Grade the draft  

61 members have voted

1. 1. What's your overall draft grade

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I think at the end of the day its purely a crap shoot. You hope you make the right decisions based on prior production and profiles, but at the end of the day you battle human nature. How a kid responds to the speed, physicality, pain, scheme complexities, getting a big paycheck for the first time, etc is unknown until they show up.  Hope these kids are what we hope, but it's all wishful thinking and homerism at the moment. 

Clyde will contribute immediately. Gay will be really good. A noticeable improvement in the LB group. I think the Badger and the Shark will keep him in line. Would rather have had IOL instead of Niang but he'll be good swing tackle depth. Sneed and Keyes should help as they improve over the year. Not too thrilled with the Danna pick 

Watched the Chiefs post draft conference with Kissel and Holtmus and they kept saying the Michigan coaches kept bringing up Danna when scouts were looking at Uche.   I think he bulked up too much and played out of position.   Veach said he was a stud in 2018 at 250lbs.   I hated it at first but I'm gonna give it some time.   Like many of y'all said, gonna be hard for those guys this year with no offseason to get acclimated.    Look for him to get stashed on IR.   

I like the RB pick... and rolling the dice on Gay. 

A good running threat is critical to a passing game... without it, defenses can pin their ears every down. Saw some of that vs SF. 

I’m no guru but it seems to me our first obligation is to keep PH healthy... that means shoring up a pretty good OL, maintaining the speed factor on the outside and a solid run/wheel threat in the backfield. 

We keep PH upright, we win. 

I would have gone B+ maybe even A- on NEED... but there’s really no way to grade at this point

On 4/25/2020 at 7:51 PM, jetlord said:

No RB in the draft was worth a first.  Shiny new toy for the offense, but is Mahomes going to throw less so CEH can get carries?  Seems like overlap and there were RBs that fit the offense in later rounds.

Love the Gay pick as long as the Chiefs are convinced his personal problems are behind him or can be controlled.

Standing by to see if the third pick will/can play IOL.  If not, it's hard to see the value for the team otherwise, at least for a couple of years.

Have to defer to the Chiefs staff on this one.  Wasn't on my radar.

Real head scratcher here when doubling at CB or LB was an option.

Should have drafted the last CB in the fifth.

Overall?  C for now.  Waiting to see how the last four picks work out.  I"m thinking the Chiefs were hoping to move down and go about the same way and GB messed it up. 

Probably been already said but regarding the bolded item it's not about getting him carries, it was about the damage he can do in the pass game (55 catches last year) and also from an interview with Veach he wanted that guy when we needed 2 yards against a stacked box and believes he's the guy to do that.

On 4/25/2020 at 5:54 PM, kkuenn said:

Why do people say should have drafted the cb we got in the 7th round in the 5th? Even better we got him in the 7th. Trust veach and spags on the 5th rounder.

They're critical of trading a 2021 6th round pick to get back into the 7th.

1 minute ago, dksww said:

It's that in combination with being critical of the Danna pick.  A lot of people seem to think Danna could have been a UFDA.  No way of knowing if that's true or not.

Just now, dksww said:

Yeah but it makes no sense. Draft a guy in the 7th and they said why not take him in the 5th? Lol, they would have bitched for the reach then too.

We got a guy in the 7th they wanted us to go get in the 5th and save a pick? Well what if they did that and Danna was still there and they traded up for him then? It's a wash.....

Wow

25 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

These are just projected, right?  Isn't playing time a factor?  Both these guys had injuries with us, if that happens these picks might not be as good.  Also didn't Ragland get similar money and is likely to be a starter?  Isn't it possible he would be worth something?

4 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

These are just projected, right?  Isn't playing time a factor?  Both these guys had injuries with us, if that happens these picks might not be as good.  Also didn't Ragland get similar money and is likely to be a starter?  Isn't it possible he would be worth something?

Always projected until they say what we get. Playing time, contract signed, in season performance all factor in.

6 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Yeah but it makes no sense. Draft a guy in the 7th and they said why not take him in the 5th? Lol, they would have bitched for the reach then too.

We got a guy in the 7th they wanted us to go get in the 5th and save a pick? Well what if they did that and Danna was still there and they traded up for him then? It's a wash.....

Wow

People criticize draft picks because they don't recognize the players their team took OR, they didn't take the players they wanted in a specific spot.  It's that simple. 

5 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Always projected until they say what we get. Playing time, contract signed, in season performance all factor in.

I just don't understand why we would project for Fuller and Ogbah but not Ragland.  We didn't have a "cancelling" signing that I can recall.  Or am I misremembering the numbers on Ragland's contract?

10 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

I think with his contract and being a starter, Fuller's comp can be a 3rd.

Ogbah should get a 5th and maybe a 7th for Ragland.

1 minute ago, Adamixoye said:

I just don't understand why we would project for Fuller and Ogbah but not Ragland.  We didn't have a "cancelling" signing that I can recall.  Or am I misremembering the numbers on Ragland's contract?

It was pretty low but i always see people whiff on comp pick compensation because the NFL is pretty generous with it IMO.  Unles they're counting the low level FAs we did sign as cancelling them out which is possible.  But, we've lost alot more than we brought in for sure.  Hell, Wisnewski's deal in PIT isn't even mentioned and that could net a 4th or 5th.

4 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

Ragland signed a 1 year 1.1 million contract. He will have to play very well, in season stats, to get a comp pick from him. Probably why this guy is not projecting him as of now.

I gave it a B.  all the players have upside and like someone else mentioned, it was a classic Andy Reid/Veach draft.  Draft fast, athletic guys and coach them up.

CEH, Gay and Niang are going to contribute right away so this is probably a B+ draft.  If Keys and Sneed play and play well, it's another A draft like last year's turned into.

I don't know much about Danna other than he was a situational pass rusher at Michigan.  I'm sure he'll be that and on ST for the Chiefs this year.

On 4/25/2020 at 7:51 PM, jetlord said:

No RB in the draft was worth a first.  Shiny new toy for the offense, but is Mahomes going to throw less so CEH can get carries?  Seems like overlap and there were RBs that fit the offense in later rounds.

Love the Gay pick as long as the Chiefs are convinced his personal problems are behind him or can be controlled.

Standing by to see if the third pick will/can play IOL.  If not, it's hard to see the value for the team otherwise, at least for a couple of years.

Have to defer to the Chiefs staff on this one.  Wasn't on my radar.

Real head scratcher here when doubling at CB or LB was an option.

Should have drafted the last CB in the fifth.

Overall?  C for now.  Waiting to see how the last four picks work out.  I"m thinking the Chiefs were hoping to move down and go about the same way and GB messed it up. 

Agreed. No TE to back up Kelce either....