2020 predictions

liquidfriend

If anything wild happens due to Coronavirus, throw all this shit out the window.

AFC North

1.  Baltimore Ravens

The Ravens aren't going to cruise to 14-2 again as the North is better, but I think they are still the team to beat.

2.  Pittsburgh Steelers

The Steelers will need to keep the shit we've got no QB Defense going, and I think they will.  They know this is basically their last shot to do something.

3.  Cleveland Browns

New coach with minimal offseson is going to be brutal.  More questions than answers will stay with Baker.

4.  Cincinnati Bengals

If the Bengals are smart, they keep Burrow on the bench.  Let Andy take the beating and leave.

AFC South

1.  Indianapolis Colts

They are at an advantage because the AFC South sucks.  I think Rivers familiarity with the Offense and the rushing attack and all the players they've acquired will put them over the top.  They mostly have to wish the injury bug stays away.

2. Houston Texans

The Texans benefited from the South sucking last year, but they took a giant step back in the offseason.  Morale has to be low in Houston.

3. Tennessee Titans

The Titans had a Cinderella run, but unfortunately they come back down to earth.  I don't think Henry will hold up all year and Tannehill is going to turn into a pumpkin.

4.  Jacksonville Jaguars

The Jaguars will be that fun watching MAC team that has some wild gimmick Offense and they don't win many games.  Minshew has some severe limitations.

Marrone and Caldwell are shown the door.

AFC East

1.  Miami Dolphins

The Dolphins?????  Yes, the Miami Dolphins.  I really liked what I saw from them to finish the year and I think the roster got a lot better overall.

Chan Gailey knows how to get the most out of Ryan Fitzpatrick.  Over the Bills?  Yes.  I do not think the Bills have a killer instinct while the Dolphins showed it by slaying the Patriots in Foxboro to finish the year. 

2.  Buffalo Bills

I don't think the Bills are confident in Josh Allen and I really don't blame them.  I think the roster is a Pro Bowl roster, but they made a gigantic error when they passed on Patrick Mahomes.  That trade is going to haunt them forever.

3.  New York Jets

The Jets would have been better in 2019 if Darnold didn't kiss a street hooker.  He's probably the best QB in this division, but the roster is just trash. 

4.  New England Patriots

Too many questions with this team that had to let a lot of key players go due to the salary cap.  They believe in Stidham, but I don't with those weapons.  Patriots miss the playoffs.

AFC West

1.  Kansas City Chiefs

The Chiefs got better this year and well they won the Super Bowl last year.  That's a good sign for a repeat.

2.  Denver Broncos

It's so hard to really pick from the shit sandwich after, but I'll go with the Broncos.  Lock has the most potential out of the rest.

3. Las Vegas Raiders

They've got some good pieces around, but the QB position is unsettled.  That will doom the honeymoon period in sin city.

4. Los Diego Chargers

I don't think Tyrod Taylor and Herbert are going to get it done for them.  At this point you have to start questioning if they have the right people in place.

NFC North

1.  Minnesota Vikings

I like the moves the Vikings made and they're fresh off of shocking the Saints in New Orleans.  Cousins is the established leader and he has better protection. 

2.  Green Bay Packers

I think the Packers take a big step back, but the rest of the division is too garbage to capitalize on it.  50-50 that Rodgers demands a trade at some point.

3.  Detroit Lions

I think the Lions would be higher if they had made actual upgrades and Stafford wasn't beat up.

4.  Chicago Bears

Nagy and Pace are fucked.  Mega fucked. 

NFC South

1.  New Orleans Saints

The one thing that hasn't been discussed is how much Tom Brady struggles playing in Florida, where he'll now be playing 8 games minimum. 

I think the Saints are still the team to beat in the NFC South, but will be interesting football watching 2 geezers duel it out.

2.  Tampa Bay Buccaneers

The Buccaneers will take a step forward even with the Tom sucks in Florida bit.  He's not going to throw back breaking picks like Jameis did.

3.  Atlanta Falcons

The Falcons suffer from playing in the same division with 2 future HoF QB's.  Unfortunately for Dimitroff and NPC Head Coach Dan Quinn, it's a results driven leave and they're out of time.

4.  Carolina Panthers

Not this year.

NFC East

1.  Dallas Cowboys

They narrowly missed the playoffs last year, but I think they make it this time around.  McCarthy is an upgrade from the clapper and they did well to acquire talent in the draft.  Dak Prescott will be playing for the payday he direly wants.

I think they take a good step forward in 2020.

2. New York Giants

The Giants are going to be a surprise team, I think.  Not playoff surprise team, but will exceed expectations and Gettleman will survive for another day.  Danny Dimes will benefit from Barkley running behind a much better OL and now they can move Jabril Poopers to the bench.

