falls into the lower part of the first round of the 2020 NFL Draft.

How much speed is enough speed? The Kansas City Chiefs reportedly want to find out with the rumor—the “craziest draft rumor,” as NFL columnist Peter King calls it—that the team is interested in trading up for Henry Ruggs III if he falls within range in the 2020 NFL Draft’s first round.

Ruggs is generally considered the best deep threat in this year’s draft class, one that’s already loaded at wide receiver. The idea that many teams would ever trade up for a receiver in such a deep rookie class is already interesting, but the Chiefs being that team makes this laughable—or is it? Here’s the official rumor as posted in King’s latest column:

“Craziest rumor of the first round: Chiefs want to trade up for Henry Ruggs III if he falls into the twenties. Insane. Do they want every sub 4.35 guy in the National Football League?” he writes.

Ruggs starred at the highest level of college football as an Alabama product who averaged 17.6 yards/catch through three seasons for the Crimson Tide. He caught 98 total passes for 1,716 receiving yards and 24 touchdowns. He’s also a capable kick returner who could help the Chiefs there if they wanted to pull their current options.

Therein lies the rub here. Ruggs is, by all accounts, a dynamic addition for any team in the NFL. No one would doubt that, but the very idea of adding Ruggs feels silly from all sides. It’s the very last thing that the Chiefs actually need with both Tyreek Hilland Mecole Hardman locked up. The Chiefs have developed Hill from a Pro Bowl returner to a Pro Bowl receiver and just signed him to a lucrative extension. Hardman is on the same pace after a stellar rookie season and the Chiefs have no issues already spreading the field and taxing defenses for 60 minutes.

The primary thing to remember this time of year is that believing anyone is a fool’s game. Draft smokescreens are set left and right for no good reason, really, because no one should believe a rumor like this. First, Ruggs falling that far would be a bit of a surprise but the Chiefs making such a move would be an already loaded offensive team using very little draft capital to move up for something they don’t need.

If there was a case to be made here, it would likely center on Tyreek Hill’s early season clavicle injury that last season and how much it limited the offense. Perhaps the Chiefs want some very real insurance on Hill knowing that Hardman himself will be serving as insurance next season when both Sammy Watkins and Demarcus Robinson are gone. In 2021, if Hill is injured, suddenly the Chiefs options are Hardman and Kelce without any more imports. However, that’s one year away and removes the idea of any further moves on Brett Veach’s part between now and then.

If you ask us, there is nothing of substance here whatsoever and we’d be appalled if there was even someinterest in the front office on moving up to get Ruggs even if he was within range.

Highly doubtful.  They would have to give up almost all of their draft to get high enough to make that happen.

Even if he were to slide past the Jets, 49ers, Raiders (twice), Broncos andFalcons (darkhorse team here...GM loves Bama WRs) well Pederson will absolutely take him at 21. 

12 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

Highly doubtful.  They would have to give up almost all of their draft to get high enough to make that happen.

Even if he were to slide past the Jets, 49ers, Raiders (twice), Broncos andFalcons (darkhorse team here...GM loves Bama WRs) well Pederson will absolutely take him at 21. 

Deep WR draft, we need more picks not less, we already have two good young WRs locked up for two more years and since when did we start broadcasting players we are targeting.  It’s absurd. 

There are others close to being as fast as Hill but what sets him apart is his quickness.  I don't think Ruggs is even close to as elusive and quick as Hill.   Ruggs is lightning fast but if you watch Alabama Jeudy is the most elusive wr  on the team with his quick feet.   This is coming from a huge Bama fan.  I would love him but wouldn't want to give up our 2nd and a pick next year to move up for a WR.   We could sit back or trade back and nab a very good wr in the 32-45 range.   

7 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

There are others close to being as fast as Hill but what sets him apart is his quickness.  I don't think Ruggs is even close to as elusive and quick as Hill.   Ruggs is lightning fast but if you watch Alabama Jeudy is the most elusive wr  on the team with his quick feet.   This is coming from a huge Bama fan.  I would love him but wouldn't want to give up our 2nd and a pick next year to move up for a WR.   We could sit back or trade back and nab a very good wr in the 32-45 range.   

Veach is just goading teams into hopefully doing something dumb and allowing a corner or cover LB to fall.  

41 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Veach is just goading teams into hopefully doing something dumb and allowing a corner or cover LB to fall.  

I actually think we are in a good spot to get a good player.  I think there are players in that top tier of talent all the way up to the mid 40's, but the 49ers could try and trade that 2nd 1st rounder they have to do the same and they need picks actually worse than we do so they might take less to do that.   

12 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

What if Jefferson fell to 32 assuming Queen, Ruiz and Fulton are off the board.  Do you pull the trigger?   I think you do.

I would just take queen.  If Jefferson had significant experience outside the slot then maybe.  Same issue I have with Jeudy.  Show you can do it outside against NFL press coverage.  We already have lots of guys that can play the slot.

5 minutes ago, xen said:

oh he's a great WR, but i wouldn't take him over Lamb or Ruggs.

I would. Just as Cali said, Jeudy CAN DO IT ALL. He has speed, hands and excellent route runner. Since I watched Lamb every saturday (being a sooner fan), he does have good hands, but his route running is not even close to Jeudy and his speed is okay. Ruggs, I don't quite know yet, except his size would dictate being a slot WR. 

I would go with Jeudy, Lamb and then Ruggs..

But if I was the Chiefs GM, I would do whatever to get a damn LB. I don't think I can watch Hitchens "flail and flop" around on the field another year.