61 members have voted

1. 1. What's your overall draft grade

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

• Round 1, No. 32 overall: LSU running back Clyde Edwards-Helaire
  • Round 2, No. 63 overall: Mississippi State linebacker Willie Gay Jr.
  • Round 3, No. 96 overall: TCU offensive tackle Lucas Niang
  • Round 4, No. 138 overall: Louisiana Tech cornerback L’Jarius Sneed
  • Round 5, No. 177 overall: Michigan defensive end Michael Danna
  • Round 7, No. 237 overall: Tulane cornerback Thakarius Keyes

No RB in the draft was worth a first.  Shiny new toy for the offense, but is Mahomes going to throw less so CEH can get carries?  Seems like overlap and there were RBs that fit the offense in later rounds.

Love the Gay pick as long as the Chiefs are convinced his personal problems are behind him or can be controlled.

Standing by to see if the third pick will/can play IOL.  If not, it's hard to see the value for the team otherwise, at least for a couple of years.

Have to defer to the Chiefs staff on this one.  Wasn't on my radar.

Real head scratcher here when doubling at CB or LB was an option.

Should have drafted the last CB in the fifth.

Overall?  C for now.  Waiting to see how the last four picks work out.  I"m thinking the Chiefs were hoping to move down and go about the same way and GB messed it up. 

Reality KC did not have a first round pick. Its like an early second. Drafting last is a huge disadvantage. Veach said this draft was about the future more than next season. Kc was in good position to repeat even without a draft. So based on Veach statement/goal, I say the draft was a strong B. Especially considering they were picking last.

C+

Chiefs are in the enviable position of lacking large holes to fill anywhere on offense or defense, leaving them free to roll the dice on crazy good athletes with question marks but huge potential.
Gay’s character issues allowed him to fall into the Chiefs’ lap and Danna is purely a gamble. 
I have to like Sneed. He’s a local kid I hope gets plenty of playing time. 

9 hours ago, Adamixoye said:

It's even more like a late first.

9 hours ago, AFCWEST said:

Reality KC did not have a first round pick. Its like an early second. Drafting last is a huge disadvantage. Veach said this draft was about the future more than next season. Kc was in good position to repeat even without a draft. So based on Veach statement/goal, I say the draft was a strong B. Especially considering they were picking last.

Schefter said he talked to a pro personnel director that said this is the deepest 2nd round he's seen in 25 yrs. He believed there was 20 players available in rd 2 that could have first round grades. Usually there're 7-10. 

So, no thats not reality at all. Reality is that the Chiefs drafted in the first round, so they had a first round pick.

1 minute ago, dhitter said:

Grades are a necessary evil I suppose. Would prefer to grade this draft a couple years from now. But I will give it a B in that I think we have 2 or 3 guys who will be solid contributors and we filled areas of need.

I always love seeing the 2 or 3 year re grades. Saw one for 2017 and we were an A+ from a C- while denver got a D+ down from an A

1 minute ago, kkuenn said:

I always love seeing the 2 or 3 year re grades. Saw one for 2017 and we were an A+ from a C- while denver got a D+ down from an A

I used to get all worked up over the draft grades from the sports analysts...usually because the Chiefs got dissed. And as you say, the regrades 2-3 years later is what really tells the tale.

27 minutes ago, dhitter said:

Grades are a necessary evil I suppose. Would prefer to grade this draft a couple years from now. But I will give it a B in that I think we have 2 or 3 guys who will be solid contributors and we filled areas of need.

Great point. Ungradable at this point.

19 minutes ago, dhitter said:

I used to get all worked up over the draft grades from the sports analysts...usually because the Chiefs got dissed. And as you say, the regrades 2-3 years later is what really tells the tale.

Just like power rankings. I have a Donks friend who liked to quote them and the draft grades all the time. He has shut up the last few years especially with regrading the picks and how badly they are in power rankings.

I don't think we had the best draft possible but IMO the grade is B. We have upgraded one starter at RB and there's a very good chance that we have a serious addition to our front 7. Other than that we have a high reward guy in Niang who'll at worst be a decent swing tackle for a few years. The rest are project guys so tough to say much about them. Looking at the slots players have been drafted I think we could end up with a better draft but obviously hindsight is 20/20. 

I voted B.

I just looked back at all the drafts since Reid took over. All the early picks were good, some really good. It does seem to get better as the years pass. Overall, every season since the Reid & Dorsey/Veach regimes, they've found at least two players who contributed with one being very exceptional. The exception maybe being the season Speaks was drafted, but Nnadi is pretty solid.

If history holds true, I think the top two picks will contribute, with one being really good. The rest may not work out or,  one of them will end up being really good also.  I like those odds.

I haven't looked at all the Chiefs drafts, but I remember years when they got nothing, absolutely nothing from the draft.