3.  Philadelphia Eagles

The Eagles got a nice trade out of Slay, but I think the offseason has been a disaster otherwise.  Pederson is going to start to wear out his welcome, which is impressive considering he brought them the first ever SB.

4.  Washington Redskins

Offense will still suck.

NFC West

1.  Seattle Seahawks

The Seahawks nearly pulled it off last year with the 49ers going for it all.  I believe either Clowney returns or they go out and get Everson Griffin.  I think they are primed to make a run this year.

2.  Arizona Cardinals

I really like the Cardinals this year to be the Cinderella team.  The QB should be a lot more confident in Year 2 with a great security blanket at WR and an upgraded line.  They scored a nice playmaker for the Defense and solid pieces to go with him in the draft and managed to keep Drake.  I'm feeling playoffs.

3.  San Francisco 49ers

The Chiefs cracked the code on the 49ers 'vaunted' Defense and the league spent all offseason copying the Chiefs blueprint.  The 49ers did nothing to upgrade the secondary and arguably took a downgrade at WR since Sanders went to the Saints.  They are primed for a Super Bowl hangover.

4.  Los Angeles Rams

I don't see it with the Rams.  Wade Phillips is a hell of a DC and they fired him.  They lost their best LB in FA, the line still sucks, they traded off Cooks and the league has figured out Sean McVay.  The Rams are in for a long season.

PLAYOFFS

AFC

1.  Kansas City Chiefs

2.  Indianapolis Colts

3.  Baltimore Ravens

4.  Miami Dolphins

5.  Pittsburgh Steelers

6.  Buffalo Bills

7.  Denver Broncos

NFC

1.  Seattle Seahawks

2.  Dallas Cowboys

3.  Minnesota Vikings

4.  New Orleans Saints

5.  Arizona Cardinals

6.  Tampa Bay Buccaneers

7.  San Francisco 49ers

Wild Card

Colts over Broncos

Ravens over Bills

Steelers over Dolphins

Cowboys over 49ers

Buccaneers over Vikings

Cardinals over Saints

Divisional

Chiefs over Steelers

Ravens over Colts

Seahawks over Buccaneers

Cardinals over Cowboys

Conference

Chiefs over Ravens

Seahawks over Cardinals

Super Bowl 55

Chiefs 38 Seahawks 30

On 4/25/2020 at 7:29 PM, xen said:

Cowgirls had a terrific draft as well.  Hate to say it but I agree on them.  Personally I think Dak is overrated but that offense should be good if mccarthy screwed his head back on during his year off.

Dak Prescott is a mid-tier QB for sure, but Garrett really under performed.

8 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

Dak Prescott is a mid-tier QB for sure, but Garrett really under performed.

Supposedly, McCarthy decided to stop being an obstinate asshole and look into this whole spread thing all the kids are talking about nowadays.  We'll see.  He ain't no Andy Reid.

Agree with nearly all of this. I think the NFC WEST could literally be upside down.. I think it could shake out with any one of those teams winning the division. Even the rams if McVay bounces back and Goff gets back on track. 

17 hours ago, xen said:

Supposedly, McCarthy decided to stop being an obstinate asshole and look into this whole spread thing all the kids are talking about nowadays.  We'll see.  He ain't no Andy Reid.

Next thing you know, he'll be listening to that weird stuff called Hip Hop.  He will unironically call it Hippo Hop, though.

16 hours ago, jetlord said:

Can't argue with any of that except I'd probably rand the Bills ahead of the Fish. 

This sort of circles around like the Raiders situation a bit.  I don't think the Bills are confident

14 hours ago, Calichief said:

Agree with nearly all of this. I think the NFC WEST could literally be upside down.. I think it could shake out with any one of those teams winning the division. Even the rams if McVay bounces back and Goff gets back on track. 

The NFC West always makes things interesting.

50 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

I don’t see the 49ers falling that hard. It’s one thing to crack the code with mahomes and company but not everyone has the tools to do it. I hope I’m wrong.  I hate em

What was their record when playing good team the second half of the schedule? 5-3 I believe. Now they must play a 1st schedule plus their division opponents improved too. I could see them with 5 or 6 losses.

I think Dak had the year of his life. Don’t think he ever sees 4900 again. I could be wrong. Still blows my mind that you can have the #1 offense and #9 defense and not even get a wild card.

I just realized the top five QBs by yards all missed the playoffs. Just kind of a strange year.

• 1 month later...

I think we mostly agree. Here's some long-winded reading from yours truly.

