Kansas City Chiefs select L’Jarius Sneed in fourth round

The Kansas City Chiefs made their first selection of Day 3 with their fourth round pick of L’Jarius Sneed, a defensive back out of Louisiana Tech.

The Kansas City Chiefs finally made some noise on Day 3 of the 2020 NFL Draft at the bottom of the fourth round with the announced selection of defensive back L’Jarius Sneed at No. 138 overall.

Sneed is a versatile defensive back out of Louisiana Tech who weighed in at the NFL Combine at 6’0, 192 lbs. Sneed comes with plenty of experience in Conference USA. In 42 career games, Sneed put up 177 total tackles, 19 passes defended, 8 interceptions, and 2.5 sacks. He was third in CUSA in interceptions this last season with 3.

The Chiefs seemed primed to take a defensive back after ignoring the position through the first two days of the draft. Most Chiefs fans and analysts seemed to think other options like Amik Robertson or Bryce Hall, a former teammate of safety Juan Thornhill at Virginia, might be the choice, but the Chiefs went with Sneed, an incredibly athletic option who ran the 40-yard dash in 4.37 seconds.

The Chiefs have now added Sneed to a position group that also re-signed Bashaud Breeland and added Antonio Hamilton in free agency. These players join Charvarius Ward and Rashad Fenton to form the current corps of cornerbacks on the roster.

Previous picks by the Chiefs in this draft include a first round selection of LSU running back Clyde Edwards-Helaire, Mississippi State linebacker Willie Gay, Jr. in the second round, and Texas Christian University offensive lineman Lucas Niang in the third round.

At this point, the Chiefs only have one more selection left in the entire draft—a fifth round pick at No. 177 overall.

https://arrowheadaddict.com/2020/04/25/kansas-city-chiefs-select-ljarius-sneed-fourth-round/

28 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Didn't the Chiefs try to convert safeties to CB about 20 years ago without much success?  Can't remember the names, but I hope this works out better. 

Better at corner than safety.  Pretty big project though.

We're in trouble if he's playing anything beyond Special Teams this year.

1 hour ago, liquidfriend said:

Better at corner than safety.  Pretty big project though.

We're in trouble if he's playing anything beyond Special Teams this year.

The thing I don't understand is if they draft CBs that are projects, why not draft Hall and wait for him to heal?  Either way it's 2021 before they can expect any production.

1 minute ago, jetlord said:

The thing I don't understand is if they draft CBs that are projects, why not draft Hall and wait for him to heal?  Either way it's 2021 before they can expect any production.

I mean I would have, but I can understand why teams didn't since he blew out his ankle and nobody could do a medical on him.

13 hours ago, jetlord said:

I would be willing to take a flyer on him. Nobody has a medical on him so GMs are probably skeptical but Chiefs could always decide not to sign him to a full contract if he turns out to be done for life. The price is definitely worth the potential gain.

18 hours ago, jetlord said:

Didn't the Chiefs try to convert safeties to CB about 20 years ago without much success?  Can't remember the names, but I hope this works out better. 

yea that was Gunthers idea giant failure but  those guys were more like small LB's IIRC..  Sneed is a corner turned Safety..which would suggest his transition back to CB  would be easier

3 hours ago, sith13 said:

I would be willing to take a flyer on him. Nobody has a medical on him so GMs are probably skeptical but Chiefs could always decide not to sign him to a full contract if he turns out to be done for life. The price is definitely worth the potential gain.

He got drafted.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2020 at 4:27 PM, jetlord said:

I'm pretty sure they had a couple of college CBs (Jerome Woods and Reggie Tongue) they converted to safety.