the no trade mock

liquidfriend

Here's how I'd approach this if there weren't any trades.

1.  Ross Blacklock, DT  TCU

The cold hard truth is the Chiefs aren't going to be able to afford Chris Jones and the Chiefs lack some leverage against him until he signs the tag.  Ultimately I think he'll sign the tag and show up at some point, but it may not be Week 1.  Ultimately the plan should be play him on the tag for this year, tag again in 2021 and trade.

There are some players that could slide if teams go crazy on tackles in the first round, and Blacklock seems like a logical target for a surprise slide. 

2.  Damon Arnette, CB  Ohio State

Has some off the field issues, but is a very physical player that will grab their attention.  This probably about the right spot to take that chance.

3.  Zack Moss, RB  Utah

Probably should go earlier, but will probably slide because of how deep the class is and medical concerns.  I think this area is a fit for a RB.

4.  Malik Harrison, LB  Ohio State

Stuck out at the Senior Bowl, but questions about his ability to cover.  I think he's 'good enough'

5.  K.J. Hill, WR  Ohio State

Ran a disappointing 40 at the combine, but I think he plays faster than the timed speed. 

Runs well after the catch, has pretty good hands and made some big plays at Ohio State.  I think he could work out well in the slot.

3 hours ago, liquidfriend said:

Here's how I'd approach this if there weren't any trades.

1.  Ross Blacklock, DT  TCU

The cold hard truth is the Chiefs aren't going to be able to afford Chris Jones and the Chiefs lack some leverage against him until he signs the tag.  Ultimately I think he'll sign the tag and show up at some point, but it may not be Week 1.  Ultimately the plan should be play him on the tag for this year, tag again in 2021 and trade.

There are some players that could slide if teams go crazy on tackles in the first round, and Blacklock seems like a logical target for a surprise slide. 

2.  Damon Arnette, CB  Ohio State

Has some off the field issues, but is a very physical player that will grab their attention.  This probably about the right spot to take that chance.

3.  Zack Moss, RB  Utah

Probably should go earlier, but will probably slide because of how deep the class is and medical concerns.  I think this area is a fit for a RB.

4.  Malik Harrison, LB  Ohio State

Stuck out at the Senior Bowl, but questions about his ability to cover.  I think he's 'good enough'

5.  K.J. Hill, WR  Ohio State

Ran a disappointing 40 at the combine, but I think he plays faster than the timed speed. 

Runs well after the catch, has pretty good hands and made some big plays at Ohio State.  I think he could work out well in the slot.

Like your draft, but I'd take Akers ahead of Moss or better yet, an IOL.

Agree that the most likely scenario is a trade down unless SFO does it for some team to draft a first round QB. 

12 hours ago, liquidfriend said:

I don't think Akers would make it all the way to the end of the 3rd, otherwise I'd have him on that slot.

IOL wasn't addressed simply because just not enough picks.  In that scenario, I think they would grab a vet from post draft cuts.

Agreed. No way Akers is there end of rd 3. Talent wise he is on par with Swift, Taylor and Dobbins.

I do think IOL is getting picked though. They can't not invest on the interior again. Veach has spent almost no draft capital there since he's run the show.

1 hour ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Agreed. No way Akers is there end of rd 3. Talent wise he is on par with Swift, Taylor and Dobbins.

I do think IOL is getting picked though. They can't not invest on the interior again. Veach has spent almost no draft capital there since he's run the show.

Allegretti in the seventh is the only IOL in two years, but the need is more obvious this year.  With Morse gone and LDT not playing up to par, a lot has changed in the past two years. 

2 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Yes, but the truth is this class is pretty weak at IOL.

2 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

Yes, but the truth is this class is pretty weak at IOL.

There are several second day picks that could start for the Chiefs.  Either OC or OG is a need and Reid likes players who can do both.  The question is whether Reiter will look better if he has a better OG on either side. Other question is whether Allegretti is in the plans.  Not many sevenths make it to starter in the second year. 

19 minutes ago, xen said:

True.  There are a few later tackles that should be converted to guard so that helps some.

Robert Hunt?  Might have to use a second to get him.

Bartch?  Looks like a possible third day pick.

Hennessy?  Could be a third round pick for OC or OG. 

25 minutes ago, xen said:

Adeniji from coughkansascough could be a good zone guard as well. 

The Chiefs drafted two players from KU in 1997, Henley and Byrd.  Since than, they have drafted none from there.  Coincidence?  Don't think so.  😉