Clyde Edwards-Helaire

2 hours ago, DieHard said:

I read a lot about not taking a RB in the first. Terrible idea. One article gave us a fail. I don't get it. You can get a good running back later. I don't know about that. That can be said about any position.

Last years top ten RBs had 7 first round picks and 2 guys like Henry at 45 and Mixon at 48 were not far from 32. So 9 of the 10 were fist or high second picks. A running back at 32 is not a reach IMO. We lost 4 RBs to injury last year. Williams is a pretty nice pass catching RB, but he has less than 500 years last year. Just behind Josh Allen.

I wanted OL, but like the pick. Better than taking a CB that you don't believe in because you are trying to check a box.

I normally am in the camp of don't draft a RB in the first round, but when you're drafting 32nd overall it sort of goes out the window.  Having the 5th year option means they can use it, tag him once and get the best years of his career without ever having to extend a long term offer.

Damien Williams was great two years in a row in the playoffs. He was, most of the year, behind Lesean McCoy in rushing yards... our regular season RB injuries and lack of performance allowed defenses to T-off on Mahomes, leading to the constant nagging injuries and pressure. We absolutely need an RB, and the collection of guys we had before draft was no better than last year. I don’t think it is wise to take an RB super early unless they are as good as Elliot, Henry, or McCaffery. But at 32nd, with no RBs taken, we got our pick of the litter. Too many CBs and ILBs were off the board. With the exception of TE or interior oline, RB was the best value for a position of need at that point. And we don’t need any dline right now. Chris Jones is still on the roster.

21 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

I normally am in the camp of don't draft a RB in the first round, but when you're drafting 32nd overall it sort of goes out the window.  Having the 5th year option means they can use it, tag him once and get the best years of his career without ever having to extend a long term offer.

Good points. Plus 5 years of wear and tear can change a player. Its good to have the 5th year option and not be forced to resign after 4.

19 minutes ago, Thegoatee said:

Damien Williams was great two years in a row in the playoffs. He was, most of the year, behind Lesean McCoy in rushing yards... our regular season RB injuries and lack of performance allowed defenses to T-off on Mahomes, leading to the constant nagging injuries and pressure. We absolutely need an RB, and the collection of guys we had before draft was no better than last year. I don’t think it is wise to take an RB super early unless they are as good as Elliot, Henry, or McCaffery. But at 32nd, with no RBs taken, we got our pick of the litter. Too many CBs and ILBs were off the board. With the exception of TE or interior oline, RB was the best value for a position of need at that point. And we don’t need any dline right now. Chris Jones is still on the roster.

I was wanting protection for Pat. You made a good argument that that’s what we got. Protect him by passing less and making teams respect the run. 

Just now, DieHard said:

I was wanting protection for Pat. You made a good argument that that’s what we got. Protect him by passing less and making teams respect the run. 

Im not sure we will be running any more.  I actually see Andy going crazy with CEH being split out and running tons of routes and motioning him and Hill.  It’s gonna be wild this year.   Defenses gonna be miserable 

6 minutes ago, DieHard said:

Yep. This is what I was talking about during the season last year. 

3 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Im not sure we will be running any more.  I actually see Andy going crazy with CEH being split out and running tons of routes and motioning him and Hill.  It’s gonna be wild this year.   Defenses gonna be miserable 

I agree we won’t turn into a running team, but their is something to be said for running more successfully. Eliminate some of that 3 and long sell out on the pass rush stuff. We did run more with Hunt. I think it helped pass pro. 

14 minutes ago, DieHard said:

Good points. Plus 5 years of wear and tear can change a player. Its good to have the 5th year option and not be forced to resign after 4.

Center doesn't make sense right now because no way they could prepare for the season with no OTA's and it really doesn't make sense to have a Center that doesn't know the protection calls to be Pat's lifeline.  Center makes more sense when they can do a full offseason.  Ldt isn't going anywhere for awhile with the restructure.

Seems early to give up on Rankin when he looked promising before the injury.

7 minutes ago, DieHard said:

I agree we won’t turn into a running team, but their is something to be said for running more successfully. Eliminate some of that 3 and long sell out on the pass rush stuff. We did run more with Hunt. I think it helped pass pro. 

