2020 NFL Draft Thread

7 hours ago, jetlord said:

Round four:

IOL:  Bartch, Muti, Bredeson

CB: Amik Robertson, Hall, Pride, Green

Is there some reason the Chiefs hate to draft CB?  Waited until round six last year and none so far this year.  Just the way the draft fell or do they think they don't need to develop any for 2021 plus have some back ups?

i was wondering the same thing last night, the chiefs appear to be following the same model that they did for decades at QB...trade for someone else's backup or wait and grab a guy off the scrap heap...hope we make some moves in that area today 

I can get on board with the 1st 2 picks. The 3rd rounder is a head scratcher to me. Especially factoring in the dude has had multiple injuries. Why him? What does he possess that made him the Olineman the Chiefs wanted?

11 minutes ago, dhitter said:

I can get on board with the 1st 2 picks. The 3rd rounder is a head scratcher to me. Especially factoring in the dude has had multiple injuries. Why him? What does he possess that made him the Olineman the Chiefs wanted?

I can tell you exactly what it was.

The Chiefs draft physical freaks that they think they can coach up and/or have other risks.  That's been the general rule of the Reid and Dorsey/Veach era.  Both Gay and Niang fit that mold.  CEH not as much, but close.

7 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

I can tell you exactly what it was.

The Chiefs draft physical freaks that they think they can coach up and/or have other risks.  That's been the general rule of the Reid and Dorsey/Veach era.  Both Gay and Niang fit that mold.  CEH not as much, but close.

I guess. Chiefs SB win earns them a lot of leeway but concerned it gives them a false sense of " we can make anyone we pick into a stud". And we know that ain't the case. 

7 minutes ago, Calichief said:

This is why they did it. 

And that is one element to his game I've heard mention....he has really good recovery ability if he gets beaten off the snap. So injuries is what prevented him from being higher or the fact he came out of TCU as opposed to say LSU?

Did anyone mock this guy?

7 minutes ago, dhitter said:

And that is one element to his game I've heard mention....he has really good recovery ability if he gets beaten off the snap. So injuries is what prevented him from being higher or the fact he came out of TCU as opposed to say LSU?

Did anyone mock this guy?

All I've read about him is focusing on the injuries and rather thin calfs. Other than that the reviews are mostly resembling a 1st round guy. From what I understand he has most potential among non 1st round OTs but also more risks due to injury concerns.  

10 minutes ago, sith13 said:

All I've read about him is focusing on the injuries and rather thin calfs. Other than that the reviews are mostly resembling a 1st round guy. From what I understand he has most potential among non 1st round OTs but also more risks due to injury concerns.  

Hmmm. In other words a Boom or Bust type of pick. Great.

31 minutes ago, Calichief said:

This is why they did it. 

This is what I like to see. He could/will compete at G. Him next to Fisher will be a huge improvement. They can work footwork technique with him then too. He has the athleticism and strength to do guard for our scheme. Only questions I have of him moving to G will be his recognition of stunts and twist. Also his pad level being so tall as a G. I really hope he can do it though and we find that G to OT later when going forward.

34 minutes ago, dhitter said:

I guess. Chiefs SB win earns them a lot of leeway but concerned it gives them a false sense of " we can make anyone we pick into a stud". And we know that ain't the case. 

But it's how we got here.  Mahomes, Kelce, Hill, Clark, Mathieu, Robinson - off the top of my head these are all guys I can think of that had either serious technique questions (Mahomes), or character concerns ranging from small to large, and sure there are more that I'm not remembering.  (You can add K-Pass as another one who is a physical freak who hasn't panned out yet.)  I think it's more likely that we'll succeed continuing to do business this way rather than drafting the "big college production but limited athleticism" guys like Tyson Jackson and Javier Arenas.

1 hour ago, KC Warpaint said:

i was wondering the same thing last night, the chiefs appear to be following the same model that they did for decades at QB...trade for someone else's backup or wait and grab a guy off the scrap heap...hope we make some moves in that area today 

Yeah, I was hoping for a CB in a higher round. It’s a glaring need and has been for years. Yet, they don’t seem to make moves to address it. 

20 minutes ago, Burpo The Mad Clown said:

Yeah, I was hoping for a CB in a higher round. It’s a glaring need and has been for years. Yet, they don’t seem to make moves to address it. 

They have picked some in the draft and they just did not work out. Will keep it to rounds 1-4 selections.

Peters R1 and Nelson R3 in 2015.

2016 they went Russell R3 and Murray R4.

2017 R4 was the highest CB pick in Tremon Smith.

2018 we traded Alex Smith and part of the comp back was Fuller. No CB picked other than 6th round.

2019 no pick R1-4. Only CB was Fenton in R6.

So while we have used our high 1st or 2nd round picks in trades during this time for Mahomes and Clark we still did try for CBs either drafted or part of a trade. 

32 minutes ago, Burpo The Mad Clown said:

Glaring? I think KC was the 6th best against the pass. Good enough to be World Champions. CB needs some improvement and youth for sure but not a glaring problem.

52 minutes ago, Burpo The Mad Clown said:

Secondary was stellar when it mattered. Hardly glaring.

40 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Shocked. You are always so full of optimism.

O come on i was neutral on clyde, very positive on the lb and negative on this one. Thats a net neutral which is better than blind optimism about every gd thing.

i think ive nailed about 99% of my criticisms last few years.

i do like the upside on this guy just want to make another legit run at superbowl with pat making no money before making moves for the future.

interesting takes. I went straight to bed after the Naing pick. To be truthful I am more surprised  people are not a bit concerned about Gay. I mean any guy who will punch out his Qb  at the get go  is a concern ..IMO. He does that to MVPat and he'll get killed ..literally.

so far I'm not mad at the draft and have areal feeling the chiefs thought someone would pony up on CJ and that kinda threw a wrench in the perfect draft plan

43 minutes ago, xen said:

I seem to remember we won a superbowl while dumpster diving for corners.

Exactly veach and reid clearly think d line pressure and a last line of defense play making safety is more important than corner.

i happen to agree, i dont care how good the corner is, in todays nfl the wr gets open around 2 or 3 seconds anyways