AFC North

1.  Baltimore Ravens

They had a phenomenal offseason defensively, adding Derek Wolfe (DEN) and Justin Madubuike (Rd 3) to that defensive line while adding playmakers at LB with Patrick Queen (Rd 1) and Malik Harrison (Rd 3). They’ll continue being a run-first team and added some beef to the offensive line (Tyre Phillips in 3 and Ben Bredeson in 4) as well as a special tailback that could bring back images of an early Ray Rice in JK Dobbins (Rd 2). I like them to repeat as division champs, and by quite a bit.  

2.  Pittsburgh Steelers

The Steelers go as Ben Roethlisberger goes, so him staying healthy is paramount. This team added Stefen Wisniewski (KC) at LG and Eric Ebron (IND) at TE, along with Chase Claypool (Rd 2) at WR so they didn’t ignore the offense. That said, I don’t feel they did enough to improve much this offseason elsewhere and if Ben goes down again, they could sink to #4.

3.  Cleveland Browns

Every year we talk about the paper Browns, but they never perform. New coach, new system, limited offseason just leaves more questions. They did well in adding Jedrick Wills at LT (Rd 1) to protect Baker and added a solid #2 TE in Austin Hooper (ATL). They also added a player at FS in Grant Delpit (Rd 2). They have a good front 4 but they should have growing pains at LB. I’m not sold they can stop the rushing attacks in this division well enough to compete yet.

4.  Cincinnati Bengals

The Bengals should throw Joe Burrow to the wolves and hope for the best. He has a good supporting cast with the addition of Tee Higgins (Rd 2) at WR to go with Tyler Boyd and RB Joe Mixon, plus they should have a solid offensive line with Jonah Williams stepping in at LT and the addition of Xavier Su’a-Filo at RG. The defense should get a boost with the addition of DJ Reader at NT and NB Trae Waynes, plus they have a solid young trio of linebackers.

AFC South

1.  Indianapolis Colts

I’m by no means sleeping on the Colts as they could be a major threat to win this division. Adding Philip Rivers (LAC) at QB, Michael Pittman Jr (Rd 2) at WR, and Jonathan Taylor (Rd 2) at RB were huge improvements offensively. The additions of DeForest Buckner (t/SF) at DT and Xavier Rhodes (MIN) at CB could pay huge dividends defensively. It really comes down to Rivers establishing offensive consistency and protecting the football, and I think he has a better chance of doing that with a better offensive line and skill players in Indy.

2. Houston Texans

The division isn’t good, and Bill O’Brien may look like an “idiot.” I’m giving him a bit of the benefit of the doubt here and looking at the moves overall, and he may honestly end up looking like a mad genius. Laremy Tunsil was a huge get from Miami last year at LT and Max Scharping (LG) and Tytus Howard (RT) should be huge in year 2 in making a spectacular offensive line. and he looks to be moving to the Chiefs’ concept of speed everywhere at WR with Cooks (trade with LAR), Fuller, and Stills and spreading the ball around. Ross Blacklock was a great pick at DE in round 2 and Jonathan Greenard (Rd 3) could add some punch to that pass rush. Gareon Conley (t/OAK) and Bradley Roby (DEN) were solid additions that should improve their CB play. I’m tempted to keep them on top of this division and it should be a dog fight.

3. Tennessee Titans

It felt like the Titans offseason was spent putting out fires, or should I just say replacing losses. They burned a round 1 pick on Isaiah Wilson to replace the departed Jack Conklin at RT and spent free agent money and their 2nd round pick on Malcolm Butler (NE) and Kristian Fulton to replace the departed Logan Ryan. The team did little to improve over last year’s AFC title game team so I see them really taking a step backward and possibly missing the playoffs.

4.  Jacksonville Jaguars

The Jaguars’ fire sale of 2019 shouldn’t go for naught, but they are hinging their hopes to Gardner Minshew so that’s a saga we’ll have to see play out. The Jags added stud ILB Joe Schobert (CLE) and solid veteran CB Rashaan Melvin (DET) in free agency, plus added talent in the draft with CB CJ Henderson (Rd 1), LB K’Lavon Chaisson (Rd 1), and DT Davon Hamilton (Rd 3) so we should see a rejuvenated defense. We’ll have to see if free-agent TE Tyler Eifert (CIN) and WR Laviska Shenault (Rd 2) can add a bit more punch to their offense. All that said, I think it’ll take some time to rebuild this program and get everyone back on the same page.

