New deal done for Charles

All that I've seen so far.  

Jamaal Charles didn't need to wait long for his payday.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport broke the news Wednesday that the Kansas City Chiefs have struck a two-year extension with their All-Pro running back. Charles is on his way to attend training camp, according to a source informed of the player's situation.

Rapoport was told the contract is worth $18.1 million in new money with an extra $5 million over the next two years. The revised deal makes Charles one of the game's top-five highest-paid backs.

The 27-year-old Mr. Everything signed a six-year, $27.97 million contract in 2010, but was due just $3.65 million in 2014, well below market value for a player who accounted for 35 percent of Kansas City's offense last season. He spent much of last season as a legitimate MVP candidate and a dangerous weapon carrying and catching the ball out of the backfield.

Charles is coming off a season with 1,287 yards rushing and 1,980 yards from scrimmage -- second in the NFL -- with 19 total touchdowns. Along with LeSean McCoy and Adrian Peterson, Charles was leaned on as heavily as anyone at the position in 2013.

It helped that Kansas City seemed more than willing to dish out the dollars, with Rapoport noting that the sides were already talking about a new contract. Charles dutifully showed up to the club's offseason work, but the Chiefs knew all along that he planned to sit out camp until a new deal was knit together.

One of the league's most dynamic players deserves every penny he earns in 2014

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000367741/article/jamaal-charles-kansas-city-chiefs-strike-extension

Radio said he was inked through 2017.  That is bout as good as you could ask for considering age.  

Dorsey making it happen!!  Happy happy happy!!

Guest Shadow

So i guess Smith and Houston will have to wait. Cause if its true that Charles will make 8.9mil instead of 3.6mil that doesn't leave enough to sign either one of them

So i guess Smith and Houston will have to wait. Cause if its true that Charles will make 8.9mil instead of 3.6mil that doesn't leave enough to sign either one of them

Houston has yet to play an entire season. Berry is over paid & Hali is old. I bet we see some cuts that will make the fans uncomfortable.

The Flowers cut has a few pairs of panties in a wad....

Charles supposedly restructured as part of his extension  and the Chiefs still have enough cash for Smith and Houston.

Like Diehard said earlier, Tamba may be the odd man out.

Like last year when the Chiefs drafted Eric Fisher....they were smart enough to look out a year in the future in regards to Albert.

Don't think drafting Dee Ford was willy nilly.....they have a plan and can not afford everyone.

w

This doesn't hurt either...most of this years increase will be in the form of a bonus which will hardly impact our cap. Next year he might actually free up cap space, but even if not, will only drop the cap a couple hundred thousand. He left space for both to get deals done...

At first I didn't realize it was an extension.  Rolled over four years this looks nice.  Haven't seen the breakdown yet.  He went from making 3.9 to 8.3 this season.  If the 4.4 is a signing bonus his cap figure would be an even $5M this year.  They extended him, made him happy and left his cap figure as is.  Terrific job, Dorsey!

The Flowers cut has a few pairs of panties in a wad....

Charles supposedly restructured as part of his extension  and the Chiefs still have enough cash for Smith and Houston.

Like Diehard said earlier, Tamba may be the odd man out.

Like last year when the Chiefs drafted Eric Fisher....they were smart enough to look out a year in the future in regards to Albert.

Don't think drafting Dee Ford was willy nilly.....they have a plan and can not afford everyone.

w

Exactly, West.  Houston is the new Hali and gets the money.  We keep Charles.  And, of course, the link about Travis Kelce being 100% healthy and expected to have a breakout season was great to see.  A real TE will show Mongo what Alex Smith can really do.   It makes me chuckle to read the "woe is us" remarks about 1977.  The Chiefs will be a scary team, but their real future is in the coming several years, especially with the compensatory picks in next year's draft for the FA losses.  Dorsey knows what he is doing, and we have one of the best coaching staffs in all of football.  I also like the remarks from Eric Fisher about how comfortable he feels at LT being his "natural" position.  We'll end up with a better LT and all that cap money from Albert to fill in weak areas.  I also like our new 323 lb "road grader" OG who Charles will learn to follow into the backfield  before making his moves.  Defensive coordinators will fret for a week trying to come up with a plan prior to playing the Chiefs.

I'd remind everyone, also, that Charles will  have a much improved Kniles Davis to give him a breather and play some two RB sets with him.  And there are a couple of frighteningly fast guys we picked up in the draft that may leave opponents with egg on their faces when they pull back to cover the pass after seeing Charles taking a play off on the bench. 

A real TE will show Mongo what Alex Smith can really do.   

Lol.  A real TE will highlight what the rest of the world already knows.  Al is only effective between the hashes.  That's why his passing scares no one.

Listening to his interview from yesterday.

Not only did the chiefs extend the contract of a great player they also got a great man.  The dude is real humble and is all about the team. Doing everything the team needs of him.  Not just the running.

He said he didn't even think he could have held out if push came to shove.  Sounded like the chiefs approached his agent first on this.  If the team is doing these things, it speaks volumes to other players. 

It speaks volumes about Ownership, the GM and the HC.

I think young Clark Hunt has done well with Dorsey and Reid.

Jamal Charles is one of the top players in the NFL  ( I think he is right behind P Manning) and it speaks volumes that he wants to play out his career in KC.

Good Things are building....

w

If the front office, keeps Charles, Smith, and Houston long term, and plays better than 500 ball this year with our tough schedule, without Albert, Flowers, and Jackson, they will have negotiated their terrible cap situation and set themselves up for a very strong era with compensatory picks added in on top of it, and they should get a medal for competence.  That goes for Clark Hunt, too.  To me, it comes down this year to the OL, and whether Fulton can clear big paths for Charles, whether Fisher in only his second year can be as good as Albert last year at LT, and whether the guys they have found on the line can be coached up to do what Schwartz and Asamoah would have done.  That is really the question.  I have no doubt that Kelce will be a big help, and i am almost certain that Davis will be a fine RB, able to spell Charles or even start multiple games in a row if Charles gets hurt.  I also have hopes for Hemingway, Cooper, a growing chemistry between Smith and Bowe, and continued dominance by Poe.  I am guessing that Abdullah will be a big help at LB.  It really comes down to the overall development of the OL and the safeties.

I would look for us to pick up some older OL veteran, at least one, to add some experience on the OL, when training camp cuts make someone available in a few weeks.  We need a older swing tackle with a little gas left in the tank to play just this year in credible fashion, to help Stephenson and Fisher.  By 2015, we should be sitting pretty.  Lets hope that Bray or Murray will develop, so that they can make a trade with a needy team for Chase Daniel. They should be able to get a mid round pick for him next winter.

Archived