Tardif Restructured

• Chiefs restructured RG Laurent Duvernay-Tardif's contract.

Kansas City needed some cap space to give them flexibility ahead of the 2020 NFL Draft, so Duvernay-Tardif's contract gets adjusted. These type of moves happen all the time in the offseason and usually don't mean that much in the grand scheme of things. He's in the middle of a five-year, $42 million contract. His cap hits are in the $8 to $10 million range annually.

Apr 22, 2020, 7:56 PM ET
  •  

Not sure what to think about this.  I don’t like restructuring avg players.  It just kicks the proverbial can down the road (eg Anthony Hitchens).  My hope is something was wrong with him last year or we’ve already worked out a trade.  

1 minute ago, Lamardirts said:

Not sure what to think about this.  I don’t like restructuring avg players.  It just kicks the proverbial can down the road (eg Anthony Hitchens).  My hope is something was wrong with him last year or we’ve already worked out a trade.  

Im really hoping this is a take a pay cut or be released scenerio and not a add a year to your contract scenario 

I have a feeling KC is trading up. They have kept guys that were good enough to win a super-bowl. That gives KC an opportunity to get another super star potential guy vs 5 or 6 guys. This team is deep and does not have much room for projects. I see KC all in this year to win it again. They may not be thinking too much further out.

6 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

I have a feeling KC is trading up. They have kept guys that were good enough to win a super-bowl. That gives KC an opportunity to get another super star potential guy vs 5 or 6 guys. This team is deep and does not have much room for projects. I see KC all in this year to win it again. They may not be thinking too much further out.

How do they trade up? I think only asset they have is Jones. He could get them in the teens. But who is it that you want there.

22 minutes ago, Calichief said:

How do they trade up? I think only asset they have is Jones. He could get them in the teens. But who is it that you want there.

This +next year picks.

I mean we moved up to #10 to get Mahomes for two 1st + 3rd

So Veach has the fire power in picks alone

I still like the:

Skins get:  Jones+Fisher+#32

Chiefs get:  #2+Williams+Scherff 

If we trade Jones during the draft I don't believe any of us will like the value we get.   

I for one don't want us trading picks from next years draft.  At some point you gonna hit on good players in the draft to keep this thing going.  This isn't a back to back ride off into the sunset kind of thing.   This is a window to possibly go down as one of the greatest of all time......Andy, Mahomes, Veach and 5-6 players have potential HOF legacies if this thing plays out like it should.   I don't think Veach for one second is thinking about cashing in for this year.  He might be aggressive to get a final piece but I dont' think he's mortgaging the future to do it.   

2 hours ago, Palangi said:

Maybe they restructured top make him more available to trade? 

I'd take an 8th round pick for him at this point.   I actually think he's a candidate for a post June cut to free up money for Mahomes.  But no need to cut him now until you see what you got after the draft and FA.

✌
5 hours ago, Balto said:

This +next year picks.

I mean we moved up to #10 to get Mahomes for two 1st + 3rd

So Veach has the fire power in picks alone

I still like the:

Skins get:  Jones+Fisher+#32

Chiefs get:  #2+Williams+Scherff 

That trade of Jones & Fisher is just not based in reality. Those types of trades do not happen in the NFL. But, even if it did, the Chiefs gain roughly $22.2 million against the cap with 8.9 dead money but Williams and Scherff count $27.5 million against the cap, so you have to extend one or both immediately and wouldn't realize much relief, likely being tight against the cap anyhow. I say it's not realistic on a couple of fronts. You have a team trading away a franchise LT for a franchise LT in this scenario. Teams don't tend to do that. On top of that, the Chiefs would get far better value in the trade than Washington. To top it off, if I'm going to pass on Chase Young and trade away #2, then why would I do it for Jones when I know it's about 100% likely I could get all 3 of Miami's first-round picks this year for #2 and pick at #5, #18, and #26 and take Brown or Kinlaw at 5 and get ahead of the game with other picks, including a LT prospect to replace Williams who I could now trade away for even more ammo?

11 hours ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

Im really hoping this is a take a pay cut or be released scenerio and not a add a year to your contract scenario 

He had no guarantees left so I doubt he's leaving in this scenario. Could be open to some trades but that's a small possibility. 

11 hours ago, kkuenn said:

Cut Sorensen if we draft another S. Trade or sign Jones.

If we draft a RB...

Dont improve CB or LB.

Plenty to still bitch about on here

I know you're kidding but I have to say as much as I was not a fan of dirty dan I think he has earned himself an Alex Gordon type keep him until he retires contract for some of the plays he made not only last year but the year before in the AFC Championship game.

1 hour ago, soonerborn77 said:

I know you're kidding but I have to say as much as I was not a fan of dirty dan I think he has earned himself an Alex Gordon type keep him until he retires contract for some of the plays he made not only last year but the year before in the AFC Championship game.

We could say the same thing about a lot of players.  Many made a few game changing plays in the playoffs.  The fact is that only a few are irreplaceable.  Hanging on to players is a formula for average.  How well has Gordon played since 2015?  The Chiefs need to keep getting younger and cheaper fringe players if they're going to stay competitive.  That's the NFL.