AFC East

1.  Buffalo Bills

There are zero excuses for Josh Allen at this point. Buffalo went out of its way to add more around him with the trade for stud WR Stefon Diggs (MIN) and drafting WR Gabriel Davis (Rd 4) and RB Zack Moss (Rd 3) to go with a solid offensive line and WRs John Brown and Cole Beasley. Defensively, the Bills completely re-vamped and improved their defensive front by adding star pass rusher Mario Addison (CAR), run-stuffing DTs Star Lotulelei (CAR), Quinton Jefferson (SEA), and Vernon Butler (CAR) to go with Ed Oliver, and drafted AJ Epenesa in round 2. They also added CB Josh Norman (WAS) to round out an already good secondary. If Buffalo doesn’t win the division this year and make at least noise in the playoffs, it's probably time to rethink their situation at QB.

2.  New England Patriots

I’ve learned one thing over the years, don’t doubt Bill Belichick. The Patriots look primed for an enormous fall but you look at what they brought back and it doesn’t look so bad. Lost Kyle Van Noy and Elandon Roberts? No problem, let’s bring in a solid player in Brandon Copeland (NYJ) and draft  Josh Uche (Rd 2) and Anfernee Jennings (Rd 3). They added two good TEs in Devin Asiasi and Dalton Keene (both Rd 3) and depth along the offensive line in true Bill fashion. They still have a stud secondary and added underrated Adrian Phillips (LAC) and drafted Kyle Dugger (Rd 2). Really, the entire season hinges on Jarrett Stidham at QB. Call me much higher on Stidham than most and called that shot last offseason that he’d be the QB Bill would target. If Stidham fails, Brian Hoyer can stabilize the ship and knows the offense. I think NE remains a formidable opponent even if they don’t quite have the firepower they once did.

3.  Miami Dolphins

The roster turnover in Miami was immense this offseason and largely was a “Patriot-ization.” The addition of Ereck Flowers (WAS) at LG, Ted Karras (NE) at OC as well as spending draft capital out the wazoo on the O-line with LT Austin Jackson (Rd 1), OG Solomon Kindley (Rd 4), and RT Robert Hunt (Rd 2) should go a long way in transforming a bad offensive line into a strength, but it will take time. They also added a super-accurate passer in Tua Tagovailoa but he’ll be taking a rookie sabbatical to heal that hip. They also made great strides on defense, adding DE Shaq Lawson (BUF), DE Emmanuel Ogbah (KC), and DT Raekwon Davis (Rd 2) to that defensive front. Greater strides were made at LB with additions of Elandon Roberts (NE), Kyle Van Noy (NE), and Curtis Weaver (Rd 5). Swiping CB Byron Jones from Dallas was the highlight of free agency and adding Noah Igbinoghene at NB in round 1 gives the Dolphins, potentially, the best CB trio in football (w/ Xavien Howard). All that turnover, a shortened offseason, and another year of Fitzmagic probably means the Dolphins don’t quite turn the corner completely this year.

4.  New York Jets

The Jets should improve in 2020 but they just aren’t there yet. The additions of LT Mekhi Becton (Rd 1) and WR Denzel Mims (Rd 2) should be huge for Sam Darnold’s development. The Jets were pretty quiet in free agency, but CB Pierre Desir (IND) was a solid pickup. I felt like ER Jabari Zuniga (Rd 3), CB Bryce Hall (Rd 5), and FS/CB Ashtyn Davis (Rd 3) were all tremendous values in the draft that could really help that team in the future. I think the Jets are at least one more draft away, needing another playmaker offensively (at minimum) and a stud edge rusher to really be a contender.

AFC West

1.  Kansas City Chiefs

The Chiefs addressed needs in the offseason in the best way a cap-strapped team can. Retaining WRs Sammy Watkins and Demarcus Robinson along with DT Chris Jones and CB Bashaud Breeland was masterful by Brett Veach. They added a premier RB weapon in Clyde Edwards-Helaire in round 1 to an already incredibly potent offense and added a steal on the O-line with OT Lucas Niang. Defensively, they shot for the moon with insanely athletic LB Willie Gay Jr and CB/FS L’Jarius Sneed, which could help them better defend the intermediate passing game where they are weak. All said, the Chiefs may have slightly improved a Super Bowl Champion team and they’ll be difficult, if not impossible, to unseat in the AFC.

2. Las Vegas Raiders

The Raiders improved a bunch in 2019 defensively and look to have added much more in 2020. The additions of DT Maliek Collins (DAL), LBs Cory Littleton (LAR) and Nick Kwiatkoski (CHI), SS Damarious Randall (CLE),  SS Jeff Heath (DAL) and CB Prince Amukamara (CHI) were all huge additions to a team that saw a hugely improved front 4 with Maxx Crosby and Clelin Ferrell anchoring the edges. They also added CB Damon Arnette (Rd 1) and NB Amik Robinson (Rd 4) to that secondary. Tanner Muse (Rd 3) could prove to be a surprisingly solid pick as a WLB. You look at where the Raiders struggled last year on offense and they added a burner at WR in Henry Ruggs III (Rd 1) and a stellar possession receiver in Bryan Edwards (Rd 3) as well as solid OG in John Simpson (Rd 4). Lynn Bowden, Jr. (Rd 3) checks in as a multi-dimensional athlete that could be a Taysom Hill-type player or even better. The Raiders are not a team to sleep on but they likely don’t have enough to unseat KC.

