Chiefs select Mississippi State LB Willie Gay at No. 63

Might as well give the new guy their own thread. So they can be discussed individually.

6’1” | 243 pounds | Mississippi State 

Starkville, Mississippi

Combine: 4.51 40-yard dash, 39.5” vertical jump, 136” broad jump, 21 bench press, 7.08 3-cone drill

2019 stats: 28 tackles, 3.5 tackles for loss, 1 interception, 1 pass breakup, 1 forced fumble

Gay has excellent range, body control and lateral mobility to slip blocks while working to the ball carrier. When attacking downhill, his burst is exceptional, making him a very successful blitzer. Gay is a big hitter who can lay the wood and pop the ball loose from secure ball carriers. He doesn’t let up as the game progresses, finishing with the same intensity as he starts. This motor shows up when Gay is finishing the play , too; he will keep his legs churning at the goal line to make sure the running back’s extra effort doesn’t put him across the line.

Gay has great reps as a quarterback spy, flashing into the gap to keep the quarterback in the pocket before dropping to rob a crossing route as a hook defender. He is a tone-setting linebacker who can help bring some nastiness to the defensive front.

There are some off-field concerns with Gay. He’s had issues with academics and a physical altercation with a teammate. Those questions were obviously answered through the pre-draft process. 

Gay has the size, athletic profile and on-field mentality to be a Steve Spagnuolo linebacker. His ability to navigate blocks and blow up the ball carrier might remind some of another Chiefs great: linebacker Derrick Johnson.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2020/4/24/21235341/nfl-draft-results-chiefs-select-mississippi-state-lb-willie-gay-at-no-63

16 minutes ago, artsy said:

I just hope he turns out to be a solid player. Doesn't have to be a superstar.  Just solid. If he comes in and does his job at the Mike or Sam. Our defense will improve significantly. 

Solid would be good, but it's possible that he'll either be a star or a bust.  Has the ability to be all-pro and the background to get kicked out of the league.  The leadership on the Chiefs D should keep him in line at work but who knows who his friends are or how he'll act in his private life. 

3 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Solid would be good, but it's possible that he'll either be a star or a bust.  Has the ability to be all-pro and the background to get kicked out of the league.  The leadership on the Chiefs D should keep him in line at work but who knows who his friends are or how he'll act in his private life. 

Yea, good points. Fingers crossed!

1 minute ago, DieHard said:

Yes. I think they get him a little work this year, but mostly just learning. Next year he should start and be a boom or bust guy. I don’t see solid as an option from what I read. 

Spags is going to get this guy in on a lot of packages. He may not start but he should see a ton of reps. Face it....not much competition from other KC linebackers.

2 minutes ago, DieHard said:

Yes. I think they get him a little work this year, but mostly just learning. Next year he should start and be a boom or bust guy. I don’t see solid as an option from what I read. 

Outside of CEH, I doubt any of our picks will have more than a small carved out role in addition to special teams in 2020. The more teams have to rely on rookies, the more trouble they are. 

1 hour ago, Mloe68 said:

Outside of CEH, I doubt any of our picks will have more than a small carved out role in addition to special teams in 2020. The more teams have to rely on rookies, the more trouble they are. 

No rookie camp.  No OTAs.  No mini camp.  The Chiefs have a real advantage with nearly every starter coming back.  New players won't help.  Helaire may be able to step in if TC is normal length, but probably not before later in the season.  

1 hour ago, liquidfriend said:

I think Matt House will whip him up into shape.  I had him as a 3rd round sort of player, so the value was right about on point.

First round play discounted for his history.  If things work out, like they did with Houston, then Gay is a great pick.  If not, the Chiefs have no run defense and will still be weak over the middle. 

31 minutes ago, jetlord said:

First round play discounted for his history.  If things work out, like they did with Houston, then Gay is a great pick.  If not, the Chiefs have no run defense and will still be weak over the middle. 

History and general lack of playing experience at Miss State.  He basically is a workout warrior.