Clyde Edwards-Helaire

Btw...those concerned about our pick and speed need to realize Kareem Hunt ran a 4.62 at the combine. Edwards-Helaire ran a 4.60. 10 and 20 yard splits were almost identical. CEH had significantly better vertical and broad jump. I know the argument....but Hunt was great value where he was picked. Can't argue it...but what's done is done.

6 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2020/04/24/kansas-city-chiefs-patrick-mahomes-rb-clyde-edwards-helaire-first-round-pick/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=NFLdraftmaverickMikeTony

The Kansas City Chiefs selected LSU RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire with pick No. 32 in the first round, but it wasn’t without a little insight from their most important player.

The Chiefs called up Edwards-Helaire with Clark Hunt, Andy Reid, Brett Veach, Eric Bieniemy, and Deland McCullough to congratulate him on joining Kansas City. In the call, they let him, and the rest of Chiefs Kingdom in on a little piece of information. Both Reid and Veach revealed that Chiefs QB Patrick Mahomes had hand-picked Edwards-Helaire as the player that he wanted for the Chiefs. And so, they made it happen.

“Hey, listen we’re fired up for you, man,” Andy Reid began. “We asked Pat Mahomes, ‘Who do you want?’ And he picked you. How great is that?”

“I’m ready to work coach you know that,” Edwards-Helaire responded.

“… Coach and I were thinking your way,” Veach said. “Then when we texted Pat [Mahomes] and I said, ‘Give me a name and don’t think about it.’ And he said, ‘Clyde [Edwards-Helaire] and I said, ‘We’re good.'”

It seems that not only Veach, Reid and the rest of the coaching staff were in agreement on Edwards-Helaire, but the star quarterback also recognized that he was a special talent worthy of a first-round selection too.

Be sure to watch the video for more from Reid, Bieniemy, McCullough and Chiefs president Mark Donovan. As well as more from the newest RB for the Kansas City Chiefs.

and so now comes the propaganda that comes with every draft.. remember how DAT  was going to chang the NFL..hell he couldn't keep his own shoes on he was so quick

4 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Looks like a very good player and fit. That said...in todays NFL you can take guys off the street and get results. See Anderson in 2018. Personally no RB is worth a first round selection. Would have preferred a safety or CB in that spot. WE now have 7 rbs on the roster.

Why do you think we have 7? Are any of them capable of being a 3 down back or playing for the whole season so far?  If we can cut it down to say 4 we will be fine. I think this guy shares the load as he learns and we have Williams, Washington, Thomas and him on the depth chart. Next year Williams will be gone and CEH will have a year under his belt.

I read a lot about not taking a RB in the first. Terrible idea. One article gave us a fail. I don't get it. You can get a good running back later. I don't know about that. That can be said about any position.

Last years top ten RBs had 7 first round picks and 2 guys like Henry at 45 and Mixon at 48 were not far from 32. So 9 of the 10 were fist or high second picks. A running back at 32 is not a reach IMO. We lost 4 RBs to injury last year. Williams is a pretty nice pass catching RB, but he has less than 500 years last year. Just behind Josh Allen.

I wanted OL, but like the pick. Better than taking a CB that you don't believe in because you are trying to check a box.

1 minute ago, kkuenn said:

Why do you think we have 7? Are any of them capable of being a 3 down back or playing for the whole season so far?  If we can cut it down to say 4 we will be fine. I think this guy shares the load as he learns and we have Williams, Washington, Thomas and him on the depth chart. Next year Williams will be gone and CEH will have a year under his belt.

He was the guy they wanted. We did not pick again until the end of the 2nd round. Would he have been there? Hard to tell yes or no, so do you let your BPA that you wanted go just because he is a RB and you are selecting in the 1st round? No way. Also RBs maybe easy to get or dime a dozen etc but being a 1st round guy we now have his control for 5 years. About the time a RB lifespan in the NFL is.  They could say the same thing about WRs this year. Why draft one in the 1st round when all that talent is out there in rounds 2 and 3 too......

I think it is a fukking great pick.  I mocked him in the 2nd, but I'm fine at 32.  Not a fan of RB in the 1st, but this was a definite luxury pick.  And, with a lot of corners falling, Veach can still get Hall, Dantzler, or Robertson at 63.  Pride, Robinson, Ojemudia after that.  If Diggs or Johnson get to the 20s, we could even possibly see Veach trade up.

When it suits us we see pick 32 as not much more than a high 2nd round type pick . I heard only 20 players truly graded out as a 1st round talent and I don't think any of them were still on the board. So we were basically getting 2nd round talent anyway. Yeah 1st round contracts and all...so we also get him on a 5th year. This pick will work for the Chiefs.

I keep watching the tigers bamma, game, and watching diggs, and company get ran over by a 5'7 200 lb running back.. I see a lot to like, including side to side quickness, jump cuts and quick decision making and vision... also he looks in pads quite a bit quicker than any 4.6 would like to see the splits off that...

1 hour ago, dhitter said:

Btw...those concerned about our pick and speed need to realize Kareem Hunt ran a 4.62 at the combine. Edwards-Helaire ran a 4.60. 10 and 20 yard splits were almost identical. CEH had significantly better vertical and broad jump. I know the argument....but Hunt was great value where he was picked. Can't argue it...but what's done is done.

Speed is overrated. It's a nice compliment to have but reality is the ability to move the chains.

If we had picked him in the 2nd at 34 would you still be bitching about it? We're talking a ONE spot difference from the 2nd round. Who gives a shit...when he's tearing it up by middle of the season I hope all of you continue to moan about how he was taken in the first. I think we see 2018 offensive trends again versus 2019.

1 minute ago, Biggjliv4 said:

If we had picked him in the 2nd at 34 would you still be bitching about it? We're talking a ONE spot difference from the 2nd round. Who gives a shit...when he's tearing it up by middle of the season I hope all of you continue to moan about how he was taken in the first. I think we see 2018 offensive trends again versus 2019.

I don't see moaning. I see some willing to discuss and debate. The guy is a winner and will have impact. Doesn't mean a different position could not have been taken. Im sure the Chiefs are debating each choice.

Just now, Burpo The Mad Clown said:

I just read that Veach and Reid gave Mahomes this pick. According to the article, they asked Mahomes who he wanted. This was his choice. 

Yeah, i linked it above. Check out the stat line for him last year. Impressive. 

Just now, Burpo The Mad Clown said:

I just read that Veach and Reid gave Mahomes this pick. According to the article, they asked Mahomes who he wanted. This was his choice. 

I interpreted that they had already decided who they were picking then asked pat who he would want and said CEH. Wasn't pat decided, it was they so happened to align on the same guy. 

2 minutes ago, Burpo The Mad Clown said:

They probably gave Mahomes a choice between RBs on their list. I don't see them seeing another position as a higher priority but picking a RB just because Mahomes wanted one. 

1 minute ago, artsy said:

Do you think they chose the right one?

Reid and Veach chose what they believe is the best RB.  I trust em.. should be fun to watch. Moreso than any other position they could have selected. The best offense just got better

2 hours ago, oldtimer said:

and so now comes the propaganda that comes with every draft.. remember how DAT  was going to chang the NFL..hell he couldn't keep his own shoes on he was so quick

Well I just fell in love. Already had him as my second favorite back behind Swift. This offense is gonna be a video game.

The more i see and read on him the more i am liking this pick. His vision and cutting will be amazing for us after the catch or on a sweep etc. To be able to run inside and be hidden behind our line is a plus. Love his stats last year.....

Only SEC player with 1000 yards rushing and 50 plus catches....perfect for our offense.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/clyde-edwards-helaire-1.html