2.  Denver Broncos

The Broncos will go as the development of Drew Lock goes. John Elway appears to be hedging his bets on the young QB and went out of his way to establish weapons around him. They revamped the O-line by letting free agents walk and adding RG Graham Glasgow (DET) and OC Lloyd Cushenberry III (Rd 3). They also added a ton of perimeter talent with Jerry Jeudy (Rd 1) and KJ Hamler (Rd 2) at receiver, TE Albert Okwuegbunham (Rd 4), and RB Melvin Gordon (LAC) to go with WR Courtland Sutton and RB Phillip Lindsay. There really are no excuses. The problem for Denver may lie defensively where they lost some talent. That said, they did make some splash trades for DE Jurrell Casey (TEN) and CB AJ Bouye (JAX) while adding CB Michael Ojemudia (Rd 3) and DT McTelvin Agim (Rd 3). All that said, Denver has a ton of youth and that may present a tall task in a division that is pretty talented across the board.

4. Los Angeles Chargers

The Chargers really have a solid roster but the QB situation could be problematic. Bryan Bulaga (GB) was a nice addition at LT, as was NT Linval Joseph (MIN) and CB Chris Harris Jr. (DEN). That said they had an uninspiring draft with the only key additions being the athletic Kenneth Murray (Rd 1) at ILB and QB Justin Herbert (Rd 1). Herbert is a guy I see a lot like Drew Lock in that he has some major issues and needs at least a year of seasoning on the bench, plus he could end up a monumental bust. The Chargers have a really good defense so that should help them stay in games again, but if Tyrod Taylor can’t carry the offense then they will be picking at the top in 2021.

NFC North

1.  Minnesota Vikings

The Vikings made some solid offseason moves but the question is really whether they can get on top of the Packers who visited the NFC title game again. Trading disgruntled WR Stefon Diggs and replacing him with Justin Jefferson (Rd 1) looks like a nice move that may actually add some speed. Ezra Cleveland was a really good pick in Rd 2 as a developmental LT while Riley Reiff holds down the fort in the short-term. Losing Linval Joseph looked like a bad thing until they landed Michael Pierce (BAL) in free agency, which should maintain that formidable front 4. The Vikings' decision to let their free-agent CBs go and draft replacements could prove to be the best decision they made all year. Jeff Gladney (Rd 1) and Cameron Dantzler (rd 3) provide them another speedy CB and a physical player that could even play some safety, respectively. Troy Dye (Rd 4) could prove to be a quality pick at WLB as could CB Harrison Hand (Rd 5). All said, can they surpass GB? I say yes.

2.  Green Bay Packers

The Packers didn’t do much to improve on their 2019 NFC Championship appearance. They went for broke in the draft on Aaron Rodgers eventual replacement, added a fistful of late day-3 offensive lineman, and then added a bruising rusher in AJ Dillon (Rd 2) and a lead blocker in Josiah Deguara (Rd 3). This hardly improves an offense that sputtered in the playoffs, especially due to subpar WR play. The Packers are really banking on the emergence of Equamineous St. Brown at the position and continued productivity from their 3rd and 4th receivers. A tall task. Meanwhile, the Packers only change defensively was letting go of a good MLB in Blake Martinez for another in Christian Kirksey (CLE). I see the Pack taking a step back, but they still have Rodgers and that’s dangerous.

3.  Detroit Lions

The Lions always feel like Cleveland West and I don’t know if I feel any different this year. They have a talented roster that will ultimately suck and I don’t know that they really improved it over 2019. The additions of Jonah Jackson (Rd 3) at RG and Vaitai Halapoulivaati (PHI) at RT will surely help keep some pressure off of Matt Stafford but it's not like they lost bad players in Rick Wagner and Graham Glasgow. They did little else offensively outside of crowd the RB room with the addition of D’Andre Swift (Rd 2). While Swift may prove to be a much better back than Kerryon Johnson, I felt like they really needed to add a speed element to their receiving corps like KJ Hamler or Denzel Mims (taken later). Defensively, the Lions were confusing at best. They added DT Danny Shelton, which doesn’t seem like an enormous improvement over Snacks but may help. They added Jamie Collins (NE), Reggie Ragland (KC), and Elijah Lee (SF) at LB  but it seems unlikely any but one starts (Collins), and I question Collins being a great pickup at age 31. They also traded away one of the game’s best CBs in Darius Slay only to add an aging Desmond Trufant to replace him. They should have added Okudah to Slay so this looks more like a lateral move now than ever. I just see a ton of ineffective rotation of pieces here that will get them nowhere.