Going to be a lot of quick screens and such that even though is a pass it acts like a running play in those offense.

4 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

Center doesn't make sense right now because no way they could prepare for the season with no OTA's and it really doesn't make sense to have a Center that doesn't know the protection calls to be Pat's lifeline.  Center makes more sense when they can do a full offseason.  Ldt isn't going anywhere for awhile with the restructure.

Seems early to give up on Rankin when he looked promising before the injury.

I just hope that someone challenges Reiter AND Wylie this year. Those guys were horrible. Run and pass blocking.

2 minutes ago, artsy said:

I just hope that someone challenges Reiter AND Wylie this year. Those guys were horrible. Run and pass blocking.

Rankins will be a guard. LDT the other. Let Wylie, Reiters and Allegretti fight for center or guard spot even.

Yeah I think we see rankins at LG and LDT at RG. Wylie wil be the swing back up. 

My hope is Allegretti beats out Reiter of not we need someone to step up and take that center spot.  Reiter is a quality backup,  not a starter. 

Just now, Palangi said:

Yeah I think we see rankins at LG and LDT at RG. Wylie wil be the swing back up. 

My hope is Allegretti beats out Reiter of not we need someone to step up and take that center spot.  Reiter is a quality backup,  not a starter. 

Said in the draft thread that cushenberry, biadasz and Hennessy are still out there too

51 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

People are getting way too caught up in the first round thing. PIck 32 is a tough place to draft for a reason. We didn't have draft capital to move up or position so that we could trade back. So Veach took the best player available on our board. I'd much rather do that at a non value position that reach for a player we don't like as much as a value position. This kid can help us and do it quickly. And he's fun to watch play. Added bonus is that he just turned 21 last week and doesn't have a lot of wear and tear.  Plus he only fumbled 1 time in over 400 touches. 

2 hours ago, SEMO said:

Not sure if I agree with this. We returned 20 starters but just upgraded one of them and our major needs are still there. If we take care of those in the remaining rounds this might be a good draft for us but winning the 1st with a RB isn't realistic. 

19 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

People are getting way too caught up in the first round thing. PIck 32 is a tough place to draft for a reason. We didn't have draft capital to move up or position so that we could trade back. So Veach took the best player available on our board. I'd much rather do that at a non value position that reach for a player we don't like as much as a value position. This kid can help us and do it quickly. And he's fun to watch play. Added bonus is that he just turned 21 last week and doesn't have a lot of wear and tear.  Plus he only fumbled 1 time in over 400 touches. 

You don't think Diggs or Fulton had value?  They were higher on most draft boards that I saw than Helaire and they certainly fit the need category.  

42 minutes ago, DieHard said:

This is true.  Having a back that can run in close quarters will help this team a lot and you are correct that putting ourselves in very manageable 3rd and short will result in more runs which means more protection for Pat.   Misunderstood your original post.

6 minutes ago, jetlord said:

You don't think Diggs or Fulton had value?  They were higher on most draft boards that I saw than Helaire and they certainly fit the need category.  

It's hard to say if Spagnuolo liked either one of them.  I think we can all agree that CEH is a pretty good fit for the Offense.

Just now, liquidfriend said:

It's hard to say if Spagnuolo liked either one of them.  I think we can all agree that CEH is a pretty good fit for the Offense.

Yes, CEH is the best fitting RB.  How is his pass blocking?  Not much said about that. 

I think he is the best RB for playing right now.  He can run well, catch well, doesn't fumble, and hasn't been ran into the ground through college.  Will Taylor, Akers, Dobbin, or Swift, be better in the long run...its possible but for right now during the first contract he is overall ahead in most areas.

Just now, jetlord said:

Yes, CEH is the best fitting RB.  How is his pass blocking?  Not much said about that. 

Needs work just like 99% of the other RB's that come out of college.  Comes down to if they're willing to block or not.

Charles needed work coming out of Texas and Kareem Hunt wasn't known for blocking coming out of Toledo.  College teams just don't have their backs block, outside of a few rare unicorns.

Just now, jetlord said:

I think they said something about him needing to work on it during the draft but what running back coming out of college doesn't lol.