16 minutes ago, jetlord said:

We could say the same thing about a lot of players.  Many made a few game changing plays in the playoffs.  The fact is that only a few are irreplaceable.  Hanging on to players is a formula for average.  How well has Gordon played since 2015?  The Chiefs need to keep getting younger and cheaper fringe players if they're going to stay competitive.  That's the NFL.

Yes I agree. Yet....they may be all in for this year and planning a semi rebuild the following season. Mahomes contract is not an issue yet. They could wait till next year for that deal.

Big Potential Issue: The cap next year could be way lower due to the PANDEMIC = Revenue loses. Some experts, blah blah blah, think as much as 20% lower.

2 hours ago, soonerborn77 said:

Yah, Dan had a good year......But I'm over it now. Cut him.

Get a younger, faster player.

33 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Yes I agree. Yet....they may be all in for this year and planning a semi rebuild the following season. Mahomes contract is not an issue yet. They could wait till next year for that deal.

Big Potential Issue: The cap next year could be way lower due to the PANDEMIC = Revenue loses. Some experts, blah blah blah, think as much as 20% lower.

Can't imagine the NFL or the NFLPA lowering the cap.  They would have to make some provision to revise the formula.  I can see it not going up as much as expected, but lowering it would wreck many teams, not just the Chiefs. 

30 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Can't imagine the NFL or the NFLPA lowering the cap.  They would have to make some provision to revise the formula.  I can see it not going up as much as expected, but lowering it would wreck many teams, not just the Chiefs. 

It was reported on the NFL Network as a possibility. 

Adam Schefter speculates 2021 salary cap implications of altered NFL season

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2020/4/22/21230404/nfl-2020-season-covid-19-adam-schefter-2021-salary-cap

6 hours ago, kccrow said:

That trade of Jones & Fisher is just not based in reality. Those types of trades do not happen in the NFL. But, even if it did, the Chiefs gain roughly $22.2 million against the cap with 8.9 dead money but Williams and Scherff count $27.5 million against the cap, so you have to extend one or both immediately and wouldn't realize much relief, likely being tight against the cap anyhow. I say it's not realistic on a couple of fronts. You have a team trading away a franchise LT for a franchise LT in this scenario. Teams don't tend to do that. On top of that, the Chiefs would get far better value in the trade than Washington. To top it off, if I'm going to pass on Chase Young and trade away #2, then why would I do it for Jones when I know it's about 100% likely I could get all 3 of Miami's first-round picks this year for #2 and pick at #5, #18, and #26 and take Brown or Kinlaw at 5 and get ahead of the game with other picks, including a LT prospect to replace Williams who I could now trade away for even more ammo?

You are correct in that this trade would instantly save us about $22.2M in cap space!

Williams has 1 more year left on his current contract while Scherff of course is tagged.  BOTH would need new long term contracts to make this happen

It really seems like your just trying to start something because you of all people know dang well that Veach would not trade for Williams and Scherff without putting in long term deals...seriously come on man!  

Veach and the front office can EASILY fit Williams(Top 3 LT) plus Scherff(Top 3 OG) in cap space for this year.  

I think the reason they would go this route vs taking Chase Young is that they have tons of cap and are stacked at DE already.  Gaining Jones for up the middle rush would take that Dline to the next level.  They also have a MAJOR need at tackle and Fisher would give them a Pro Bowl Vet, not as good as Williams BUT sooooooooo much less baggage and a cheap contract.

I find it funny you talk about...Your trade is so unrealistic blah blah and then you go ahead and type out that the Skins could just trade that #2 pick for ALL of Miami's 1st rounders like you work for Miami and know they are offering the Skins this deal.  It's widely reported that Miami is sitting tight for a OT at #5 and not trading up for Tua.

And you never even mentioned the #32 pick I added to the deal.  SO why?

Skins get:

Chris Jones, they have no need for a DE but a DT like Jones will make them a top 5 D in the NFL

Eric Fisher, They will trade Williams to someone....So LT is probably the biggest need they have and at only $10M for two years Fisher will be a great value.

#32 Pick, Still keep a 1st to gain that extra year option.  GMs seem to REALLY care about draft count and even a extra 7th gives them piece..IE Gronk to Bucs.  So still having a 1st round pick will be great.

Overall this trade gives them a better D, Better LT and same amount of picks in the same rounds.

Chiefs get:

Trent Williams, Top 3 LT that players and locker rooms LOVE but hates the Skins and that front office.  Skins have zero leverage and are forced to take less value.  Chiefs get a upgrade at LT and will not cost that much more in years to come.

Brandon Scherff, Top 3 if not the best OG in the NFL.  If LDT stays in KC then Scherff will line up at LG next to Williams!  This would take care of our most important players blind side for YEARS.  

#2 Pick, I say we take Young with this pick!  Clark on one side...Young on the other!  By the time Young needs his $20+ million a year contract, Clark's will be over and we can resign Clark for cheaper or move on.  Exactly the way a team should go about the DE position.