4.  Chicago Bears

Da Bears… Going all-in on Khalil Mack was bonafide stupidity and now it's showing in spades. The Bears had little draft capital to make any meaningful improvements and didn’t do much of anything in free agency to add to the team. Adding Robert Quinn (DAL) as a bookend rusher to Mack was the zenith of their offseason, but is it enough? Certainly 2nd round pick Jaylon Johnson will help at CB. Free-agent Artie Burns, though, may not fare as well at the position and should ultimately find his calling at NB. The Bears did trade for QB Nick Foles (JAX) and he knows the system from his time in KC so that at least gives Nagy and company a fallback plan when Trubisky falls on his face again. All said, I just don’t think this team has the talent to keep pace in this division even if Foles comes in to be the savior.

NFC South

1.  New Orleans Saints

So long as Drew Brees is the QB of the Saints, they’ll be competing for this division. They have a stellar offensive line to protect him and ensured they’d continue that legacy with the addition of RG Cesar Ruiz (Rd 1). The offense is potent as hell and added WR Emmanuel Sanders (SF) for more speed. Defensively, the Saints didn’t do much, but the additions of FS Malcolm Jenkins (PHI) and LB Zach Baun (Rd 3) were noteworthy in spots that needed the most improvement. Even with Tom now in Tampa, I don’t see the Bucs having enough to unseat the Saints.

2.  Tampa Bay Buccaneers

The foundation of the Bucs was already here before this offseason and the only thing really holding them back has been the lack of fundamental development in decision-making from Jameis Winston at QB. They did well to add Tom Brady (NE) at QB, Tristan Wirfs (Rd 1) at RT and Ke’Shawn Vaughn (Rd 3) at RB to help fortify the offense. I don’t know what type of player we’ll see in Rob Gronkowski (t/NE) at TE at this point but he’s probably going to play second to OJ Howard anyhow. Defensively, the Bucs added nothing much outside of rookie S Antoine Winfield (Rd 2) and I’m not sure he sees the field much outside of nickel and dime packages. So, the real question is, is Tom Brady enough to elevate Tampa Bay from a 7-9 team to a playoff contender? He just well put them in the playoffs on ball control alone but the Saints are just a better team.

3.  Atlanta Falcons

The Falcons aren’t a bad team, but they can’t get over the Saints, and having Tom Brady guiding the Bucs will make things worse. Matt Ryan is a solid QB, but he just doesn’t seem to have the killer instinct to push his team over the top. Offensively, they added Matt Hennessy (Rd 3) to eventually replace Alex Mack and signed Todd Gurley (LAR). We should see about the same thing we’ve seen from this team in that regard. Defensively, there were significant changes. The Falcons traded for ER Dante Fowler (LAR), which could pay off huge in this division. They also added a disruptive interior penetrator in Marlon Davidson (Rd 2) and a good CB in AJ Terrell (Rd 1) to play opposite Isaiah Oliver. Overall, the Falcons are going to push the Bucs for a playoff spot but I question if they have enough.

4.  Carolina Panthers

I really do like what Matt Rhule has done in Carolina. Adding Teddy Bridgewater (NO) at QB, trading for LT Russell Okung (LAC), and signing WR Robby Anderson (NYJ) were big boy moves on a team that needed to desperately improve offensively in a division full of loaded guns. He then went on to spend his entire draft on defense and it will pay dividends.  Derrick Brown (Rd 1) looks to be a stud NT, they got steals on ER Yetur Gross-Matos (Rd 2) and SS Jeremy Chinn (Rd 2) who could both start, and CB Troy Pride Jr. (Rd 4) looks like he’ll be a good NB. Getting CB Eli Apple from division rival New Orleans was also a nice get. While I feel this team made all the right moves, there are too many moving parts in an odd offseason for me to feel like they can gel and make a push for the top.

NFC East

1.  Philadelphia Eagles

The Eagles are only a year removed from a Super Bowl win and still have a good majority of the talent in place. I think they made good moves by going all-in on trying to fix the receiver position by trading for Marquise Goodwin (SF) then adding three more in the draft with Jalen Reagor (Rd 1) and John Hightower (Rd 5), and Quez Watkins (Rd 6). The crème will definitely have to rise to the top at this point. Jack Driscoll was a nice swing piece on the offensive line in round 4. Adding Jalen Hurts (Rd 2) as a backup to the oft-injured Carson Wentz was a wise move. I think with the offensive line and other talents at receiver and RB, this team should end up with a really good offense. Defensively, the additions of Javon Hargrave (PIT) and Malik Jackson (JAX) were good gets at tackle and should give them a formidable defensive line once again. The trade for stud CB Darius Slay (DET) and addition of free agent NB Nickell Robey-Coleman (LAR) were huge additions to that secondary that should help stabilize and improve it. I have the Eagles maintaining the top spot over Dallas.

