2020 NFL Draft Thread

https://www.frogsowar.com/2020/4/23/21230345/tcu-nfl-draft-preview-lucas-niang

Skip to main content

Follow Frogs O' War online:

Frogs O' War main menu

FILED UNDER:

TCU NFL Draft Preview: Lucas Niang

An injury likely cost Niang a round or two, but the offensive lineman has all the tools to be a big-time player down the line.

By Melissa B. Triebwasser@TheCoachMelissa Apr 23, 2020, 10:00am CDT

TCU v ArkansasPhoto by Wesley Hitt/Getty Images

One could argue that TCU is O-Line U.

After all, nearly 1/5th of the Horned Frogs drafted in the Gary Patterson era play somewhere along the trenches on the offensive side of the ball. Guys like Marcus Cannon and Marshall Newshouse paved the way for recent stars such as Joey Hunt, Halapoulivaati Vaitai, Joseph Noteboom, Aviante Collins, and more.

Will the next great TCU offensive lineman be drafted this weekend? It’s a strong possibility, with Lucas Niang eligible for selection.

After quietly putting together one of the best individual seasons by an offensive lineman in 2018, Niang returned for a senior season that promised to vault him into the first round. But injuries cut his final collegiate campaign short, and he played his last game in TCU purple against Texas last October. Now with NFL teams unable to conduct their own in-person medical evaluations, a player that had few questions a few months ago seems to have nothing but, now.

6’6”, 315 pounds, and with 34” arms, Niang certainly LOOKS the part of a long-term NFL starter. He went two plus seasons without allowing a sack in college, even while playing hurt as a senior. In fact, in well over 1,000 pass blocking drop backs, he surrendered only 32 pressures. And, again, zero sacks. That’s good.

With a pass-blocking grade in the upper-80’s and a steadily improving grade in the run game, Niang profiles as a can’t-miss prospect. But then there’s that pesky hip labrum, for which surgery sidelined him for the latter half of the 2019 campaign. That could mean he’s a first round pick, or slides down to day three. It’s nearly impossible to predict.

While medical teams may have questions about the tackle, his opponents certainly don’t; just listen to what top prospect, and likely second over pick, Chase Young had to say when asked who the best player he faced was. “The TCU tackle my sophomore year, he was pretty good. I was a younger guy, that’s when I was really figuring out technique. Playing that game I definitely had to find out that I needed technique to win beyond my physical skills.” NFL Draft Network’s Tony Pauline agrees, saying of Niang that he is an “athletic offensive tackle with tremendous size and upside. Bends his knees, plays with terrific pad level and stays square. Fires off the snap into blocks, works his hands throughout the action and keeps his feet moving.” He sees the prospect of a second year starter and potential star down the line. Lance Zierlein of the NFL gave him a starter grade, and said the “dancing bear” is a “help-now right tackle prospect who should be a long-time starter.”

Niang has been linked to the Eagles, where he could replace former Frog Big V, who left for Minnesota. New England seems to have a thing for TCU offensive linemen, and could swoop him up as well. The Titans, Bills, and Bears also seem to be willing to use a day two pick on their potential right tackle of the future.

Whatever happens, Niang has proven that he has the size, the strength, and the toughness to make it for a long time in the NFL. It’s just a matter of which team selects him when and starts him on that journey.

The NFL Draft begins Thursday evening at 7:00 pm with round one. Rounds two and three will take place Friday, and the final four rounds Saturday. All will take place virtually due to Coronavirus precautions. It will be simulcast on ESPN, ABC, and the NFL Network.

3 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Seriously the Ravens are killing it.   Outside of the wr, and even he’s talented, they are drafting a whole new defensive unit in one draft.

I guess.  Not that enamored with it personally.  If by whole new defensive unit you mean a part time developmental tackle and 2 linebackers, then yes.

4 minutes ago, xen said:

I guess.  Not that enamored with it personally.  If by whole new defensive unit you mean a part time developmental tackle and 2 linebackers, then yes.

They're trying to replace Zach Orr's surprise retirement and the departure of Mosley. We'll see how it turns out for them. They struggled against Henry in the playoffs big time.

Round four:

IOL:  Bartch, Muti, Bredeson

CB: Amik Robertson, Hall, Pride, Green

Is there some reason the Chiefs hate to draft CB?  Waited until round six last year and none so far this year.  Just the way the draft fell or do they think they don't need to develop any for 2021 plus have some back ups?

There are guys that will probably be available at our 4th pick that a few of us would have been happy with at 63.    Bryce Hall, Alton Robinson,  Netane Muti,  Saahdiq Charles, Akeem Davis Gaither,  Tyler Biadasz,  Nick Harris and Donovan People Jones.   

Cant remember such a deep draft. Gonna be fun tomorrow!

1 minute ago, jetlord said:

Round four:

Is there some reason the Chiefs hate to draft CB?  Waited until round six last year and none so far this year.  Just the way the draft fell or do they think they don't need to develop any for 2021 plus have some back ups?

I think they know what they want and I think the board didn’t fall or present a valuable pick at CB at our spot.   

5 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Round four:

Don't forget about L'Jarius Sneed. Ot of Louisiana tech.  Played safety and corner.  6'1" 190. Ran a 4.39 at the combine