2020 NFL Draft Thread

9 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

I think they know what they want and I think the board didn’t fall or present a valuable pick at CB at our spot.   

They didn't really reach, but the first three picks would have been available early in the next round in all probably.  Drafting 32 in each round is tough, but I though there were a few CBs of equal value.  Maybe the fact that some we liked fell is an indication that the teams know more than we do.

16 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Round four:

IOL:  Bartch, Muti, Bredeson

CB: Amik Robertson, Hall, Pride, Green

Is there some reason the Chiefs hate to draft CB?  Waited until round six last year and none so far this year.  Just the way the draft fell or do they think they don't need to develop any for 2021 plus have some back ups?

Or they see Fenton and Ward as the future. 

Just now, jetlord said:

..and who else?

Well, the way we use db’s , I’d count thornhill. And watts has flashed. So we are technically ok for this year. Maybe they add a free agent and draft for the future next year. All in all, our “DB’s” Are very good.

7 minutes ago, jetlord said:

They didn't really reach, but the first three picks would have been available early in the next round in all probably.  Drafting 32 in each round is tough, but I though there were a few CBs of equal value.  Maybe the fact that some we liked fell is an indication that the teams know more than we do.

Seems they work together as a team on who coordinators, Pat and Andy like and then Veach makes the call.  Could be Spags doesn’t like the same guys we do or they got snatched up before we picked (a la Kristian Fulton).  I’m interested to see the 4th and 5th round because the only real need at this point is IOL and DB so we should get a better idea of their intentions.

3 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Don't think so.  He's a special teamer.  Guess in an emergency he'd be put in but the Chiefs have to replace Breeland for sure and could use competition this season. 

Is there no draft next year?

Just now, Palangi said:

Is there no draft next year?

Yep, and the Chiefs will have more players to replace next year than this one.  Of course, a lot depends on what the cap number is next spring.  But even this season, the Chiefs are very thin at CB.  Can we trust Fenton to cover the fast slot receivers all season?  What happens if someone gets hurt?  At worst, a year's seasoning before Breeland leaves (most likely) is a very good thing. 

I like that they took an OT. I've always liked when they draft O line. I really think it's a very important and overlooked position. 

I really like this draft so far. I only have doubts about the LB with the 2nd pick, but I've never been able to judge LB's very well. 

43 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Yep, and the Chiefs will have more players to replace next year than this one.  Of course, a lot depends on what the cap number is next spring.  But even this season, the Chiefs are very thin at CB.  Can we trust Fenton to cover the fast slot receivers all season?  What happens if someone gets hurt?  At worst, a year's seasoning before Breeland leaves (most likely) is a very good thing. 

Replace a lot? Naaa. Some will leave like the 1 year rentals and some will stay. Breeland, Jones (who can be tagged again if not signed) Pennel, Watkins, Robinson, Colquitt, Hamilton, Seals Jones, Kpass, Remmers,  Sherman who always seems to resign 1 year at a time, Reiters, Williams, sorensen, Wilson and Mahomes all UFA. 16 total UFA.

Who do we keep? Well we will see on Breeland, Seals Jones and Pennel this year and their play. Jones and Mahomes they will get but Jones could still get tagged. Kpass i think will be back along with sherman. Wilson may be a keeper too.

Have to see on Remmers. The rest are no big lost. Watkins only comes back at a discounted price for his play time he has given us. It is not all that bad and we may see some signings after the season starts like Mahomes. I see about 6 or so we will keep.

Cap will go up. We have FA before draft with more picks next year and can look at some holes to address like a C or WR. Draft the guys for those others lost.

A hole at IOL for remmers and/or Reiters. Hole for Watkins as I see Hardman stepping it up for the 2nd WR apot or 3rd for sure. Hole at CB but we may still address it yet this year.

RB hole with Washington and Williams gone. We did get a RB this year and have Thompson too next year. Still will not be a huge need other than depth type and relief player.

2nd TE unless we keep Seals Jones but again we dont seem to use the 2nd all that much so far. Still Kelce replacement will be needed soon.

Really not a lot of holes or players we cant bounce back from if they dont resign here. I think we will be fine next year.

So CB depth/starter, WR and possible IOL next year as holes or needs going into FA and draft next year. Possible we resign yet also. 

Other smaller areas of need are LB as what do we do with Wilson or do we cut Hitchens and get a guy in FA? 2nd TE and RB.

2 hours ago, DefensiveMan said:

With the management and coaching staff we have in place we can draft and develope anyone that fits in the scheme of things. Just a beautiful thing we got going.

We haven't had that for a couple decades at least.   Everyone is on the same page and I think there are quite a few guys on our roster that we don't view as answer but the coaching staff really think highly of.  D. Harris LB,  R. Fenton DB, and M. Rankin to name a few.   We might not have as many holes as we think if some of these guys can get some more experience under their belt.  

2 hours ago, DefensiveMan said:

We'll probably go Corner and/or TE tomorrow I'd imagine. Our secondary just needs a little depth at this point. 

If we could move up and snatch Bryce Hall with our 4th and maybe next years 4th or 5th that would be great and then finish it off in the 5th with a WR/S/LB....I would be estatic.  Already a great draft so far.

Would have been happier with Hennessy in 2nd and a LB in 3rd but didn't turn out bad IMO. Swing tackle in 3rd means the starter in a year or two which is already a need and hopefully we won't be in a position to pick an instant starter at LT for the next decade. Willie Gay reports sound exactly like Spags' type so he probably wanted him in 2nd and Veach obliged. 

I doubt Robertson would last an entire round for us to pick at the end of 4th but him or any decent CB combined with an OC in 5th would be a good draft IMO.