2.  Dallas Cowboys

I definitely considered Dallas for the number 1 team in this division but I’m just not sure yet. Retaining Amari Cooper and landing CeeDee Lamb (Rd 1) at WR were huge for their offseason and definitely helps Dak Prescott. Overall, that’s really the only improvement we saw offensively outside of getting Tyler Biadasz (Rd 4) at OC to eventually replace Joe Looney. Defensively, the Cowboys lost a lot in DT Maliek Collins, CB Byron Jones, DE Robert Quinn, and S Jeff Heath. I really don’t think they replaced Quinn (11.5 sacks) and their only draft pick there was Bradlee Anae in round 5. The Cowboys replaced Maliek Collins by adding veterans Dontari Poe and Gerald McCoy and that may improve the DT position at both spots for them short-term. Dallas may have gotten a slight upgrade at SS with the signing of HaHa Clinton-Dix but definitely have a way to go in replacing Byron Jones with rookies Trevon Diggs (Rd 2) and Reggie Robinson II (Rd 4) vying for time. Overall, I see less ability to cover on the perimeter and generate pressure off the edge in 2020, and that’s a setback the offensive may not overcome.

3. New York Giants

The Giants definitely put in some work last year and this year in an effort to improve the offensive line. Gettleman spent his first-round pick on Andrew Thomas who should play RT right away and may swing to the left side when Solder hangs them up. He also added OT Matt Peart (Rd 3) and OG Shane Lemieux (Rd 5) to develop. This bodes well for Matt Barkley and Daniel Jones but I think the WR corps is still lacking enough talent to put that offense on par with Philly or Dallas. The addition of S Xavier McKinney (Rd 2) should push the terrible Jabrill Peppers to the sideline and coupled with the addition of CB James Bradberry (CAR) should improve that secondary. If ER Kyler Fackrell (GB) can return to 2018 form, he’ll be a huge addition. Fellow ex-Packer Blake Martinez was a good addition at ILB. Overall, Gettleman is systematically improving the roster but the dividends are likely a couple of years out.

4.  Washington Redskins

That defense looks pretty stout. The addition of stud DE Chase Young (Rd 1) to an already outstanding defensive front (Sweat, Payne, Allen, Kerrigan – all Rd 1 picks) is sick. The ‘Skins also brought in FS Sean Davis (PIT) who was good in 2018 and brought back CB Kendall Fuller (KC) to help stabilize the secondary. Overall, the Redskins hopes lie on the QB position with Haskins and Allen battling it out. They have a solid overall core elsewhere in the unit, but LT could be problematic. Saahdiq Charles (Rd 4) could find early work at LG and RB Antonio Gibson (Rd 3) could be a spark plug they desperately need. This team just doesn’t look talented enough to me though to compete in the division and probably have a top 5 pick again.

NFC West

1.  Seattle Seahawks

You must like the fact that the Seahawks finally did something to address their ragged offensive line. OC BJ Finney (PIT) and RTs Cedric Ogbuehi (JAX) and Brandon Shell (NYJ) to go along with Damien Lewis (Rd 3) should revamp the protection in front of Russell Wilson. They also added RB Carlos Hyde (HOU) and TEs Greg Olsen (CAR) and Colby Parkinson (Rd 4) to help depth. WR Phillip Dorsett (NE) should give Wilson a nice slot to throw to once again. Defensively, it looked like old Pete Carroll, taking players that made people go “what?” You must like the fit though. Jordyn Brooks (Rd 1) is a good looking LB and probably steps right in as the SLB. The trade for Quinton Dunbar (WAS) at CB is underrated and borderline robbery (5th rounder) in my opinion and could give the Seahawks that big set of lockdown guys they had during the Legion of Boom years. Bringing Bruce Irvin back in at the Leo reeked of desperation but adding Darrell Taylor (Rd 2) as his heir made the pickup make more sense and gave the team clear direction. I think the Seahawks made all the right moves and have them back atop the division.

2.  San Francisco 49ers

The 49ers are a bit of a mystery this year as everything they did was lateral moves. That said, they retained a potent roster that nearly won the Super Bowl and has the defense to hang with anyone. They’ll push for the top spot in the West again and certainly be a playoff team. I’ll say, I really like a few moves this team made. First off is the trade for Trent Williams (WAS) at LT which not only took the sting out of losing Joe Staley, but may have improved the position, and they got him for peanuts (5th in 2020 and 3rd in 2021). Their first-round pick of DT Javon Kinlaw is a lateral move to retaining DeForest Buckner, but they are basically the same type of player and Kinlaw gives them 5 years on the cheap and helps their cap situation. Their other pick in the first round went to WR Brandon Aiyuk, who I see as a major upgrade over Emmanuel Sanders and will give them a potent 1-2 punch at the position. All said this is a team that, much like Kansas City, didn’t do much to improve in the offseason but made the right moves to remain relevant at the top. I do think they take a small step back as teams put the emphasis on forcing Jimmy G to win games after seeing KC do exactly that in the big game and have them fall to #2 in the division.

3.  Arizona Cardinals

Who can’t get on board with the Cardinals’ trade for DeAndre Hopkins? With Kirk and Fitzgerald in-house, that gives them some weapons for Kyler Murray. Josh Jones (Rd 3) was a great pickup at RT and RB Eno Benjamin (Rd 7) could prove a steal in round 7. That said, are these moves enough in a defense driven division? Speaking of defense, you have to like what the Cards did there as well. The signing of stud NT Jordan Phillips (BUF) and addition of Leki Fotu (Rd 4) at the position should shore up any issues with interior run defense. De’Vondre Campbell (ATL) gives them a sideline-to-sideline LB and then they added another in the draft with Isaiah Simmons (Rd 1), virtually copying their division rivals in Seattle and San Francisco with two athletic linebackers on the field at all times. Overall, I really like this football team and the direction they are going. They could end up a major surprise team in 2020 if Kyler Murray continues the trajectory he laid out as a rookie. All that said, I don’t think they have quite enough experience yet to upset Seattle or San Fran at the top.

4.  Los Angeles Rams

Getting rid of Wade Phillips could prove stupidity at its finest in LA and losing LB Cory Littleton and NB Nickell Robey-Coleman will be huge but I don’t see the wheels coming off just yet. I really like their pick of Terrell Lewis (Rd 3) to replace Dante Fowler. Cam Akers (Rd 2) should be a huge improvement, in my opinion, over Todd Gurley at RB in this offense. WR Van Jefferson (Rd 2) and TE Brycen Hopkins (Rd 4) were two of my favorite skill players in this draft and are both route-running aces for rookies coming in and should both make a difference for a team that relies on quick-opening routes. Picking up NT A’Shawn Robinson (DET) should help the run defense some. Major knocks are signing Leonard Floyd (CHI), what a waste of cap space that should have gone to retaining Littleton, and using a 3rd round pick on a safety (Terrell Burgess) when you have two good starters instead of finding more offensive line help. I think we’ll see a decline in LA this year but I’m not so sure it’s long-lived.

AFC

1.    Kansas City Chiefs

2.    Baltimore Ravens

3.    Buffalo Bills

4.    Indianapolis Colts

5.    Pittsburgh Steelers

6.    Houston Texans

7.    Las Vegas Raiders

NFC

1.    New Orleans Saints

2.    Seattle Seahawks

3.    Minnesota Vikings

4.    Philadelphia Eagles

5.    Tampa Bay Buccaneers

6.    San Francisco 49ers

7.    Green Bay Packers

Wildcard

2 Ravens over 7 Raiders

6 Texans over 3 Bills

4 Colts over 5 Steelers

2 Seahawks over 7 Packers

3 Vikings over 6 49ers

5 Buccaneers over 4 Eagles

Divisional

1 Chiefs over 6 Texans

2 Ravens over 4 Colts

1 Saints over 5 Buccaneers

2 Seahawks over 3 Vikings

Championship

1 Chiefs over 2 Ravens

2 Seahawks over 1 Saints

Super Bowl 55

Chiefs 31 over Seahawks 21

• 2 weeks later...

You

On 6/16/2020 at 3:22 AM, kccrow said:

I think we mostly agree. Here's some long-winded reading from yours truly.

AFC North

1.  Baltimore Ravens

They had a phenomenal offseason defensively, adding Derek Wolfe (DEN) and Justin Madubuike (Rd 3) to that defensive line while adding playmakers at LB with Patrick Queen (Rd 1) and Malik Harrison (Rd 3). They’ll continue being a run-first team and added some beef to the offensive line (Tyre Phillips in 3 and Ben Bredeson in 4) as well as a special tailback that could bring back images of an early Ray Rice in JK Dobbins (Rd 2). I like them to repeat as division champs, and by quite a bit.  

No mention of Calais Campbell? Pass rush was the issue last year on defense and it got infinitely better - Judon is going to be double digits this year, they will blitz less (most blitzing defense in the NFL last year) and with the secondary, sit back and wait to pick off passes.